Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yet another C2022 E3 (ZTF) 30.01.2023 - First ever comet stack

Here's my attempt and my first proper comet stack...  We had a few hours of clear skies this evening in Somerset so I thought I'd have a go at C2022 E3.  Couldn't resist trying to process it this evening too.

1hr 40mins of 60s exposures with the Redcat51 and the 2600mc unfiltered.  Comet and star stacking all carried out in Siril.  Images brought together and refined in GIMP.  Added the comet stack from Siril too.

C2022_E3_ZTF_Low.jpg

Comet2_2_low.jpeg

Edited by Zummerzet_Leveller
Added raw stack
  • Like 31

That is wonderful! I wouldn't call it an attempt, you nailed that and I see two small fuzzies there too. Oh i love the second one even more! I have to say its the first Ive seen with the ghostly star trails, it really works

well!.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Thank you very much.  Just added the raw stack from Siril too.  Hopefully to show that I haven't exaggerated the tail.  Don't want too much artistic licence. 🙂

What’s interesting to me is the length and laser like straightness of the tail, it’s not dispersing much, I have seen time lapses where the tail dispersed a lot more, I would think of it happens to be shielded from solar wind at some point in its orbit it may preserve the tails structure better.

16 hours ago, Sunshine said:

What’s interesting to me is the length and laser like straightness of the tail, it’s not dispersing much, I have seen time lapses where the tail dispersed a lot more, I would think of it happens to be shielded from solar wind at some point in its orbit it may preserve the tails structure better.

I wonder if we'll see that change in the coming days if the clouds dissipate here in the UK anyway.  It's been great looking at the images as it changes over time.  I'd certainly like to try imaging it again with an even wider FOV as I think that tail could be picked up over some distance given the right imaging set up, maybe the Samyang 135mm.  Shame we have a moon to contend with now.

That is an absolute cracker of an image. Gawd, I’d be pleased with at. Beautifully sharp. What an interesting shape it is.

I think there is something a bit special about taking pics of comets. I’ve only ever done it a few times. The main thing is that the image is pretty much unique. No one is going to get exactly that self same image …. ever. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, powerlord said:

how did you get siril to do this ? I tried the comet registration and stacking, and the result i got had not start, but just a blob of a comet - no tail, etc SO I feel I'm doing something wrong here...

Looks like you managed to suss out the process. I found that dropping the high sigma helped with the minimisation of the stars. I kept the start and finish selections just to the head of the comet.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2023 at 18:50, Ouroboros said:

That is an absolute cracker of an image. Gawd, I’d be pleased with at. Beautifully sharp. What an interesting shape it is.

I think there is something a bit special about taking pics of comets. I’ve only ever done it a few times. The main thing is that the image is pretty much unique. No one is going to get exactly that self same image …. ever. 

I was really chuffed with this. Certainly keen to try for it again when we have clear skies and a little less moon.

• Like 2

On 01/02/2023 at 21:37, Neil_104 said:

Excellent images! I love the way the ion tail splits those two galaxies

Thanks Neil.  All down to chance and picking the middle frame to stack against.

11 hours ago, Chris-h said:

Stunning! Best one I have seen so far

Thank you Chris, I think I've decided to print the final image now. A good toilet wall momento and talking piece.

1 hour ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Thank you Chris, I think I've decided to print the final image now. A good toilet wall momento and talking piece.

Ah the toilet...mans last refuge! The wife asked me where I was putting up some pictures I had printed a while back. I did not even get to 'room' in 'living room' before that discussion was over 🤣

Edited by Chris-h
  • Haha 1