Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Handle for Starwave 102 ED-R

I have a very nice Altair Astro scope handle. Right now it is deployed on our observatory door but it has also carried telescopes. :grin:

They are also potential DIY projects, this one being quickly attachable to an SCT too heavy to be moved by one person (with the possible exception of the renowned imager Strong Man Mike who has been photographed carrying an observatory...)

247218599_Meadehandle.jpg.5c3054c984d0dc5dba5dabbc314686c1.jpg

Personally, I think handles are sensible and reassuring things.

Olly

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Personally, I think handles are sensible and reassuring things.

I have a ‘strap’ arrangement on my C8 which goes around the OTA. It works really well as I’ve attached it at the centre of gravity of the OTA and arranged it so that when you pick up the scope, the dovetail is at the side and makes it so easy to attach to the mount. Doesn’t look as nice as a handle though! 

• Like 1

On 15/11/2022 at 18:27, Carl Au said:

Has anyone fitted a handle to a TS/Altair/Starwave 102 ED-R. 

Not the 102, but yes to my 125. I purchased the WO handle from @FLO. Not inexpensive, but a quality piece of equipment.

Honest opinion; it's transformed the use of the scope; attaching / balancing the scope to the Sabre Mount is now easy at the start of the night, more so, taking the scope off the mount when tired and with cold hands after a night of observing. Wish I'd bought one sooner, but was waiting for Altair to have stocks of their dedicated one since 2018!

Good luck,

Chris

Somebody made one out of an old, wide leather belt for their 102-ish something or other.  Cut to length, punched a couple holes with grommets, screwed it on.  A nylon web belt might work - those things seem indestructible.  FWIW.

People have also mentioned yoga mat straps.  

4 hours ago, Stu said:

‘Twas a joke sir, you must be fortunate enough to have missed the antics of Messrs @JeremyS and @johninderby on the subject of handles 😉. A lucky escape for you by all account!

Yes, SGL has become a “centre of excellence” for handles. Hope you didn’t take it the wrong way  @Carl Au .

Just do search for plastic (polyamide or bakelite) "U handle" or "Pull handle" on the net and you'll get variety of sources for things that you can use as telescope handle.

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/MroMax-Plastic-Household-Cabinet-Cupboard/dp/B081GVS1WR/ref=sr_1_37?crid=U1BIV702Q0KC&keywords=u+handles+polyamide&qid=1668718260&sprefix=u+handles+polyami%2Caps%2C333&sr=8-37