SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star Adventurer....GTi?

Space_Plane

14 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I'm also hoping that someone is going to push it to the limits early on lol.  One of the early access dudes had a c6 hyperstar (wonder if it was cuiv the lazy geek).

It was Trevor Astrobackyard that had a a c6 celestron on his mount, Nico Nebula photos provided a good review with some early guiding too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AstroNebulee said:

It was Trevor Astrobackyard that had a a c6 celestron on his mount, Nico Nebula photos provided a good review with some early guiding too

Well, if the AZ-GTi is anything to go by we already know it can handle somewhat above the quoted payload so I'm also interested to see how much it can sensibly handle when properly balanced etc. 

• Like 1

I'd love to use my 130PDS on my AZ GTi but adding all the necessary bits, camera etc. will push the the load over the mount limits and considering the somewhat basic engineering of the Az GTi internals I think that might be a step too far. If the SA GTi were a decent price I might possibly consider it for the Newtonian.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I'd love to use my 130PDS on my AZ GTi but adding all the necessary bits, camera etc. will push the the load over the mount limits and considering the somewhat basic engineering of the Az GTi internals I think that might be a step too far. If the SA GTi were a decent price I might possibly consider it for the Newtonian.

With regards to the sa GTi:

The big difference I guess will be weight, moment arm/length.  The C6 has a shorter and lighter body, which will be mitigated by hanging the hyperstar and camera off the front.  Very expensive option though Vs £200 for a 130pds on the chance itll work.  I'll probably give the 130pds a punt at Christmas lol

I'm trying to be morally strong and stick to my plan but I get tempted every so often to get a c6 with the mount lol.  The fact that I'd be well over a grand on top of the ota to get a pocket Rasa setup is the only thing helping me retain moral strength.  Mak127 and a couple decent eyepieces should fulfil my visual requirements.

Astronomy is bloody hard on the soul.  You come up with a plan and then see something slightly better and think 'oh well, that's only a couple hundred more so that'll be good'.  Few iterations of that and you've gone from spending a grand on a portable setup to 3k on an an eq6 and triplet apo and saying to yourself 'Yeah.  This makes sense'.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Personally I'm hoping (in a dim and distant sort of way) that it'll manage a 130pds.  That would be a deadly setup I think.  I'm almost tempted to order a 130pds with the mount to see lol.

I would not bank on that.