SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 2022 Challenge 1 - Animations

Start Date: 1st January 2022
End Date: 31st March 2022

A New Year and an all new challenge!  The challenge gives plenty of scope for  imagination, creativity and technical expertise.  If anything moves or changes in the sky your challenge is to capture this.  Easy eh!?!

Looking forward to seeing what you can all come up with.

A personalised mug for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places featuring your entry kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed.
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please post within this topic, do not start a new topic. Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

The thread is for image submissions only, please do not respond to entries other than by using emojies.  

• Like 5

As prompted by JOC, here is my image GIF of the James Webb Space Telescope at 21:30 UK time on 1 January 2022.  It is 484000 miles away with both port and starboard booms of the sunshield extended.  They have not as yet been tensioned.

I got the Ephemeris data from NASA JPL Horizons tool.  JWST is at the top of the image just to the right and can be seen as a small dot moving downwards.  I have imaged asteroids and other objects with data from this tool and so 100% confident this is indeed the JWST.  A small galaxy in the middle makes it quite interesting.

9 x 300s exposures with TEC140 with Atik 460 CCD and a luminance filter.  All on MESU 200 mount and imaged with NINA and PHD2.  I used PixInsight to preprocess and register the images and then made the GIF in Photoshop. 

Conditions and seeing dreadful.  Such a shame that the weather since launch has been terrible for astronomy in the UK, otherwise could have captured lot of JWST sequences.

Hope you like it and find it interesting.

Steve

JWST2.thumb.gif.7842e6cda9c78363b1e867e401e41e21.gif

• Like 14

My animation of JWST heading to its L2 point destination on the 5th Jan 2022. 91 x 2 minute subs taken with ZWO ASI533MC camera through a SW Esprit 100ED at f5.5 mount on a SW eq6r-pro.

JWST was approx. 966,760km from Earth travelling at 1,703 km/h

JWST.gif.431a7b86230850a5dfcdaf67da3b9e30.gif

• Like 20

Here is my JWST animation, a crop made up of 45 x 2 min subs taken with the Esprit 150/QHY268c on the 1.01.22, when it was around 750 000 km distant. Conditions were less than ideal, with frequent cloud passing through, hence the JWST moving into hyper speed on a couple of occasions, and the pulsating stars, reminds me of the Rhubarb and Custard cartoon style of animation.😆

I managed to download and install the ancillary files required to make the Blink tool in Pixinsight produce a GIF file, but although it runs OK it wouldn't load into SGL, so I used an online resource (EZGif) instead.

ezgifJWST.gif.8ad509289e8127000fd895d96a7f69b1.gif

• Like 10

My contribution...not sure if it counts but for your delectation nonetheless. Series of approx 300 1 sec exposures filmed on an iphone Xr using NightCap app from around 37000ft.

The lights of Edmonton visible in the foreground at the start of the animation.

Edited by Tangoringo
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

My first attempt on making an animation of the ISS. Captured on 27/01/2022 with my 8" Dob at prime focus with a Nikon D3200 (iso 3200, 1/4000s exposure). Animation was generated in PIPP (200 best frames).

DSC_4110_pipp.gif.d14de5b9c7b1fd3b04edf73c4f1d4cdc.gif

• Like 11

I just posted this video of Asteroid (7482) 1994 PC1 in the "Widefield, Special Events & Comets" page, & a couple of folk suggested entering it here.

Couldn't capture it on the 18th, so this is from the 19th Jan when it was visible from our back garden. Skywatcher 200dps / EQ6 & a ZWO camera.  243 x 10 sec subs from Cookridge, Leeds (Bortle 8). AstroPhotographyTool had crashed shortly before the sequence so the camera unfortunately wasn't cooled... (I had park / reboot & require the target in a hurry).

Processed in Pixinsight & then combined into a video with Adobe Premiere Elements 15... To process, I created a background image using a regular Pixinsight workflow. I then applied a quick & dirty standard workflow to each aligned sub using a ProcessContainer & then used PixelMath to reinstate the asteroid back into copies of the master background.

For the inset images I applied CometAlignment to a set of unprocessed StarAligned subs. These were then processed using an ImageContainer & a rough workflow, to give the close-up views, which were then inserted into the relevant Main image frame with the InsertImage script.

Premiere Elements was then used to animate the 243 frames into the video.

Kinda glad that it's all over & done with!

Cheers
Ivor

• Like 6

Something different.

Using the MiniSHG to step through the Ca II K solar line. From the blue wing (K1v) though the core CWL (K3) to the red wing (K1r)

The seven images all extracted from the one 3Gb 16bit SER video file taken on the 3rd Jan 2022, animated with annotations in Astroart.

CaK_K1v_core_K1r.gif

Edited by Merlin66
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I took this animation of a sunspot in region 2936 over the course of 4 days! Unfortunately the conditions during some days were not optimal but I think its interesting to see how it develops over time! I took 4 separate videos of the sunspot each on different days and then stacked the frames of those videos separately. Once I did this I layered them on top of each other to create this gif. The first frame was taken on the 30th January. Equipment

- ASI178mm astrophotography camera

- Nexstar 5SE

- Baader ASSF solar filter 

Sunspot.gif

• Like 2

I have tried to capture as many of the moon phases over the past two months and put them in animation; Up to the full moon I have nearly got every phase but waning crescent has been harder to get due to the weather and work commitments. 8" Dob, prime focus Nikon D3200, various exposures and iso. Gif was put together in PIPP. 

moon.gif.a59cced2513046df0bda6dfa07de38b3.gif

• Like 7

12 hours ago, MylesGibson said:

@MartinB Does all the data need to be within the start and end dates? As in could you have some data from previous years, then some from the challenge window?

I'm sorry but all the data has to be acquired within the 3 month period of the challenge.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MartinB said:

I'm sorry but all the data has to be acquired within the 3 month period of the challenge.  

Ahh thanks for the info! Won't be able to use Barnards Star then! My scope won't pick up the movement in 3 months

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MylesGibson said:

Ahh thanks for the info! Won't be able to use Barnards Star then! My scope won't pick up the movement in 3 months

That's an interesting project Myles.  There is an Anelemma challenge currently running with a duration of more than one year.  This is running alognside the regular challenges.  I could do something similar for Barnard's Star.  I will have a think about that.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a time-lapse of the aurora during my stay in Tromso, Norway at the beginning on the month.
This was all shot in one night and we moved to different locations during the night from dusk to 1am.

It was shot on a Canon R5 at ISO 1600 - 2000 @ f2.0 and shutter speeds of 5 - 10 secs using a Laowa 15mm f2 Zero-D Lens.

The images were batch processed in Lightroom (colour balance, straightening, vignette removal) and exported into Adobe premiere to make the time-lapse.

• Like 9

Here is my first attempt at imaging the Hubble variable nebula! Unfortunately I only have two frames spaced out a month between each other but there appears to be some activity present still! I took this image from London which was shown to be a challenge with the light pollution (as well as the full moon in the second frame). The first frame was taken on 21/02/22 and the second was taken on 19/03/22. I'm, hoping to continue this project and take frames at more regular intervals too. The equipment I used were : 

-ASI178mm

-Nexstar 5SE alt-az mount

-William optics ZN73

HubbleVariableNebEnhanced.gif

• Like 5

On 01/03/2022 at 10:46, MartinB said:

That's an interesting project Myles.  There is an Anelemma challenge currently running with a duration of more than one year.  This is running alognside the regular challenges.  I could do something similar for Barnard's Star.  I will have a think about that.

I was actually thinking about something similar, like movements within an SNR, like the Crab nebula. (Not that I would be able to do this.) That would need a lot more than just a year, though. Ah well, you can't turn everything into a challenge.

Here's my entry. Asteroid 17 Thetis. Fairly bright, this is an animation of 180 x 60 s images taken with a red filter, because of the 91% moon nearby.

190MN and ASI294MM camera with Optolong red filter. Animation created with Windows MovieMaker.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...