Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wow! Zeiss Abbe Ortho's on Fleabay.

Franklin

Saw a set go on ABS in June with asking price £2500 so they fetch good money. That was as new where as buying these presents somewhat of a risk given you can’t view and minimal info. Strange no lens caps but that may just have been a convenience thing for use given they are stored in a box.

I’d love to try some but lack of ER may be a challenge for me as I have really long eyelashes!

I had a look through one of the Zeiss ZAO orthos a few years back, the 6mm. It was clearly a superb performer even from that brief encounter. These days I suspect I would not get on so well with the short eye relief, small eye lens and limited AFoV given that my scopes are all on undriven alt-azimuth mounts :rolleyes2:

I still have a Fujiyama 4mm HD ortho which I stick in a scope from time to time to remind myself what using such eyepieces is like in practical terms. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IB20 said:

I thought about chucking in a cheeky bid when they were around £160. Think I’ll let them go at this price and above. 😅

Quite :)

Though at the moment (just under £1300) I'd not say they're outrageously overpriced.  I'm sure lots of people (even on SGL) have paid far more for a set of five eyepieces.

James

For poor people take into consideration these little wonders...

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/accessories/optical-accessories/eyepieces/q-turret-classic-ortho-plossl/classic-ortho-10mm-1¼"-okular-(ht-mc).html

6 mm, 10 mm, 18 mm...

"The eyepieces use the same glasses and the same optical design as the old orthoscopic Zeiss Jena eyepieces."  

I have them and they are wonderful... Even better when you consider price.

• Like 4