Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TeleVue Genesis

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Hey!!😬

This is Tak talk!!

can we keep it there please?  :grin:

Check the thread title Gerry 😉

I have three 4”’fracs, all very different.

Genesis f5

FC100DC f7.4

Vixen FL102S f8.8

The Tak get used the most, the Genesis is best for those wide field views, and the Vixen has a little advantage at higher powers just because it’s a little easier to get there with the longer focal length. It’s bigger and needs a stronger mount so gets used less.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Have you considered a Tak?

:hiding:

If you can find me one for 800 quid I might think about it, otherwise no. 

I don’t know what people on here do for a living, but not everyone can afford to pay a couple of thousand pounds plus for a telescope. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RobertI said:

You just want a telescope with the name “Genesis” in the title. 😉

It hadn’t escaped me. I also have a Gibraltar HD4 to put it on.

incidentally have you seen the prices of these recently? £1,600, I could not believe it. There is absolutely no justification for that price. I paid 600 second hand and I thought that was a stretch. Nice mount mind, I would never get rid off it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:

I don’t know what people on here do for a living, but not everyone can afford to pay a couple of thousand pounds plus for a telescope.

I know the feeling. However, since I paid off my mortgage and other debts I have an enormous amount of money spare each month... I'd willingly trade that back for my youth though (65 in a couple of days).
As a result I'm changing scope with an (almost) unlimited budget and the much loved Starfield 102 f7 will be up for sale soon - probably after I get back from holiday. It will be missed but onwards and upwards as they say :tongue2:

39 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

As a result I'm changing scope with an (almost) unlimited budget and the much loved Starfield 102 f7 will be up for sale soon - probably after I get back from holiday. It will be missed but onwards and upwards as they say :tongue2:

I may have missed a whole discussion on this, but what are you planning to get Michael?

3 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I may have missed a whole discussion on this, but what are you planning to get Michael?

Same question from me as well.

Makes me curious as I am in pain over a 4" replacement scope at the minute.

4 hours ago, John said:

… then my Vixen ED102SS popped up for sale at quite a bit less from a trusted SGL seller, so I opted for that instead … Vixen is named after one of Santa's reindeer, apparently !

I must say ED102SS is a decidedly odd name for a reindeer 😄

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, John said:

So the eulogising did not put you off for too long then ?

I took a time out to clear my mind of all the noise. Then took the reasoned decision, free of influence, to get what I wanted :wink2:

I'd always planned another scope, ideally for my birthday (65 this week). I spent months trying to decide on size: 120 was only a bit bigger, so not much point; 130 to 150 would need a new mount so defeating the object of staying light. So, it had to be another 4". But, this is a topic for another thread as this one is about a TV :wink2:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Already got :wink2: See the change in my sig :tongue2:

Ah, got it (I can’t see signatures in mobile view on my phone), super scope, I plan to go the same route at some point.  Sorry OP for diverting thread. 👍

Oh the irony. Funny, I bought just what I wanted too 👍.

Anyway, back to the Genesis. I know this has been knocked off the list for the OP, but they don’t get discussed often so back on track.

These are a few threads of observing experiences I have had with my Genesis scopes which may be of interest.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Ah, got it (I can’t see signatures in mobile view on my phone), super scope, I plan to go the same route at some point.  Sorry OP for diverting thread. 👍

If you put your phone into landscape mode the sig should appear. I learnt that today from @Littleguy80 .

• Like 1

Why does every thread about refractors always end up turning into a conversation about about Takahashi’s. Seriously folks, what is the point of any one posting about any other brand of refractor when always heads in one absolutely predictable direction, it’s getting to be a waste of time. 

Nevermind…

Anyway I am still thinking about it, sorry it’s not a Takahashi chaps. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Oh, just tried that on an iPhone 11 Pro and it didn’t work 😕

When I do it there’s also a little cross bottom right of the post which allows it to be revealed or otherwise - do you get that small cross?

Edited by Captain Scarlet

35 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:

Why does every thread about refractors always end up turning into a conversation about about Takahashi’s. Seriously folks, what is the point of any one posting about any other brand of refractor when always heads in one absolutely predictable direction, it’s getting to be a waste of time. 

Nevermind…

That's a fair point. A decade or so back they were hardly ever mentioned on this forum. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John said:

That's a fair point. A decade or so back they were hardly ever mentioned on this forum. 

Back then it was all TV :wink2: Fads and cliques come and go, the TV one had its day :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Back then it was all TV :wink2: Fads and cliques come and go, the TV one had its day :smile:

Two companies who have been manufacturing astronomical equipment for 46 and  77 years respectively and are still regarded as leaders in their field. Fads and cliques 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

When I do it there’s also a little cross bottom right of the post which allows it to be revealed or otherwise - do you get that small cross?

No, I don’t see that, is that on iOS or Android?

2 hours ago, Moonlit Knight said:

Nevermind…

I did try to drag it back to the Genesis!

Don’t think there is much to think about regarding whether to keep the Starfield ie Keep the Starfield!

• Like 3