Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ100 - Motor Drive System

johninderby

Just tested the slewing loudness using a decibel meter but was quieter than the background noise in the conservatory which was 37.8dBA. In other words a housefly makes more noise than the mount slewing. 🙂

Decibels are a logarithmic scale not linear.

10dBA - Normal breathing
20dBA - Mosquito or rustling leaves
30dBA - A whisper
40dBA - Housefly or quiet room
50dBA - Normal conversation
60dBA - Laugher
70dBA - Vacuum cleaner or hairdryer
80dBA - City traffic 
90dBA - Motorcycle or lawnmower

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just tested the slewing loudness using a decibel meter but was quieter than the background noise in the conservatory which was 37.8dBA. In other words a housefly makes more noise than the mount slewing. 🙂

Decibels are a logarithmic scale not linear.

10dBA - Normal breathing
20dBA - Mosquito or rustling leaves
30dBA - A whisper
40dBA - Housefly or quiet room
50dBA - Normal conversation
60dBA - Laugher
70dBA - Vacuum cleaner or hairdryer
80dBA - City traffic 
90dBA - Motorcycle or lawnmower

Pardon? 

Hope it doesn't sound like a house fly or a mosquito !

I lived on Borneo SE Asia for a couple of years and the sound of a mosquito makes me involuntarily go into scan and attack mode. Trying to swat an invisible mosquito in the dark with a flip flop is a recurring nightmare.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Shame, I like the reassuring soft hum of a goto in progress and the ping when it arrives. When it all goes quiet something could be wrong! Be nice not to have the long flip with a goto across the meridian - if I succumb to motors 🤔

Maybe Rowan can include in their software the option to generate the sound and volume you prefer. Just like some electric car manufacturers. 🤔

Might be a selling feature. Imagine being able to select the sound of a Chieftan tank… 😊

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

Yes you can use SkySafari to GOTO targets.

Connects to SkySafari using Meade LX200 Classic settings

Think it gets GPS from the phone / tablet

Ppwer connector is a standard Meade 2.5mm 12v

Interesting to know.

Any idea on weight at all or will that change with the production model?

I'm guessing the control box is a similar weight to the Nexus DSC, so just the weight of the motors on top?

5 hours ago, Deadlake said:

I'm guessing the one answer to the above but it would be great if Rowan had used INDI which is a lot more open for integration to third party software.

What would you use INDI for Martin?

Integration with SkySafari works very well, and I’m sure it will work with other packages as it has the Meade settings which most support.

Rowan can’t win can they, they make a wonderfully quiet product and someone wants it louder!! 🤪🤪

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stu said:

What would you use INDI for Martin?

Integration with SkySafari works very well, and I’m sure it will work with other packages as it has the Meade settings which most support.

Rowan can’t win can they, they make a wonderfully quiet product and someone wants it louder!! 🤪🤪

I’m all for stealth mounts, don’t want to wait people up…

As far as INDI it’s vendor agnostic. It’s a bit of a pain if you have a mount and to use it a driver needs to be written for it, but if Rowan feels that the Meade protocol meets their requirements then so be it.

• 4 weeks later...

From Derek’s post on CN

“We'll be demonstrating the mount at the PAS show in Kettering UK this weekend.
We were also due to attend NEAF in April where we would be showing the mount with the GOTO kit but this show has been cancelled again 😞

The mount is booked in for EMC CE FCC certification at the lab in April, so assuming a pass (never guaranteed!) we'll be in a position to start supplying shortly afterwards.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello. Saw the goto fitted and running at PAS earlier today. 
Looks smart and an easy upgrade.  runs silent from what I saw / heard or didn’t hear.
Credit card is bracing itself. 
Had a good chat to the team. All sounded good. Should be available soon. 
John 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

What did you think of the extension?

John. I didn’t really take a long look tbh. I’m not in the market for one as I have a SW extension in my arsenal.
I was a bit transfixed by the goto as I’m looking to add to my AZ over the next few months. 

John 

11 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Any idea how much extra weight the motors and control box will add to the AZ100?

Thanks

Very little weight added at all. Carrying the mount with the motors can’t notice any difference in weight to before the motors were installed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Very little weight added at all. Carrying the mount with the motors can’t notice any difference in weight to before the motors were installed.

Agreed, nothing significant at all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...