Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and Saturn 20th July

neil phillips

Got one capture of each. Saturn because i lost it behind my neighbours roof. And Jupiter because clouds came over. Still both clearly my best yet. Shooting in darkness is making a big difference. Have been collimating using a cheshire and colli cap untill now. Decided to try my laser for secondary. cheshire for primary. 

Nothing fancy Both RGB captures. No IR or red lums. colour is more faithful.  video de rotation winjupos 

Orion 245mm Newtonian F6.3 SW EQ5 Mount. QHY 462C camera. QHY IR UV CUT Filter. GSO 3X ED barlow lens 

Not sure if its my eyes but i think i can see blurred portions of the hexagon ?

There is much discussion about colour on jupiter. I think this is a close guess for colour weight per channel. You can tell when your in the ball park when you have nice pure white tones. Especially when there is a lot of colour. Its there that they will impart colour casts if not close. 

Saturn RGB 20th July.png SMALLER.png

200% resample to 90% save 

Saturn RGB 20th July.png

01:28 UT

Jupiter 20th July RGB.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 18

Both fine images Neil yes i like the soft yet natural processing too! i agree rgb is the best without any added luminance which always alters the colour correction somewhat, but has a place when seeing and low trans is below par, in rare good conditions there should be no need to use luminance imo!

25 minutes ago, si@nite said:

Both fine images Neil yes i like the soft yet natural processing too! i agree rgb is the best without any added luminance which always alters the colour correction somewhat, but has a place when seeing and low trans is below par, in rare good conditions there should be no need to use luminance imo!

No Agreed they have there place. I got a filter wheel to do just that. But with a EQ5 and a monster Newtonian on it. Heavy filter wheel. its all getting a bit much. Might be better off sticking to RGB here. Not sure yet. But really need a bigger mount. 

I'm loving them Saturns Neil. The rgb colour balance looks spot on to my eyes it is clearly your best so far. Regarding the hexegon I cannot see it but I dare say while processing you could have seen glimpses of it?  You have also captured a very fine Jupiter too.

22 minutes ago, morimarty said:

I'm loving them Saturns Neil. The rgb colour balance looks spot on to my eyes it is clearly your best so far. Regarding the hexegon I cannot see it but I dare say while processing you could have seen glimpses of it?  You have also captured a very fine Jupiter too.

Cheers Martin. Its frustrating because i get a few seconds of a stable image. Then its off again.  I also have a limited time window because of a opposing house roof. Still we have to work with what we got. After 5 years away from astronomy. Its enjoyable to me again. Still think i can get better if calmer air was more stable for a little longer than i have been getting we live in hope

31 minutes ago, astroman001 said:

Hi Neil, another set of great images with the 245 Newt, Well done. Some great detail captured.

Peter

Hi Peter. Many thanks. Its good to see the planetary section come back to life this year. The planets may be low. But its just as interesting seeing the results everyone is getting. Havent seen any from you yet Peter. I know how good you can coax your C14 to perform on low planets.