NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some treats with the 102ED-R

RobertI

First session in a LONG time (13th June to be precise). Had a rare good day at work, and finished on a high and motivated to make the most of the clear night promised. My main targets tonight were the following objects, which I have been waiting to view through my new 102ED-R for the first time: 

- Jupiter using the BVs and the 102ED-R; Mars was so spectacular last year and such a revelation with this (new to me) set up, I was chomping at the bit to see Jupiter. 

- The Veil using my 38mm Panaview; an eyepiece bought specifically for the purpose of fitting in the whole Veil complex. 

When finally the last bathroom light went out (apart from one - I think someone must have fallen asleep on the toilet!) I tried the Veil. Even though it was not fully dark, I was delighted to easily find it and, YES, the whole complex did fit in the FOV  With the 2” UHC attached the view was breathtaking, with subtle structure visible in the arcing Eastern Veil. In and really dark sky and an OIII filter this will be something to behold. 

Next was a swap to Jupiter. With the BV arrangement giving a magnification of 175x, Jupiter was HUGE. And even though low over the rooftops, the view was surprisingly steady, yielding beautiful rusty belts, a prominent white belt and several festoons and lots of structure. It was a really amazing moment to see Jupiter like this. Should be amazing as the months progress and it climbs higher. 

So mission accomplished, targets observed and warm glow achieved. The 102ED-R continues to impress. 🙂

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 15

Nice report - wish it was clear here !

That is what is so impressive with these 4 inch F/7 (ish) ED doublet refractors. You can go from an expansive near 4 degree true field to 200x plus. Really versatile instruments :icon_biggrin:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, John said:

That is what is so impressive with these 4 inch F/7 (ish) ED doublet refractors. You can go from an expansive near 4 degree true field to 200x plus. Really versatile instruments :icon_biggrin:

Thanks John. I hadn’t appreciated how the two objects were at such opposite ends of the observing spectrum - I take it for granted now! 

I also hankered after a 2” OIII filter (holding a 1.25” OIII confirmed better structure than the UHC) - probably worth it just for the Veil!

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1

Great report @RobertI, the 102mm sounds like a lovely scope and I agree with John, they are really versatile for a wide range of objects. A widefield refractor, OIII and nice big 2” eyepiece makes for a grand combination on the Veil, one of my favourite targets. Give the North America Nebula a try too next time, that’s a great one in the same combo. Needs good transparency and dark skies too to show at its best.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John said:

Indeed it is John.

Nice report @RobertIand sounds similar all round to my session last night, but without binoviewers, the Veil or Bathroom Lights. 
Jupiter was great, but very on/off for me as my moment to observe is limited by trees presently.

I was using my ED103s Vixen, so very similar scope spec to yours, and it does as John says show how versatile they are.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stu said:

Great report @RobertI, the 102mm sounds like a lovely scope and I agree with John, they are really versatile for a wide range of objects. A widefield refractor, OIII and nice big 2” eyepiece makes for a grand combination on the Veil, one of my favourite targets. Give the North America Nebula a try too next time, that’s a great one in the same combo. Needs good transparency and dark skies too to show at its best.

Thanks Stu. The 38mm is an impressively big eyepiece, but it does suffer from ‘fall off’ toward the edge of the FOV, which isn’t ideal when trying to view the whole of the Veil, so I had the centre the area of interest to get the most detail, but still a lovely view. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Thanks Stu. The 38mm is an impressively big eyepiece, but it does suffer from ‘fall off’ toward the edge of the FOV, which isn’t ideal when trying to view the whole of the Veil, so I had the centre the area of interest to get the most detail, but still a lovely view. 

You’ll be needing a 31mm Nagler then 👹👹, certainly my favourite low power eyepiece for the Veil and NAN. The ES 30mm 82 is pretty close but the Nag has better edge performance to my eyes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alan White said:

Indeed it is John.

Nice report @RobertIand sounds similar all round to my session last night, but without binoviewers, the Veil or Bathroom Lights. 
Jupiter was great, but very on/off for me as my moment to observe is limited by trees presently.

I was using my ED103s Vixen, so very similar scope spec to yours, and it does as John says show how versatile they are.

Cheers Alan. That’s a lovely scope, similar spec but somewhat better optics I’d wager! 😋

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

You’ll be needing a 31mm Nagler then 👹👹, certainly my favourite low power eyepiece for the Veil and NAN. The ES 30mm 82 is pretty close but the Nag has better edge performance to my eyes.

You trying to bankrupt me Stu? 😆 Seriously, thanks for the steer, perhaps the ES might be a good step up. I’ll have a play with the FOV calculator and check out the prices. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Wicked man :grin:

vix102nagler31.JPG.83c0d0cd8e1ac71b8e4b8642ea1589ee.JPG

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Or how about the super APM UFF 30mm I have, replaced my 27mm Panoptic.

• Like 2

Nice report, your description of Jupiter behind the eyepiece makes me envious as I will be clouded over all weekend.  Looking up your scope online (I did not recognize the model number) I see it is a Starwave, a really nice looking scope it is and it sounds like it performs as well as it looks. Maybe its time to start a 102 owners club here on SGL, that has a nice ring to it!.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Nice report, your description of Jupiter behind the eyepiece makes me envious as I will be clouded over all weekend.  Looking up your scope online (I did not recognize the model number) I see it is a Starwave, a really nice looking scope it is and it sounds like it performs as well as it looks. Maybe its time to start a 102 owners club here on SGL, that has a nice ring to it!.

Yes that’s the scope. Tecnosky and TS also do the same scope with their own branding. It’s made by Kunming United Optics and seems to be very popular scope with glowing reports  from owners. It’s a quality scope and I can’t really think of single bad thing to say about it! A 102 owner’s thread seems like a nice idea! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Yes that’s the scope. Tecnosky and TS also do the same scope with their own branding. It’s made by Kunming United Optics and seems to be very popular scope with glowing reports  from owners. It’s a quality scope and I can’t really think of single bad thing to say about it! A 102 owner’s thread seems like a nice idea! 

We may be the only two in the thread as I’m willing to bet 102 is not a common aperture 😂

• Haha 1

On 06/08/2021 at 11:01, Alan White said:

Or how about the super APM UFF 30mm I have, replaced my 27mm Panoptic.

Looks like an interesting option Alan. Might be a bit tight on FOV for the Veil possibly? Got me thinking that I have a 0.8X reducer/flattener for F6 scopes - wonder if this might give an even wider and slightly flatter field? Having done a quick search not sure if flattener would make the edges better or worse for visual. Might give it a go if I have the right adaptor. 

2 minutes ago, John said:

102mm is the old 4 inches. A very popular aperture.

I'm sure 100mm - 105mm's will squeeze in as well though :grin:

I was just about to ask why 102mm is common(ish), but you have answered John. All the better, I have a genuine 4” frac. 🤗 

• Like 1