NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wot no shadow?

markse68

Just out watching another Io transit and there's no shadow! I guess because it's so close to opposition but last time the shadow lead Io and appeared before it crossed the limb. Must be hiding behind Io's disk.

But it's stunningly clear tonight again- Io is clearly visible as a white disk against the surface. And 2 white storms in a southern belt heading toward the limb which is a first time for me and loads of colour in the belts. No blue tonight- maybe I imagined it yesterday- sorry @ScouseSpaceCadet 😬

Oh and Saturn is nice and sharp tonight too which is a nice change- clear divisions in the rings and some lovely banding shading of the planet. Think I spotted 5/ definitely 4 moons.

Edit: in the time it took to write that Io's shadow has joined us- trailing Io this time. Phew 😅

Mark

Edited by markse68
  • Like 3

Skysafari's simulation does show a shadow..... following the transit not leading it.  Not sure how accurate it's meant to be.  I looked over the past few transits and they all have a training shadow.  When did you observe a leading one and I'll check then too.

Hi Glob, last time I saw one was a few weeks before opposition so I think it makes sense doesn't it? I'll have to look it up but I distinctly remember seeing the shadow on the limb before/as Io crossed onto it. My memory does seem to be letting me down though...

Mark

12 minutes ago, bish said:

Just watching shadow transit now. Seeing very good.

Me too but a big chunk of cloud has just spoiled things. Hope it will move on soon.

Saturn was lovely earlier as well.

Seeing the moon itself in transit, rather than the shadow, is usually somewhat easier when it is close to the planets limb rather than when it's more central. The limb darkening effect helps to show the moon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, globular said:

Hi Mark,  yeah it makes sense... and I've checked the simulation and it has a leading shadow before opposition and a trailing one now.  Not sure why you can't see it.  I can't because of cloud :(

Sorry Glob, I edited first post- it showed up while I was first writing it haha

Mark

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

Me too but a big chunk of cloud has just spoiled things. Hope it will move on soon.

Seeing the moon itself in transit, rather than the shadow, is usually somewhat easier when it is close to the planets limb rather than when it's more central. The limb darkening effect helps to show the moon.

Missed Saturn, a bit too low for me. Not had my scope out in a few months but got to use my new morpheus 4.5mm tonight because the seeing has been so good most of the time.

• Like 1

Yes I also got the transit, fascinating to watch it appear and I then spent the next hour tracking it halfway across the disc. Seeing was very steady and the views through both the 102ED-R (with BVs) and the C8 were excellent. 180x - 200x seemed to be the sweet spot, although I did crank up the C8 to 500x - the view was still steady but didn’t reveal any more detail . Just a shame the GRS didn’t make an appearance too. Amazing how often it’s not visible when I am observing! 

• Like 1

Just watched the end of the transit - although Io was only visible to me as it left the disk, followed closely by its shadow. Seeing is not great here, either. Using a 12" Newtonian, though not one I've ever had the best planet views with, sadly.

Regards, Mike.

1 hour ago, John said:

I caught some more of the Io shadow transit in gaps in the cloud until it was about 75% of the way across the disk, then the gaps closed.

When things were clear 200x (Ethos 6mm) was working excellently on both Saturn and Jupiter - very sharp indeed.

• Like 1

Our local forecast  did  predict the clearing sky  though I didn't believe it, too many false dawns lately , but clear it did and with it some really good seeing.  The majority of the time was spent observing Saturn and Jupiter, both looking crisp and beautiful with lots of banding, some with detail, and of course the transit of Io, from limb to limb.

The clouds stayed away until just before 2 am at which point , I had taken  splendid views of Lunar at mags as high as 235x to round off a fine session.

The whole time I was able to use the 10.5mm Carton / Megavista pair,  superbly sharp and clear 65 - 68 'ish degree  eyepieces. 

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 3

Love seeing the Jupiter transits, gives a real time view of the dynamic nature of the solar system. If someone had told me when i first saw Jupiter all those years ago, that i would be able to observe and also "take pictures" of these events i would not have believed them. A wonderful time to be an astronomer, despite the challenges that modern life puts in the way.