Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Slow 'frac storage

After 16 years, I get my old 'study' back! Well, that makes it sound a bit grand, but the old spare room that became a nursery in 2005 is now empty again. My younger daughter has annexed the nice back room!

Anyway, the little room upstairs is now empty and will gain my desk and PC, plus sofa and xbox/telly (for the kids). It's also still got the old wardrobe. It's going to be tight, but i have plans for astro-storage, books, pictures, etc. But I'm wondering about the longer refractor that I have. The f11 80mm Vixen laguishes on a table in the front room. Looks nice there, but the wife wants it out! 

No problem, now I have my astro-study! But what is the best way to store such a scope: Horizontal or vertical? Resting on its rings, or suspended? Can I just sit it end-down on the dew sheild?

Cheers

Horizontal if you can would be my recommendation, dew shield down gives a minor risk of focuser grease dropping on the back of the objective which would be less that ideal

Since it's your astro study, why not pop up a nice shelf with a couple of attached U shaped felt lined stands so it can have pride of place? A bit like the below

How to make an antique telescope display stand - Jack + Bax

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ideally I would keep mine horizontal but I have quite a few and there just isn't room so they are stored vertically.

Fortunately, I've not noticed any issues with stuff dropping down the tube onto the back of the objectives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

Ideally I would keep mine horizontal but I have quite a few and there just isn't room so they are stored vertically.

?? Yu dont suffer any center lens droop storing them vertically? :hiding:

:grin::grin:

Edited by jetstream
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, jetstream said:

?? Yu dont suffer any center lens droop storing them vertically? :hiding:

:grin::grin:

Actually the figure of the objectives have all improved over time with the gravity assistance. They are all .99 strehl now :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, John said:

Actually the figure of the objectives have all improved over time with the gravity assistance. They are all .99 strehl now :grin:

Yes, Im still working on some glass using this approach 😀

In reality I dont know if it matters horizontal or vertically, I do both at times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Just a thought, but will storing scopes upstairs become a tiresome chore? My initial storage was in a loft office and on occasion I couldn't be bothered going up and down two flights of stairs with the kit...

The dob has a nice alcove in the kitchen by the back door. The Vixen SP and tripod can live in the garage, too. It'll only be the fracs / Manfrotto tripod / AZ5 / EP cases that will llive upstairs.

I’m pretty lucky as I have 2 rooms downstairs to store my scopes and other assorted stuff. Got all my 3 ‘fracs, 8”  SCT & 6” RC stored on mounts horizontally. Only the large 10 Skywatcher Newt is stored vertically next to my Skytee2 mount that holds thr SCT & RC scopes. Sometimes I think I live in a branch of FLO! ;) 

• Like 2

If funds allow, I'd recommend a nice holdall to store such a nice old scope in..

I bought an Oklop holdall from FLO for my Tak back in June (a gift from my grown up children for Father's Day). Really well made piece of kit.

In the past I've found that in summer, on hot humid days, those wretched tiny Thunder flies can get indoors and invade the tiniest of spaces (I had a couple get under my laptop screen a couple of years ago!).. a decent zip up holdall like the Oklop can help keep unwanted little critters at bay😊👍.

Dave

IMG_20210609_101533405_HDR_copy_750x1000.jpg

IMG_20210609_101748013_HDR_copy_750x1000.jpg

IMG_20210609_101624195_HDR_copy_750x1000.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Photo added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always imagined having a telescope in the corner of my study when I got one. Having just moved house, I finally have a spare room to call my own, so thought it would be rude not to put the Telementor on its Unitron mount in the corner. That’s my suggestion for what you should do! 👍👍

NB The clock was made by my daughter as a D&T project 😀

3306E92B-F4C8-4CF6-B3BD-1E3A2CA75D8F.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’ve always imagined having a telescope in the corner of my study when I got one. Having just moved house, I finally have a spare room to call my own, so though it would be rude not to put the Telementor on its Unitron mount in the corner. That’s my suggestion for why you should do! 👍👍

NB The clock was made by my daughter as a D&T project 😀

3306E92B-F4C8-4CF6-B3BD-1E3A2CA75D8F.jpeg

Unfortunately,  when I said that this room will be tight,  I meant it! There's no room for the Vixen SP mount and tripod set up! Not with the sofa, X-Box and telly! It is a small room.

I think it'll be a shelf with bagged scope. I'll keep the mount and tripod in the garage with the spiders.

I think my other half would be OK with an elegant telescope tucked away in the corner of the dining room. I, on the other hand, could live happily with a small dining table tucked away in the corner of an astro equipment room :grin:

https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/monthly_04_2008/post-14987-14072469014039.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2