NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Oxfordshire

Heids

Hi everyone, 

Enthusiastic semi noob here.  Caught the bug when Halley came over in 86, have and use some wicked Celestron binos I have had for a few years and now decided that 50 is best age to get a really heavy telescope (for me) to enjoy(!!)

Picked up a very lightly used Celestron Evoution 8 with Starsense at the weekend (that was a hot 200 mile round trip). It’s now sat waiting for the temps to get a bit more under control tonight so I can hopefully get it outside and calibrated.

I have wanted a good telescope for at least 3 decades. My husband is being very understanding  (if slightly confused):)

I am sure I will be picking a lot of brains here in the future so hello and sorry!

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Heids said:

I am sure I will be picking a lot of brains here in the future so hello and sorry!

Welcome to the Lounge Heids.

You will find a wealth of knowledge in the Lounge, just remember the the only daft questions are the ones you don't ask.

• Thanks 1

Welcome Heid from someone in the same county! I got my first telescope at age 66 in 2015, and all I can say is it doesn't get easier as you get older, so you've done the right thing 🙂. Wish you every success with your acquisition.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral
  • Thanks 1

Hi and welcome,

I worked in Oxford for 21 years some time ago, and was a founder member of what is now called the Abingdon A.S. Or so I believe. It changes its name every few years.

Now in the other place half the time.

• Thanks 1

Abingdon AS is still Abingdon AS as it has been for the last 20 years or more. It used to be Fitzharrys. The other AS in Oxfordshire is Chipping Norton in the north of the county. Abingdon is a very friendly society and starts its meetings again in September after the summer break.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/07/2022 at 09:32, Heids said:

Hi everyone, 

Enthusiastic semi noob here.  Caught the bug when Halley came over in 86, have and use some wicked Celestron binos I have had for a few years and now decided that 50 is best age to get a really heavy telescope (for me) to enjoy(!!)

On 19/07/2022 at 09:47, Froglord said:

'm also 50 this year and have only just got my first scope. Still learning lots, and this is definitely the place to do it.

Must be a 50 thing... 50 years and 2 months here.  Hated the idea so much, that I purchased my first scope yesterday to make myself feel better (after wanting one for decades... probably around 4 at a guess).  Also in Oxfordshire and lucky enough to be in a Bortle 4 (and only a knifes edge away from a 3).  Don't be too impressed though, I only found out what all that meant this week during countless hours of research :).  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

And another Oxon’ite here down in the SE corner. Welcome to SGL and also the 50 club (2 years of membership here )

This is a great place to hang out, ask questions etc when not cursing your scope, your tracking, your frozen fingers or the weather in general, or any multitude of Astro frustration. There’s a huge wealth of knowledge here so please do make the most of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Froglord said:

It's either a telescope or a red Ferrari.

One is red, facilitates a lot of 'ohhhhs' and 'ahhhhs' and costs a fortune.....  the other one is a Ferrari!

Edited by Scoobyroo
  • Haha 1