NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fireball...

This footages is amazing. You can see the pressure waves interacting with the light cloud 

Actually, after thinking about it and talking to someone else think it's just light reflection from the clouds. Still very impressive to see visually. 

Edited by Simon128D
  • Like 5

Saw this from NW Cumbria while out waiting for the Moon Uranus occultation. Picked up directly south and followed for about 5-10 seconds, lowish and almost parallel to the horizon as it headed to the west. The firework descriptions are very apt, just like a Nov 5th rocket. Slow moving for a meteor, initially orange, then brightening to blue white before disintegrating, at least partly

Cheers

Robin

Edited by robin_astro
  • Like 2

Of course, it might not be a meteor or space junk at all.

Anglo Saxon Chronicle 793AD

Here were dreadful forewarnings come over the land of Northumbria, and woefully terrified the people: these were amazing sheets of lightning and whirlwinds, and fiery dragons were seen flying in the sky. A great famine soon followed these signs, and shortly after in the same year, on the sixth day before the ides of January, the woeful inroads of heathen men destroyed god’s church in Lindisfarne island by fierce robbery and slaughter. And Sicga died on the eighth day before the calends of March.

10 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

Of course, it might not be a meteor or space junk at all.

Anglo Saxon Chronicle 793AD

Here were dreadful forewarnings come over the land of Northumbria, and woefully terrified the people: these were amazing sheets of lightning and whirlwinds, and fiery dragons were seen flying in the sky. A great famine soon followed these signs, and shortly after in the same year, on the sixth day before the ides of January, the woeful inroads of heathen men destroyed god’s church in Lindisfarne island by fierce robbery and slaughter. And Sicga died on the eighth day before the calends of March.

Pah, they should have tried 2020/21 on for size if they think they had it bad! 😂

• Haha 1

I do think it is interesting that these C8th forebears of ours would read so much into meteorological and astronomical phenomena.

They were equal to us in intelligence, but not in scientific knowledge. 

Having said that, I will have egg on my face if there is a Viking invasion in the next few months. 😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Saw it earlier on the news and I said space junk. Mainly because of the speed at which it was travelling, far too slow to be a meteor.

56 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

My first thought was that it was too fast to be a meteor.