Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ100 - Motor Drive System

johninderby

Rowan AZ100 - Motor Drive System

Received the AZ100 motor drive system and my mount now with the encoders fitted this afternoon that I will be beta testing. While the hardware isn’t likely to change much if at all it’s the operating system that is in it’s early stages that will take time to develop and will take up most of the beta testing time. 

There won’t be any reviews of the system as it is in the beta testing stage and features and capabilities will be added as the testing goes along and would be unfair to Rowan to review a system that is under development.

However I will be posting photos and letting you know how testing is coming along generally even if I can’t be too specific but hopefully you will find some things of interest as the thread goes along.

Proper photos to follow in the morning in daylight but will add some taken in the workshop for now.

John

DF4C47BC-8C58-40E9-9BF4-7E58EA4E2CC0.jpeg

DB868EA1-70BB-4E0C-9729-F6636F73E9EC.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Looks like I will be doing some test alignments in the conservatory this weekend judging from the weather but at least will be getting familiar with it. Limited features at the moment and a very simple user interface but at least it’s a start.

Do I recall someone saying the motor drive system was vapourware? 😁😁😁

Few pics taken in the workshop.

6AE3D9A6-5585-482D-8B1B-F25E7085DF58.jpeg

FD2B44AE-29F4-483E-A437-0997F3BEE439.jpeg

76A9FA30-23C1-4301-8D7A-8B13A299AA7D.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, johninderby said:

1/6 scale Tiger 1 tank. As winter is coming time to get back to the project. Costs a bit more than a Takahashi TOA-130NFB when finished. 🙀

929CF208-7097-4507-9F0A-1D0F3278F3AC.jpeg

9DFC6559-8676-4726-A79D-B5B8D083A559.jpeg

Fantastic John. Anything WW2 is just up my street. My Dad was the instigator. He was well read on the subject. Rubbed off on me which was no bad thing. 👍👍👍

14 hours ago, lifeonmars said:

Looking forward to following this thread John,interested to see if you can still use the slo mos manually.

Interesting Black Friday delivery!

HI LOM,

The AZ100 interface can turn the motors on/off to enable the mount can be steered manually.

I do this on the initial alignment, push to and simultaneous GOTO with motor on  to chosen star, then motors off and  centre the star precisely using slow mo to  sync star1.  Repeat for star 2.

But, there is increased drag and you do feel the magnetic detents from the motors.

The mount can be moved manually, GOTO or a combination of both with the motors on by slipping on the clutches, nudged onto position and it immediately begins to track. Sky Safari does have the jog buttons too.

Ultimately with the motors fitted to the mount it is  no longer a 'truly manual mount' but it's a 5 min job to simply take the belts off and the mount is returned to fully manual if so desired.

Something John and Stu will be able to test to determine when, or if it's necessary and  how practical the mount is using slow motion controls.

ATB

Derek.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

HI LOM,

The AZ100 interface can turn the motors on/off to enable the mount can be steered manually.

I do this on the initial alignment, push to and simultaneous GOTO with motor on  to chosen star, then motors off and  centre the star precisely using slow mo to  sync star1.  Repeat for star 2.

But, there is increased drag and you do feel the magnetic detents from the motors.

The mount can be moved manually, GOTO or a combination of both with the motors on by slipping on the clutches, nudged onto position and it immediately begins to track. Sky Safari does have the jog buttons too.

Ultimately with the motors fitted to the mount it is  no longer a 'truly manual mount' but it's a 5 min job to simply take the belts off and the mount is returned to fully manual if so desired.

Something John and Stu will be able to test to determine when, or if it's necessary and  how practical the mount is using slow motion controls.

ATB

Derek.

Hello Derek

Thanks very much for your detailed explanation about the slo motion aspect of the driven mount ,looking forward too see it develop and ultimately go on general sale.

Many thanks Frank