NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

By the way, how's the flexing of that whole assembly mounted on the camera flash shoe?

On my DSLR that's not something I'd want to mount a guide scope on...

8 hours ago, photon08 said:

Thank you for the reply. 

I'm pretty sure it's RHS. See my photo attached below. It's pointing toward the North pole. Without a EQ wedge (i.e. AZ mode)  and the scope  pointing North and being level, it'd be on the right hand side of the mount when viewed from behind the scope (me standing south of the mount and looking in north), wouldn't it? 

As for the second picture, that's my problem #2 in my original post. When goto is issued to a target in West (past the meridian: HA is between 0 and 12h; e.g. Capella, Procyon,  Rigel around 8pm in late March), the scope takes that incorrect pose (picture #2 in my first post)  even though the goto was issued from a position pretty close to the target in the correct pose (picture #1 in my first post).  

After this goto, all other goto's to targets past the meridian result in this incorrect pose even though in terms of RA and Dec, the scope is correctly centered. 

az-gti home.jpg

How are you powering your AzGti? Are you powering via batteries, as I can only see your eq mod cable to the AzGti. Can you supply power to the mount via the Asiair plus and see if the problem persists. 

You can check with firmware you have installed by connecting your AzGti to your laptop via the eq mod cable (ftdi cable I think) and using the motor controller software here to see what you have) 

https://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

Edit... I see you have solved your issue now. Ignore my rumblings haha. 

Lee

Edited by AstroNebulee

For something different repurposed an az3 accessory tray, it already had 3 adjustable bolts, wobble free and very stable

In storage position not like this when in use, LHD mounted, the extension came with a nice shaped rubber washer

16807075516080.jpg.f133fe7d0a2d12464b6ca3059e0f168f.jpg

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

For something different repurposed an az3 accessory tray, it already had 3 adjustable bolts, wobble free and very stable

In storage position not like this when in use, LHD mounted, the extension came with a nice shaped rubber washer

16807075516080.jpg.f133fe7d0a2d12464b6ca3059e0f168f.jpg

Very nifty indeed and very portable to place anywhere 👍

Lee 

The rubber bands did hold a RDF but I use one star alignment (multiple times) with sharpcap plate solving now.

The mount slews slower then the virtuoso v1 and the clutches don't fully disengage but I'll sort that at a later date, but synscan didn't drop connection when using skysafari once though that might just be the latest app version.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

I've found the az-GTi wifi quite a weak signal, if I'm lucky there are two bars when used outside connecting some 20 feet away inside but it's weak and drops to one, currently using the synscan wifi dongle plugged in which gives full 3 bar connection from the same positions, I've tried all the channels and a bouncing one/two bar is the best achieved directly.

Hmm, this has been bothering me for a while. The mechanical backlash in RA and Dec. Will try to mesh the gears better though guiding seems ok with it really. Though the visual movement has been getting worse each time I've used it. The imaging kit hasn't been out since hasn't been out since the end of February. 

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hmm, this has been bothering me for a while. The mechanical backlash in RA and Dec. Will try to mesh the gears better though guiding seems ok with it really. Though the visual movement has been getting worse each time I've used it. The imaging kit hasn't been out since hasn't been out since the end of February. 

Well after a bit of tinkering, hopefully the RA and Dec mechanical backlash is sorted for now. Previously the slotted bolt for the RA motor broke off one side but just managed to cut the slot a tad deeper to still get some purchase. 

Lee 

• Like 1

On 10/04/2023 at 12:33, AstroNebulee said:

Well after a bit of tinkering, hopefully the RA and Dec mechanical backlash is sorted for now. Previously the slotted bolt for the RA motor broke off one side but just managed to cut the slot a tad deeper to still get some purchase. 

Lee 

I manged to get my AzGti imaging rig out last night (14-4-23) to image M51 and got to test out my tweaks of mechanical backlash and even with a little breeze at times guiding was the best I've ever had. It was regularly below 1" hovering around 0.70". The lowest I recorded was 0.59" total. 

The overall error was 1.41" looking at the guide log (screenshot attached). With just over 6kg on the mount I'm amazed. Not bad for a mount that's not recommended for astrophotography. If your willing to tweak it. 

Lee 

IMG_20230414_223926.jpg

IMG_20230415_130511.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

That's great, do you recall what your guiding was managing when you first got the mount before tinkering?

I don't remember what it was out of the box before tinkering the mechanical backlash for eq mode. 

But looking through old logs I was getting around 4" to 6"at times. So this was definitely much better. 

Lee

I dug out the wee az last night. Prob first time I've used in over a year. I had the 2 mounts in the obsy busy, I wanted to try some cheap vintage lenses,so set it up, updated fireware, and added asiair, 6d, guide am, etc.

I was trying a old sigma 200mm.

It turned out pretty good,at least in the centre, but what surprised me most was the guiding rms I got..this was on heart and soul..I will say, I tried moving to iris, and even after recalibration it was abysmal..so went back to heart and soul.. But it just goes to show, as Lee says, what the wee thing can be capable of.

Screenshot_20230415_222542_ASIAIR.jpg

Screenshot_20230415_215723_ASIAIR.jpg

• Like 1

If I turn my azgti into an eq mount, how do I calculate the the size of counterweight I need for my telescope? Or is it where you position the counterweight on the shaft that is the main way of balancing the scope?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CHR15 said:

If I turn my azgti into an eq mount, how do I calculate the the size of counterweight I need for my telescope? Or is it where you position the counterweight on the shaft that is the main way of balancing the scope?

It depends how much weight you have on your AzGti. I carry just over 6 kg on mine and use 2 x 1kg star adventurer counterweights and a 40cm M12 bolt I bought off ebay. It's all about the balance of your setup. I used to use a 30cm M12 bolt but the weights weren't far enough down the shaft to balance properly. What is your set up on the AzGti? 

Lee

IMG_20230414_072033.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

It depends how much weight you have on your AzGti. I carry just over 6 kg on mine and use 2 x 1kg star adventurer counterweights and a 40cm M12 bolt I bought off ebay. It's all about the balance of your setup. I used to use a 30cm M12 bolt but the weights weren't far enough down the shaft to balance properly. What is your set up on the AzGti? 

Lee

IMG_20230414_072033.jpg

Thanks for your reply Lee.

At the moment it's just a heritage 130p ota and an asi178mc camera. I'm planning on adding an asiair plus for basic eaa. Just being curious, what size ota do you have?

Edit

The ota is 3.2kg

The camera is 120 grams 

Asiair plus is 220 grams

The total is just over 3.5kg

Edited by CHR15
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CHR15 said:

Thanks for your reply Lee.

At the moment it's just a heritage 130p ota and an asi178mc camera. I'm planning on adding an asiair plus for basic eaa. Just being curious, what size ota do you have?

You'll have to see where you go with balance. I see the heritage 130p is around 3.2kg. 

I'm not sure on how much you'll need counterweight wise but my guess would be 2kg to be safe or 1kg and a longer counterweight shaft. As you see from my set up with the 40cm m12 and 2x1kg cw I have a bit of shaft left. 

My scope is a sw 72ed with zwo asi294mc pro, guiding with zwo 30mm guidescope and zwo asi120mc-s. With the asiair pro. 

Just seen your edit maybe try 1kg counterweight kit at first or if you can get hold of a m12 bolt from ebay or somewhere would be better for the shaft and a fixed bolt head. Then a 1kg cw to start with. 

Lee 

IMG_20220610_160114.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

Long bolts are a bit difficult to come by, I use an all thread bar which you can get in a multitude of lengths, then use large washers to hold the weight (in my case a dumbbell weight = cheap) in place and clamped tight with flanged nuts onto the washers. If you use two wrenches you can clamp them tight. Haven't really had an issue with this solution.

The azgti is a bit stiff in it's free rotation when the ra or Dec is declucthed so CW weight and position is a bit more forgiving compared to other mounts.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CHR15 said:

@AstroNebulee  @Elp I was thinking of getting this https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-1kg-counterweight-shaft-for-star-adventurer.html

Would this be a good place to start or will the shaft be too short?

39 minutes ago, licho52 said:

I have it and it works, however I bought 2 so I have 2 counterweights for my setup.

You can buy and try it as you'll definitely need the counterweight part and see how it fares in your setup. You may need 2 as @licho52says, I ended up buying 2. See how you go first though. You will need an M8 to M12 adapter to for the  bar. Available on Amazon and ebay. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

You can buy and try it as you'll definitely need the counterweight part and see how it fares in your setup. You may need 2 as @licho52says, I ended up buying 2. See how you go first though. You will need an M8 to M12 adapter to for the  bar. Available on Amazon and ebay. 

Lee 

There's an option to buy the bar that fits the azgti. 

• Like 1

Up to you if you're willing to justify the cost. Here's mine:

DSC_29012.JPG.88a27ef37e105213b92d1b1ed3b16a0a.JPG

This is for my 6.5kg refractor load (2.25kg CWs). I've got a simpler dumbell weight only one for my dslr GTI at (1.75kg). Approx prices = M12 all thread bar (less than 5, choose what length you want or order a 1M bar and cut to length), nuts (4), washers (4), 2 off 1kg dumbell weights (3 ea), total cost (£19), and you've got more room to clamp the flat dumbell weights where you want on the bar. As mentioned the position of the weights doesn't need to be as precise on the azgti as with my gem (it's incredibly sensitive to just a mm movement in the weight position on the gem).

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Elp said:

Up to you if you're willing to justify the cost. Here's mine:

DSC_29012.JPG.88a27ef37e105213b92d1b1ed3b16a0a.JPG

This is for my 6.5kg refractor load (2.25kg CWs). I've got a simpler dumbell weight only one for my dslr GTI at (1.75kg). Approx prices = M12 all thread bar (less than 5, choose what length you want or order a 1M bar and cut to length), nuts (4), washers (4), 2 off 1kg dumbell weights (3 ea), total cost (£19), and you've got more room to clamp the flat dumbell weights where you want on the bar. As mentioned the position of the weights doesn't need to be as precise on the azgti as with my gem (it's incredibly sensitive to just a mm movement in the weight position on the gem).

I never really thought of the diy way of doing it. I've already got a few dumbbell weights in the back of the wardrobe gathering dust!

What kind of washers do you use?

Most of this is sourced via eBay, if you're lucky to have a local fastener shop around they may even give you this stuff for free depending on your relations with them. Search for large M12 washer, sort filtering to lowest price plus postage and filter to UK only to filter out the cheaper eastern prices. The washer is approx 50mm OD and 14mm ID and around 1.5-2mm thick. The flanged nuts are the serrated type so there's some metal texture to grip onto. You could add sticky backed foam onto the washers to grip the weight better but I haven't seen a need to, just make sure the OD of the washer is larger than the centre hole of the weight. If you're really picky, you could fashion a bush/nut to fit in the centre of the weights clamped to the bar to reduce their side to side movement when assembled. My all threads are 300mm long, any longer like 400mm and you may get lateral movement as there isn't enough thread engagement from the azgti to the all thread when screwed in (you can always buy longer and cut it down, but can't go the other way if it's short). Some photos of the dslr bar I use for reference:

DSC_30273.thumb.JPG.d5dd050d73ff1a16f4daddd09dcfddb0.JPGDSC_30282.thumb.JPG.a3a4ebb20d0d2c108f3a9e7f03a652fa.JPGDSC_30274.thumb.JPG.1cacd0c915395943e1eeafae5ff5f6ea.JPG

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1