Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellaMira 80 or Evolux 82 ?

Given the absence of history on the SW, I would lean towards the SM.

SW don't even tell you what glass is in there. At least SM do say, which would push me in that direction.

I have also seen in recent years a tendency for SW to concentrate on less important features.
Does a green dovetail work better than black? Black diamond paint is so last years style.
I can't help but be reminded when Meade in particular used to release a 'new model' every months in mid 2000s - that was little more than bling and styling.
Are SW going into the same territory?

The SW/SM price difference is insignificant.

A purchase of either from FLO is no risk. If you are happy, everyone smiles.
If the lens is like a milk bottle bottom and the focusser is wobbly, you will know quickly enough to return it.

However, being a serious Yorkshire born scrooge, I would ask what these scopes can offer over used 80mm fracs.
Is the scope really better than a used SW ED80, or SW Equinox 80, or something else?

More confusion!

David.

• Like 1

Obviously as SW won't reveal the glass used, we're all essentially in the dark and guessing, but it seems unlikely to me they wouldn't use glass elements that perform at least as well as what is used in the Evostar, especially since the Evolux is a new and more costly series. All it would take is for a few buyers to post bad reviews to seriously hurt sales, and they have stated that the Evolux was designed with imaging in mind. 

Their official statement from 2018 suggests that they consider their R&D, and final design of which glass types etc. as their competitive advantage and IP, which they do not wish to divulge to competitors - this seems fair given their broadly excellent track record and low price point. Additionally, the official product descriptions for the Evolux state that the glass types are new, and configurations, lens design and coatings are all of proprietary skywatcher design. There are of course plenty of other glass types which might be used - FPL55, FCD100 and potentially other Chinese options we may not even be aware of. 

Anyway, all of this is completely speculative and ultimately it comes down to how the telescope performs in practice. Regarding the Evolux being faster, obviously this will make a difference especially for imaging but for visual which is the primary use case here, there is no real discernable difference in CA (ie there isn't any) on all three of my fracs using FPL53 glass - a 102mm F7, an 80mm F7.5 and 73mm F5.9

I guess @johninderby will just have to be the sacrificial lamb and report back to us 😉

@johninderby I guess I would ask a few questions…..

What targets do you plan on observing?

Why did you sell the SM f10?

Do you expect the EvoLux to be as well corrected as the f10 was?

I don’t think it would be unfair to say that I think you enjoy being one of the early adopters for new scopes so that’s a perfectly valid reason for trying one too!

Personally I would think the SM f6.25 would be the better scope but until someone does a side by side that is pure speculation.

• Like 1

A not too big scope for a bit of everything I suppose. Grab’n’go might be the best description. The ScopeYech 80 f/15 is a fine scope but a bit single purpose and the length can be a problem.

The SM 80 f/10 was a really heavy lump that wasn’t ideal on a small mount. The SM 80 f/6.25 is only half the weight and of course shorter so better for a small portable mount.

The SM is the “safe” option as the optics will be good and virtually the same weight as the Evolux.

After flip flopping between the two my head says the SM is the best choice. Now do I do the sensible thing or not? 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

A not too big scope for a bit of everything I suppose. Grab’n’go might be the best description. The ScopeYech 80 f/15 is a fine scope but a bit single purpose and the length can be a problem.

The SM 80 f/10 was a really heavy lump that wasn’t ideal on a small mount. The SM 80 f/6.25 is only half the weight and of course shorter so better for a small portable mount.

The SM is the “safe” option as the optics will be good and virtually the same weight as the Evolux.

After flip flopping between the two my head says the SM is the best choice. Now do I do the sensible thing or not? 😁

I'm waiting with bated breath (and secretly hoping you go for the Evolux 😂

I am curiously following along in this thread as I also really like the aesthetics of the Evolux and is curious to read about its performance. However, my main concern about the Evolux is that it'll fall behind on mechanical design. My Evostar 72ED is a great scope, however, after getting a Tecnosky 102 APO with a heavy duty R&P focuser, I've come to appreciate the design of a telescope a lot. I'd be afraid that the Evolux would require too many upgrades to satisfy my needs, this includes dovetail and rings since I doubt balancing will be perfect with the included dovetail design. The focuser, however, looks like an improvement over the Evostar range but it's tough to say whether or not it will perform as good as the Stellamira.

Whichever scope you choose, I think it'll be great and a very useful hands-on review of either of the scopes!

Victor

• Like 1

I dont know anything about all this glass type a vs glass type b talk but i do know that the example picture in the video posted earlier is not looking good if the scope was designed for imaging. Star bloat all over the place! Its a fast doublet (and a reducer) so not sure what else should be expected to be honest but i wouldn't call this an imaging first visual second type of scope.

19 hours ago, johninderby said:

A look at the Evolux82 ………. sort of.🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

I am curiously following along in this thread as I also really like the aesthetics of the Evolux and is curious to read about its performance. However, my main concern about the Evolux is that it'll fall behind on mechanical design. My Evostar 72ED is a great scope, however, after getting a Tecnosky 102 APO with a heavy duty R&P focuser, I've come to appreciate the design of a telescope a lot. I'd be afraid that the Evolux would require too many upgrades to satisfy my needs, this includes dovetail and rings since I doubt balancing will be perfect with the included dovetail design. The focuser, however, looks like an improvement over the Evostar range but it's tough to say whether or not it will perform as good as the Stellamira.

Whichever scope you choose, I think it'll be great and a very useful hands-on review of either of the scopes!

Victor

So the hype says that it has an upgraded focuser as well as being much sturdier than the Evostar range, but I'm with you on the excellent R&P of your Tecnosky - the rotating focuser alone is a huge win. 

• Like 1

Evolux 82 added to basket on FLO. 🙂

I think it is coming down to yes the SM is the safe bet but the Evolux is an interesting new alternative and I’m sure won’t disappont and buying from FLO gives reassurance so no risk.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Evolux 82 added to basket on FLO. 🙂

I think it is coming down to yes the SM is the safe bet but the Evolux is an interesting new alternative and I’m sure won’t disappont and buying from FLO gives reassurance so no risk.

Great point John! I'm looking forward to read about your impressions of it:thumbright:

• Like 1

Best looking refractor ever made by Skywatcher in my opinion.   
The 80mm Equinox was certainly not colour free - but then how many F/6.25 ED doublets are? However, it was a great all-round scope, and whatever CA was present never really bothered me. Performed very well on planets. Although that was FPL53, I suspect the Evolux will be pretty similar.  A little bit of false colour should be expected - it’s only if it diminishes views that it becomes an issue.

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see how well CA is controlled. At this price I’m expecting it to not be a problem but traces will be there if you go looking for it. If it fills the bill of being a good all rounder grab’n’go scope I’ll be happy with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Will be interesting to see how well CA is controlled. At this price I’m expecting it to not be a problem but traces will be there if you go looking for it. If it fills the bill of being a good all rounder grab’n’go scope I’ll be happy with it.

Have you order parts for all the mods yet, John? 😊

• Haha 2

On 27/05/2022 at 22:25, Ags said:

As a side note, the square tube rings on the StellaMira are another fashion choice I will decline!

Square rings? Sounds like quite an innovation from the StellaMira! 😆

Well done @johninderby on your new purchase. 😊

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1