Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Total amateur saying hello

MR T

Hello all, 

I'm totally new at this but I picked up a celestron C8-N FL-1000 F/5 model #31061, and a smaller scope attached also a celestron 9x50 #51611, I think you call this a finder scope, could be totally wrong about, I picked this up a while back and had it mounted on a wooden stand that didnt work very well, so I didn't use it very much.

But last week I decided to buy a skywatcher eq5 with a SkyWatcher ENHANCED DUAL-AXIS MOTOR DRIVE FOR EQ5 MOUNT with Multi-Speed Handset and ST4 Autoguider Interface.

I've also got a DSLR Rebel t2i, and to be honest I have no idea what I'm doing. But thought I'd say hello and maybe I will pick up a few tips from here.

If anybody has any advice for me that would be well appreciated.

Oh and I'm from the UK in london so cant see any stars in the sky but I'm hoping that will change soon.

Hope you all enjoying the super hot weather and clear skies here in the uk.

MR T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Mr T and welcome to SGL.
You should be able to get some really good views from that kit.

Walk before running. By that I means go for easy viewing, like the moon and bright planets when available, to get a feel for the scope.
An EQ mount can take a bit to get your head around - set it up in daylight first.
As for photography. Worry about that later.

Enjoy the journey and keep asking questions.
You have thousands of SGL members able and willing to help.

David.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MR T said:

I've also got a DSLR Rebel t2i, and to be honest I have no idea what I'm doing.

Welcome and join the club, now 2 of us have no idea what the latest flavour of the decade is, 'IMAGING' with optico-electronic devices that provide full scale colour pictures of thingies in the heavens that visually through a 'scope resemble misty, indefinable patches of dust! Sorry folks I got ouda da wrong side of bed and am in a 'sarcy' mood 🙂

Hope all goes well 4 ya and you get a few good views of bits and pieces that roam around da skies at nighttime 🙂

Cheers...

• Haha 1

Hi and welcome Mr T- I managed some great observing when I was in London with a home made 8 inch Newtonian . Your scope will see a  load  of  interesting things despite the light pollution- have fun- best wishes Tony.

• Thanks 1

Wow, so many responses so quickly, I'm sure I'll figure this all out with the help of you lovely peeps, happy to be part of the group. I'll keep you all posted and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the warm welcome astrotologists.....

MR T, without the gold chains

• Thanks 1

Is there anything I would be able to see at day time with this scope and what lenses do you all recommend.

I have a 2x Barlow 

5x barlow

And a MEADE MA25mm,(not exactly sure what that's for) 

Also if I added the x5 to the x2, would that then make it a x10, or am I just clutching at straws with that idea?

I did say I'm a total noob.lol

18 minutes ago, MR T said:

I would be able to see at day time

Maybe SPY on the next door neighbours?

I leave the serious replies to the others..... Thus take me with a pinch of something or other 😞

Edited by SthBohemia

The moon's visible in the daytime, some of the time. The sun is also an interesting target BUT you need a proper solar filter to render it safe to do. If you want your eyesight and scope to survive, make 100% sure you know EXACTLY what you're doing first. Welder's glass etc is big NO.

EDIT: I knew there was a section on here about solar, here it is:

The MA25 you have is a low power eyepiece, it probably came with scope. You could use the 2x Barlow with it but the results will depend on the quality of it and the eyepiece. Using the 5x with a basic eyepiece is probably only worth doing to demonstrate why you shouldn't have.

In theory, you can stack the Barlows but it's a bad idea and rarely done. First, each one costs you some quality and second, your magnification will be much higher than can actually be used. The view is likely to be awful.

Edited by wulfrun

Hello and welcome to SGL

There are many targets that can be enjoyed from light polluted or bright summer skies with your scope! Other than the Moon which is always nice there are the 3 bright planets out and about: Jupiter, Saturn and Mars although of these 3 Mars is very small at the moment and will become much better later on in the year, but Jupiter and Saturn are a treat for sure. Open clusters (of stars) can look spectacular even in a bright setting with your scope so its worth having a look at those. Double stars are also interesting to observe, although less of a "spectacle" so to speak but trying to split a particularly difficult pair of stars can be very rewarding even in bright conditions. If you are interested in finding things in the sky yourself i will recommend a book called: Turn left at Orion. That book has easy to understand pictures and instructions on how to find the most common objects in the night sky, and also has plenty of dark sky not required type of objects to see, highly recommended!

As for the astrophotography side of things i would advice to leave that for later. Its an unending rabbit hole of spending money and things to learn and best delved into once you get your "astro legs" going with observing first. But once you do star to get the itch for astrophotography, the T2i you have is a good camera to start with.

Remember to have fun with the scope, that is sometimes easy to forget when learning new stuff!

• Thanks 1

Hello Mr T and welcome to the site 👍 You have some great kit and a bit of a learning curve in front of you. If I might suggest, before you buy any further stuff, have a good play with what you have as you will find the mount will throw up a few challenges when you first get into it, like setting the home position, polar aligning etc and the synscan handset can be interesting.

When I first got my mount, which is very similar to yours, I ended up with it pointing everywhere except where it should be so expect a few challenges; ask plenty of questions, there are some very clever people on here that are only to willing to help. Enjoy

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...