Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I feel spoilt now.

Franklin

When you get a chance to use it, I'd be very interested to hear how you rate the TeleVue against the alternatives. I've just ordered the Explore Scientific equivalent (68 degree 24mm) which is just less than half the price of the TeleVue when purchased new.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterC65 said:

When you get a chance to use it, I'd be very interested to hear how you rate the TeleVue against the alternatives. I've just ordered the Explore Scientific equivalent (68 degree 24mm) which is just less than half the price of the TeleVue when purchased new.

I used the ES 24mm some years ago, and I thought it excellent, as good as the Panoptic, but I have long been a dedicated user of binoviewers and my IPD  is insufficient to make use of a pair of them whereas the 24mm Pan is perfect for the job.  If you use the ES 24mm  in Cyclops mode you will have no cause to wonder if you made the right choice.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, PeterC65 said:

I'd be very interested to hear how you rate the TeleVue against the alternatives

I can already say, just from looking at the electricity pylons on my horizon about a mile away, that this is going to be superb. Unfortunately I don't really have or have had anything to rate it against. I've got a 25mm SLV which is a great eyepiece in its own right, but the field of view in the 24mm Pan is massive in comparison and the image doesn't go blurry or curved at the edges. All my scopes are quite slow in focal ratio though. I think it's safe to say that my Baader Hyperion MkIV zoom now goes from 20-8mm!🙂

• Like 2

Congratulations on the 24mm Panoptic :smiley:

35 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I used the ES 24mm some years ago, and I thought it excellent, as good as the Panoptic, but I have long been a dedicated user of binoviewers and my IPD  is insufficient to make use of a pair of them whereas the 24mm Pan is perfect for the job.  If you use the ES 24mm  in Cyclops mode you will have no cause to wonder if you made the right choice.

I've been on the same journey and felt the same regarding the ES 24mm / 68. I did end up with a 24mm Panoptic even though I don't binoview. Must be dedicated to the brand :rolleyes2:

I'm sure that I could have quite happily lived with the ES 24 / 68 though, or for that matter the Maxvision 24 / 68 that I had before it. Both excellent in all my refractors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Franklin said:

but the field of view in the 24mm Pan is massive in comparison and the image doesn't go blurry or curved at the edges

That's it's big advantage, you get that reasonably sharp focus across the field 👍

It's little brother (the Panoptic 15mm) also has the same advantage, but much harder to come by.

• Haha 1

I held out for months for an ES 24mm 68 degree but they were unavailable everywhere. I ended up getting the TV 24 Panoptic and I love it, it’s great quality but everything I’ve read rates the ES just as good at half the price. My only issue with it is that I have a low profile MoonLite focuser so I have to pull the ep out a touch to get focus, not a big enough problem to warrant an extension tube and it has no effect on performance.

Enjoy the TV, you’ll get loads of use out of it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I am upset because I had this eyepiece but it wasn't suited for my dob at the time so I sold it, I would love to have it now for my refractor. 

Why didn't it work with your dob ?

I find mine works very well with my F/5.3 12 inch dob :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Why didn't it work with your dob ?

I find mine works very well with my F/5.3 12 inch dob :icon_scratch:

In my 10” f6 dob it produced stars with seagull effect at the edges of the Fov which I could not ignore as they were prominent, not sure why.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine said:

In my 10” f6 dob it produced stars with seagull effect at the edges of the Fov which I could not ignore as they were prominent, not sure why.

I thought it was normal for ships funnels to attract seagulls..?:rolleyes2::hiding:

Sorry🙃

Dave😁

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

It is possible you may have a touch of astigmatism… I had the same “seagulls” initially when using my 10” f5 dob with low power eyepieces (XW30 in particular).

I bought a 0.75 diopter Dioptrx which solved most of that, but then I saw coma. Adding a Paracorr II removed all aberrations.

Bizarrely I don’t think I ever tried this Panoptic 24 in the dob, but I think astigmatism kicks in for me around 4mm exit pupil so would likely have had the same issue. I do remember seeing some astigmatism using my XW20 too 🤔

I believe the Dioptrx is compatible with Panoptic 24 too 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HollyHound said:

It is possible you may have a touch of astigmatism… I had the same “seagulls” initially when using my 10” f5 dob with low power eyepieces (XW30 in particular).

I bought a 0.75 diopter Dioptrx which solved most of that, but then I saw coma. Adding a Paracorr II removed all aberrations.

Bizarrely I don’t think I ever tried this Panoptic 24 in the dob, but I think astigmatism kicks in for me around 4mm exit pupil so would likely have had the same issue. I do remember seeing some astigmatism using my XW20 too 🤔

I believe the Dioptrx is compatible with Panoptic 24 too 👍

Now that you mention, it could very well be astigmatism, in fact I know it was and I never put two and two together. About a year after I sold the eyepiece I realized I had astigmatism in my observing eye at low powers, left eye is much better but, I notice my astigmatism affects stars in the whole FOV and not just the edge mainly as with the 24 Panoptic hmm, I want one again for my refractor. I’m curious to see what the difference of any would be as lately I have been training myself to observe more with my left eye.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sunshine said:

It sounds to me as if you were seeing coma, which is an inescapable feature of the Newtonian not the eyepiece. Inescapable that is unless you have a coma corrector. It only becomes objectionable as you get further from the centre of the image, which is why it’s only really noticed on wide-field eyepieces. I very nearly sold my Panoptic 35 for exactly the same reason, but when I got a CC the seagulls disappeared!

Cheers, Magnus

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Now that you mention, it could very well be astigmatism, in fact I know it was and I never put two and two together. About a year after I sold the eyepiece I realized I had astigmatism in my observing eye at low powers, left eye is much better but, I notice my astigmatism affects stars in the whole FOV and not just the edge mainly as with the 24 Panoptic hmm, I want one again for my refractor. I’m curious to see what the difference of any would be as lately I have been training myself to observe more with my left eye.

38 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

It sounds to me as if you were seeing coma, which is an inescapable feature of the Newtonian not the eyepiece. Inescapable that is unless you have a coma corrector. It only becomes objectionable as you get further from the centre of the image, which is why it’s only really noticed on wide-field eyepieces. I very nearly sold my Panoptic 35 for exactly the same reason, but when I got a CC the seagulls disappeared!

Cheers, Magnus

Yes, either or both.

I didn't notice either when I started, then I got a 30mm plossl and realized I was seeing the effects of my own astigmatism, which is worse in one eye than the other. Likewise I was always surprised (or concerned) that I'd not seen any effects of coma from my F5 Newtonian, which I understood would be visible towards the edge of the field. But to begin with I'd only ever used 60° BST Starguiders; I did start to see "comet trails" at the edge when I tried 82° EPs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Very surprised by that. My Panoptic 24 is pin sharp right across the field with my F/5.3 12 inch dob :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Very surprised by that. My Panoptic 24 is pin sharp right across the field with my F/5.3 12 inch dob :icon_scratch:

As mentioned above it could very well have been a product of my astigmatism in my right eye along with coma, whatever the cause, it was there.

• Like 2