SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Iris Nebula NGC7023 and Gyulbudaghian's Nebula LBN468

carastro

I went with a small group of Astrophotographers to the Cotswolds last week Bortle 4, so nice after my horrible home location of Bortle 8.  This is the first of 2 images I managed to acquire on the 2 clear nights we had.

Been wanting an opportunity to get this combination of targets for some time, but given my lack of dark sky opportunities, I didn't dare risk starting a Mosaic, so I used my Samyang lens.  

Atik460EX and Samyang 135mm @ f2.8

Lum 23 x 600 (3hours 50mins)
RGB 14 x 150secs binned each filter (35m each) total 1 hour 45 mins
Total imaging time 5 hours 35mins

Stupidly forgot to cool the camera, so the whole lot was done uncooled (gun to head).

spacer.png

• Like 44

That's wonderful Carole, really nicely processed. Amazing what a difference even a Bortle 4 sky can make. The Samyang 135 F2 is a great lens, and one I'd like to get myself at some point in the future.

Ps - one small piece of feedback, if I may. The image could benefit from a bit more contrast. A quick blast of Dehaze in PS might do the trick, or even just a small curves adjustment, but either way it's still amazing. 

13 minutes ago, carastro said:

Thanks everyone. 

Thanks Xiga, means a lot.

Not heard of this, and I use PS all the time, but maybe it's in the later versions of PS,  I use CS3.  

Carole 

It's a slider in Camera Raw under the Filters menu. I'm on PS CC 2014 so it's possible it's not on the earlier versions. 

well done Carol, tried this last week with my Samyang @ f2.4 + my ASI533mc from my garden bottle 5/6 but could only get just the iris, even in massive stretch I could barely see a hint of the strongest dark neb on the right. I think I will have to try again with my mono 460 or 383, though I was really hoping the OSC would work on this as ive seen may people getting a good image using OSC, maybe they have darker skies than me. I do fine with narrowband or goalies just never really get anywhere with dark nebulas / IFN.

Lee

• Like 1

well done Carol, tried this last week with my Samyang @ f2.4 + my ASI533mc from my garden bottle 5/6 but could only get just the iris, even in massive stretch I could barely see a hint of the strongest dark neb on the right. I think I will have to try again with my mono 460 or 383, though I was really hoping the OSC would work on this as ive seen may people getting a good image using OSC, maybe they have darker skies than me. I do fine with narrowband or goalies just never really get anywhere with dark nebulas / IFN.

I  haven't used OSC for donkeys years, I imagine you would struggle.  My combo was Samyang/460 which is what you have.

Carole 

That's nice, Carole, and not badly damaged by the cooling issue. We've all done that. Ten days ago in my case!

Olly

Thanks Olly, and it's reassuring to know that I am not alone in my idiocy.  

However considering I thought this was going to be a write off because of being uncooled, I was totally gobmacked to receive the following message from Astrobin this evening:

Congratulations! Your image was voted Top Pick: Iris Nebula NGC7023 and Gyulbudaghian's Nebula LBN468

Carole 

• Like 2