Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can never remember RA and DEC...is there some tips to help?

dazzystar

No clever mnemonic, but I noticed it is always said "RA and DEC", and the RA axis is the 'first' one (the lowest on the mount) and the DEC axis is the second one (the higher one on the mount).

Works for me, but obvs a personal thing.

How about "R you pointing to polaris?" to remember the RA axis points at the celestial pole, and also a perhaps unnecessary reminder to Polar align 😉 

Edited by adyj1
  • Like 1

Never thought of it :D

Here are some possible ways to remember things by - Ra is Egyptian sun god - and sun moves across the sky as does mount track in RA?

RA is right ascension - mount can rotate left/right in axis that tracks earth rotation?

Deck - or platform is something stable that does not move - DEC axis does not move when mount is tracking normally?

• Like 3

How about RA is measured in hours and time is measured by the apparent movement of the sun across the sky from left to right (when facing south in the northern hemisphere).

Or maybe "You decline to look up at Polaris"?

But somebody also said that very small rocks float...

Being an Egyptophile, I have to say I like the Ra (Re) one best.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

How about remembering you need R_eally A_ccurate polar alignment?

I don't follow. How it is supposed to work?

Really accurate polar alignment is supposed to keep DEC from "discretely eventually creep" away from fixed position :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Never thought of it :D

Here are some possible ways to remember things by - Ra is Egyptian sun god - and sun moves across the sky as does mount track in RA?

RA is right ascension - mount can rotate left/right in axis that tracks earth rotation?

Deck - or platform is something stable that does not move - DEC axis does not move when mount is tracking normally?

Now, I like that one 🙂 

Steve

What about Ant & Dec.... Dec is the smallest one out of the two and so is the Dec axis on the mount visually? 

i havent figured out yet how to bring Ant into it. Maybe 'R'ant about Ant 😉

Edited by Jonny_H
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

What about Ant & Dec.... Dec is the smallest one out of the two and so is the Dec axis on the mount visually? 

i havent figured out yet how to bring Ant into it. Maybe 'R'ant about Ant 😉

Great idea, problem is I can never remember which one is Ant or which one is Dec 🙂 

But after this thread I can now reverse engineer it and because I know my RA and Dec and can use that to remember Ant and Dec 🙂 

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I use mnemonics for a lot of things.

Red is right, left is white - left and right connections for hi-fi

Y to the sky - X and Y on a diagram

WUS - for remembering crown and regions in ancient Egypt. White crown = Upper Egypt = South Egypt. (yes, I'm an Egyptologist too 😜 ). So by definition, Red crown = Lower Egypt = North Egypt.

So, RAS Right AScension, Right Across the Sky fits with that, for me anyway.