NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which 7 mm eyepiece to fill a gap?

JeremyS

Today’s first world problem.....

I have been enjoying Saturn and Jupiter the last few nights using the Tak TSA 120, Tak 1.5  ED extender = 1350 mm FL.
I especially like the views with 7 mm eyepieces, x 190.
My 7 mm Or is probably best, but the FOV is a bit narrow when I am using an undriven mount. My Pentax KL 7 is also wonderful, wider field, but a bit bulky and heavy.
So I turn to my set of Naglers and immediately fall into the gap of there being no 7 mm in my collection. I like Naglers cos of the wide FOV and relatively light weight + small size (please: nobody mention the darned undercuts). My OCD has always been calling for the gap to be filled.
The obvious solution is to get a Nagler T6 7mm, so I have a wanted ad posted. 
But should I be considering the Morpheus 6.5? OK, it’s not 7 mm, but it is light and compact (I’ll forgive its safety smurfs). How closely parfocal is it with the Naglers?

My biggest question for the Nagler selection would be how they interact with the 1.5 extender. IME the Naglers are great eyepieces but do benefit from the VIP (in my case) in the sharpness dept. Without the barlow the Naglers might limit sharpness a bit...The 16T5 goes razor like with the VIP... a bit soft without ( compared to my best).

While not owning one, the 7mm XW Pentax would be top on the list but not sure of the weight. For all but the highest mag I use a Zeiss 25.1-6.7 zoom/VIP- heavy and long but superb.The Leica Asph is vg as well.

• Like 1

Never owned a 7mm Nagler T6, but if its eye relief is anything like the ES82, then the Morpheus a lot more comfortable in this regard. Pentax XW would be equally comfortable, but it's quite a bit more hefty physically than the Morpheus.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Today’s first world problem.....

I have been enjoying Saturn and Jupiter the last few nights using the Tak TSA 120, Tak 1.5  ED extender = 1350 mm FL.
I especially like the views with 7 mm eyepieces, x 190.
My 7 mm Or is probably best, but the FOV is a bit narrow when I am using an undriven mount. My Pentax KL 7 is also wonderful, wider field, but a bit bulky and heavy.
So I turn to my set of Naglers and immediately fall into the gap of there being no 7 mm in my collection. I like Naglers cos of the wide FOV and relatively light weight + small size (please: nobody mention the darned undercuts). My OCD has always been calling for the gap to be filled.
The obvious solution is to get a Nagler T6 7mm, so I have a wanted ad posted. 
But should I be considering the Morpheus 6.5? OK, it’s not 7 mm, but it is light and compact (I’ll forgive its safety smurfs). How closely parfocal is it with the Naglers?

The Morpheus is not even closely parfocal with the Nagler.  Well, it's about 1/4" apart (the Morpheus is more inward, the Nagler more outward), which is not a really long distance as eyepieces go.

My own eyepieces focus over a 3/4" range, which is fairly typical.

• Thanks 1

7mm Delite is a lovely eyepiece Jeremy, and it’s even lovelier in a TSA-120. Optically, contrast, sharpness and brightness all up there with the best - including orthoscopics, to my eyes at least. However, not everyone gets on with the adjustable eye guard, or the narrower fov (I’ve grown to prefer it - love being able to see a sharp field stop without having to push down and peer around). They’re also a little too physically wide for perfectly comfortable binoviewing - although it’s possible to remove the eyepiece top and reveal a sort of modern day smoothie plossl underneath to free up space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1