Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

Well for the first time in about 14 months !!! (exageration) i was able to actually use the scope for about an hour . to me it felt like i was out there all night . To be honest i was only interested in a couple of stars and the moon , i hovered my phone cam above the EP and took this shot .. not too well framed but for me it was just a joy to be able to see something . 

taken on iphone , through 25mm EP , Ts Optics 8" CC 

moon.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Davesellars said:

Well...  It's really clear here at the moment!  Even ClearOutside says so... therefore it must be true. 😅   I shall get the 4" refractor out for some lunar observation and perhaps some double stars.

1299086080_Screenshot2022-03-14at13-13-05ClearOutsidev10-InternationalWeatherForecastsForAstronomers.png.8256713192e6e3b29a484d0f7122c86a.png

Go for it! The moon is looking spectacular at the moment by naked eye. Dob will be getting out soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davesellars said:

Even ClearOutside says so... therefore it must be true.

If I look out of the window and it's clear, and CO agrees, I conclude that I'm hallucinating. Unless it's backed up by at least two other sites.

So at the moment, the end of this week is looking hopeful here, if you want to crank up the magnification on the moon (or sun):

image.png

and Friday on Metcheck is showing very steady ...

image.png.f8acf8a6b6d20675e10a9d85430471e1.png

... supported by Netweather, showing the jetstream shifting away:

image.png.795fe90dc8f7979e5e0fc9ededa4043e.png

Now, do I put something out to cool down for this evening? :-

image.png.671e6266001dbb608449d57bdf31a163.png

Edited by Zermelo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Solar by day,
Lunar by night,
This is astronnermy
Done just right!

Good view of a chain of sunspots at lunch today, with a fine view of many craters on the moon after dinner!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Davesellars said:

Me too...  That is a good idea...  I should really invest in a solar wedge some day!!!

I have the TS wedge, very pleased with it.

• Like 1

I just managed to see the pup for the first time with my 8" Dob at x358 magnification. Seeing is extremely stable and it is the first time it was not a disco ball. Very excited! Off to the moon now 

• Like 9

Just came in from a short (40 min) Lunar session with the 12" f/5. Moderate seeing. Spotted the fine cracklings and craterlets on Gassendi's floor, the Rupes Liebig and the double line of the Rimae de Gasparis. A line of small craterlets could be made out on Mersenius' floor. The sun was just rising over Hansteen and Billy, their floors still dark. Between them the "arrowhead" of Mons Hansteen. The Hesiodus A concentricity was easily seen at around 300x mag (Seben Zoom+ 2X Abbe Barlow). Still struggling to spot the inner ring of concentric crater Marth (3.1 km inner diameter); never really seen it up to now. Aristarchus and Herodotus. Once again, the tiny shadow triangle of the Promontorium Laplace as an ink black spot far in the bright illuminated suroundings.

Stephan

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Kon said:

I just managed to see the pup for the first time with my 8" Dob at x358 magnification. Seeing is extremely stable and it is the first time it was not a disco ball. Very excited! Off to the moon now 

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the pup ? Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Stop it, the lot of you! 😡

I had a couple of workmen come today to fix the streetlight which overlooks our front garden (where I do all my viewing). It hasn't worked for a year, so I'd forgotten all about it. Great. The garden looks like Blackpool illuminations and I can't see a thing. Cursing volubly, I moved the whole shooting match to the rear, but that's even worse.

Ok, yes, I can try and get the council to do something, but you can imagine how long that will take - the workmen said they might change to led lighting within the next two years! 👿

Meanwhile, I have nowhere to view from unless I pack everything into the car.....

It's just as well I'm a patient man.....AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

• Sad 8

Moon very stable as well; I stayed with x358 magnification (I need more EPs to go higher) and Mersenius was the highlight for me; I could see small craters inside the main one.  I counted at least 4 big ones and a few smaller ones. A nice Rille was also observable along Liebig . The ridge running along Marius (not sure what it is called) looked delicate with some nice details. Overall an excellent lunar night.

• Like 4

Short moon session with great seeing, really enjoying my Towa 339 80mm f15 for lunar, so sharp. Concentrated on the area around Aristarchus and then Mare Humorum tons of detail until the cloud rolled in. 

Tried my new to me Celestron 40mm Plossl for the first time in the Towa and it’s a lovely crisp lower powered pairing giving whole moon views at 30x. Spent the most time with the BCO 10mm in at 120x - fabulous. 

• Like 3

Had a quick look at the moon, seeing isn't too bad.

Collimation is horrible though. Spent 15 mins fiddling with that. The mirror either moves, doesn't move, or clunks horribly. Thankfully the new uprated springs arrived today so hopefully it will be better when they are fitted.

• Like 1