Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and Saturn 20th July

neil phillips

11 hours ago, si@nite said:

Hi again Neil superb globe detail in this capture yet still keeping it real ( natural looking) lovely great stuff!

Did you restack the avis or  reprocess from the original!

Hi Simon thanks i think i restacked. From memory. 

39 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Both look excellent to me Neil, you definitely can see the Polar Hex. A nice little "dimple" visible in the GRS as well on Jupiter.

Yes that little dimple is a sign at least the seeing isnt totally destroying detail. After my last results. really wondering how much the ADC is going to sharpen the images. They honestly dont look that bad to me without a ADC. So the question remains how much more can i pull out ? When you see the effect ADCs can have on low planets. And i have been researching more lately. Sometimes it can be dramatic. Hard to imagine a dramatic improvement over my last saturns at this elevation. But i am unsure tbh Pete. One thing is certain. I will need high pressure. Good seeing. Good collimation. And no wind. all in one night. Thats without the joys of learning to use a ADC. Briefly messed with one 6 years ago. It was awkward on a NEQ6.  On a EQ5 with this F6.3 focal ratio newt. Any sudden movement the planet flys off. Couple that with image shift sideways moving the ADC levers. You can see how much fun i am going to have here ( not )

But excited to try at least. So far this new Antares secondary and qhy 462c camera seem to have breathed new life into the old equipment. Its good to be back here talking with old friends. Like yourself Pete. 

• Thanks 1

I use the ADC every time I image in colour, I guess at higher altitudes where the dispersion is less, the impact of it will be less dramatic. I do preset it these days before I fit it, then check the colour aligniment once Jupiter is on the chip.

5 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

I use the ADC every time I image in colour, I guess at higher altitudes where the dispersion is less, the impact of it will be less dramatic. I do preset it these days before I fit it, then check the colour aligniment once Jupiter is on the chip.

Makes sense if you have recently imaged the same target  to dial in pre settings. Out of interest do you find both levers spread by the same amount ? or does one colour need more or less adjustment