Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Adventurer....GTi?

Space_Plane

Yes its a duel axis goto version of the star-adventurer that has been banded about.  But you never know with Sky-watcher they announced an entire range of telescopes in the form of the EVOLUX a couple of years back with a flyer like that one. Those never materialised at all. I say because i see those same scopes mounted in that picture. 

some places even let you pre-order them lol. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J

• 3 weeks later...

Unsure to what to make of it as it seems to be moving away from a lightweight, fizzy little star tracker and closer to another type of EQ-3 class mount; and in to the sort of price territory as other EQ mounts.  For the money it seems to be going in for, I really hope they've not gone for the same design in the altitude adjustment in the wedge as they have on the normal Star Adventurer as whilst the sloppy, clicky backlash on a toss in box candy on a ~400€ tracker is stomach-able, not unusable and replaceable, on a 600€ machine that's fixed install would be a bit painful.

On 08/02/2022 at 14:38, Adam J said:

Yes its a duel axis goto version of the star-adventurer that has been banded about.  But you never know with Sky-watcher they announced an entire range of telescopes in the form of the EVOLUX a couple of years back with a flyer like that one. Those never materialised at all. I say because i see those same scopes mounted in that picture. 

The 62 Evo is out there, just don't know when it's going to be available.  This fella here (youtube) has mentioned it a few times on the Star Adventurer page on Facebook.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ags said:

I am very interested. But will it have DEC Runaway, the "killer feature" of the AZ-GTi?

I sorted mine with the latest firmware update, now it works wonders.

Good spot that.  It'll be interesting to see where it lands in terms of price.  I'm in the market for a portable mount and I'm eyeing up an az gti but this is just dangling out of reach.  

Using some rough equivalences from the EU shops, it looks like it'll be be £430-£530.  Low end looks very tempting being about £100 more than the outlay for an AZ-GTI plus counter weights and wedge.

Edited by Ratlet

On 08/02/2022 at 14:38, Adam J said:

some places even let you pre-order them lol. 

Adam

Presumably folks have already seen this, but these scopes are now available for order. Perhaps the same situation with the SA GTi - just took a while to come to fruition. 

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Presumably folks have already seen this, but these scopes are now available for order. Perhaps the same situation with the SA GTi - just took a while to come to fruition. 

One has been spotted in the field. So not long at all. 

• Like 1

The Chinese skywatcher site has the user manual up.  Nothing revolutionary in it though.  Looks like it does exactly what the advert says.  Manual seems to suggest that it'll come with the az-gti style tripod.

• Like 2

I am doing some window shopping and saw this: https://eu.primalucelab.com/equatorial/skywatcher-star-adventurer-gti-mount.html . No price available right now.

Quoted as: Available starting summer 2022.

Looks like it might have the AZ-GTI style tripod based on the picture. Perhaps its aimed at replacing both the star adventurer and the AZ-GTI as it does what both do, but better? Probably wont replace them though as this one has to be pricier than either of those.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it's built for the job, rather than just repurposed from an Alt-Az. A more robust wedge / cradle than the SA or the AZ-GTi. I could be interested if it's not *too* expensive.

WO wedge works brilliantly, a lot of people have got excellent results with the SA wedge too. Be interesting to know the price for the new product though and how it falls between the azgti and the eqm35.

• Like 1

With any luck I'll be able to give a "nuggets eye view" of this when it releases.

I'm starting out in the hobby and have held back on buying a mount because of this potential mount.  For me I like the look of it more than the az-gti aesthetically, and it is also designed for use in equatorial mode so there will be a level of actual support officially.  That's a big sell for me.

Honestly though there is going to be an element of rolling the dice.  It could be mechanically worse than the az-gti, or it could be better.  I'm hoping for better.

But yeah, I'm pretty excited for this mount lol.

• Like 2