NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oldie starting back out

bish789

Hi everyone.

Getting back into astronomy properly now, only played at it years ago.

Moved to Scotland a couple of years ago from York area, where there was a lot of light intrusion.

Where I am when it's a clear night it's amazing what you can see with the naked eye.

Bought a 2nd hand Astromaster 130EQ with motor drive (junk) and waiting for some clouds to disappear to try out properly.

Have aligned it roughly, and collimated it so when the clouds disappear I'll finish that off.

However bad news is I'm already window shopping for a potential wife allowed upgrade.

Goto? not sure

EQ3-2 and mC 102 or 127? Mm look nice, and could double up with the 130 whose mount is agricultural.

I'll ponder on it.

Anyway I'll be searching on here for tips.

Clear skies

• Like 1

Thanks Heather

Changed it now. Didn't realise it was 10 years ago I was here on the forum.

One thing up here is lack of shops that sell astronomy equipment.

When I was in York and before that Halifax had a couple of shops within an hours drive.

Now it's going to be mail order.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bish789 said:

Thanks Heather

Changed it now. Didn't realise it was 10 years ago I was here on the forum.

One thing up here is lack of shops that sell astronomy equipment.

When I was in York and before that Halifax had a couple of shops within an hours drive.

Now it's going to be mail order.

Or .... there often seem to be tantalisingly good deals of second hand kit on here which look really attractive until I read the words : Collection only' and see the location as Scotland ...

You need to pass the threshold of 25 (I think, do check on that, I may have misremembered) posts to see the buy/swap threads on here, but it looks like you have the month's membership period threshold sorted 🙂

Heather

• Like 1

Well nice starry night here tonight. Had already set up telescope (allegedly).

First of all, miles out from Polaris, so thought get it close and just see what's about.

Doing a little bit of looking around getting used to the mount and controls.

Now then this is when I find out I've unloosened the bolt that holds the tube on when it crashes to the floor.

TBH, was having difficulty in moving scope around anyway which just gives creedence to my thoughts on the mount that comes with the scope.

So onto FLO to see what the wife can afford LOL

Definitely a newbie.

4 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Or .... there often seem to be tantalisingly good deals of second hand kit on here which look really attractive until I read the words : Collection only' and see the location as Scotland ...

You need to pass the threshold of 25 (I think, do check on that, I may have misremembered) posts to see the buy/swap threads on here, but it looks like you have the month's membership period threshold sorted 🙂

Heather

I was thinking exactly the same thing 😃

• Haha 1

Thanks Astro_Dad

Was thinking of a MC102 or 127 myself.

As you've said it's choosing the right mount.

The Skywatcher wi fi system looks ok and is relatively cheap as a package.

Decisions decisions

4 minutes ago, bish789 said:

Thanks Astro_Dad

Was thinking of a MC102 or 127 myself.

As you've said it's choosing the right mount.

The Skywatcher wi fi system looks ok and is relatively cheap as a package.

Decisions decisions

Indeed - the Skywatcher Syn Scan system works well and is reasonably cost effective, though I don’t think in my experience is quite as easy to use as Celestron Sky Align system but it’s marginal. The Skymax 127 on the Virtuoso mount is excellent and is presumably great on the regular AZ GTi set up. 

Tough choices but all good fun!

Welcome aboard SGL, good to have you with us... or should I say welcome back!

Yup, York's not brilliant for light pollution (born there), but where you are now sounds much better. Enjoy getting back into this great hobby.

Edited by Starwatcher2001

• 2 weeks later...