SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rowan AZ100 - Motor Drive System

johninderby

Regarding the ETA of the AZ100 with motor drive/tracking, on August 15 in response to several questions about the mount, I got this comment from FLO:  “should be available in around 6 to 8 weeks time.”  That doesn’t narrow it down too much, but it’s imminent. . . .

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Speedmaster said:

Hi. 

to the lucky testers, did you try some imaging ?

how long should we be hoping for exposure time? I’ve read a long time ago that 30-35s should to do it. 

thx

No imaging done here I’m afraid. I guess it would all come down to focal length and how long before field rotation becomes obvious. Also not sure what the base level of tracking accuracy is relative to imaging mounts. I can give it a go perhaps next time I use the mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it on fcbk and on their website. A bit overpriced for me, was expecting 800-900 max but given the current worldwide sh** show I presume it is acceptable. 

dont see the manual online. I hope it will be available so we can have a small taste of what’s the motor system is capable of,how it is working with nexus…etc

On 08/09/2022 at 03:55, Speedmaster said:

Just saw it on fcbk and on their website. A bit overpriced for me, was expecting 800-900 max but given the current worldwide sh** show I presume it is acceptable. 

dont see the manual online. I hope it will be available so we can have a small taste of what’s the motor system is capable of,how it is working with nexus…etc

I assume the pricing on the website includes the UK VAT? So, presumably the VAT is subtracted from the price for purchasers ordering from the US, etc. ?  That would certainly help with the cost, though shipping adds to the expense . . . 

I have just caught up with the Rowan website, pre-order live, that’s great news, looks stunning.

At that price point for all that kit and quality engineering it feels well priced, quality costs once don’t forget.

Only problem is that I don’t have an AZ100 mount at present…..

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Alan White said:

I have just caught up with the Rowan website, pre-order live, that’s great news, looks stunning.

At that price point for all that kit and quality engineering it feels well priced, quality costs once don’t forget.

Only problem is that I don’t have an AZ100 mount at present…..

Thank you @JeremyS for the sad emoji, perhaps I should start a go fund me and solve the situation 😉

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/02/2022 at 00:31, Stu said:

Just a brief up date on this. I received a firmware update yesterday which installed very easily using the web page interface. After making a small adjustment to the mount (as advised by Rowan) I gave it a test out indoors. It ‘aligned’ easily and then was slewing quickly and quietly to targets.

Opening up SkySafari and connecting immediately picked up the position and I was slewing happily to targets with that too. I’m sure as integration progresses there will be more updates to try. Now if only it hadn’t been raining and I was outside with a scope! 🤪🤪

Anyway, good progress is being made although we are still a little way from launch. From what I’ve seen, it should be excellent 👍 

How are you powering the AZ100 go to system?

2 hours ago, Manoj77 said:

Thank you.  Do you need any particluar adaptor to connect the goto systekm to the power supply?

Mine came with a cable that fits a 12V socket and plugs into the control unit. I assume this is supplied as standard with the kit but best to check. The motors take their power from the control unit as in these images.

43530BD1-F98F-4A78-883E-85312418DD67.jpeg

2E762329-E3A8-4E44-BB9C-BF5745DE01B0.jpeg

• Like 2

Hello. Can I ask if the power cable has the car lighter option as standard. I’m looking to use this I’m hoping. 

Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html

Presume @FLO could confirm in due course 

Thx John 

23 hours ago, lifeonmars said:

Hello could someone please elaborate how the motor controller box fastens to the front of the mount please,does it require the tray the  Nexus DSC utilises? Many thanks in advance

Frank

Hello Frank,

The motor controller is supplied with a bracket that bolts to the rear of the mount. The control box then bolts to the bracket.

This leaves the front of the mount free to fit a Nexus DSC or tablet etc.

ATB

Derek.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2022 at 18:41, Stu said:

Mine came with a cable that fits a 12V socket and plugs into the control unit. I assume this is supplied as standard with the kit but best to check. The motors take their power from the control unit as in these images.

43530BD1-F98F-4A78-883E-85312418DD67.jpeg

2E762329-E3A8-4E44-BB9C-BF5745DE01B0.jpeg

Off topic Stu but is that a Tiger Tank I spy behind the AZ100? 

6 hours ago, jock1958 said:

Off topic Stu but is that a Tiger Tank I spy behind the AZ100? 

It believe it might be, but it’s not my picture. This was @johninderby’s mount, but sadly he hasn’t posted up for a number of months, I do hope he is ok.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

I hope he’s ok as well, haven’t heard much from @john lately  either 🤔

We know John is ok, just posting on CN now, I’m genuinely worried about Johninderby ☹️

• Sad 4