Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sites - personal protection

5 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

No, don't apologize. It turns out that the question carries a lot of baggage which is hugely location-dependent. It's interesting to discover that the world is not homogeneous!

Olly

Agreed - insight to conditions others need to consider.

4 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

If you get approached by three or four guys, forget all you see in the movies.  Even if you are a black belt (I am) you have little chance of fighting off three guys, especially if they are armed in any way.  Forget the Steven Siegal and Bruce Lee films folks.  Hand the stuff over and save your life.

All that said, rather unlikely this will happen in the UK.  A lot of this is as Olly says, an irrational fear of the dark.  But as the OP says, when out "country style" it is unerring the noises you hear.  And that is here in the UK, where there are no harmful animals.  In the USA it is a different thing altogether with Coyotes, Wolves, Bears, Snakes, Alligators and all manner of nasties that can kill...! 

All my gear is insured for use oat from the house.

Some wants it - if they can shift it, is theirs.

• Like 1

Cows are the deadliest large animals in the UK apparently.

“In fact, cows are considered as the deadliest large animals in the UK. This is because, according to report from the HSE, there have been 74 cattle-related deaths in the last 15 years. Most of the victims were farm workers and walkers with dogs.”

On average 5 people a year are killed by bees though. Yellow tailed scorpions are now to be found in Kent. 🙀🙀🙀

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Cows are the deadliest large animals in the UK apparently.

“In fact, cows are considered as the deadliest large animals in the UK. This is because, according to report from the HSE, there have been 74 cattle-related deaths in the last 15 years. Most of the victims were farm workers and walkers with dogs.”

On average 5 people a year are killed by bees though. Yellow tailed scorpions are now to be found in Kent. 🙀🙀🙀

Any large animal can be dangerous as its hard to predict how they might react, even my soppy lab could do some serious damage if she ran into you at full pelt...

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

45 minutes ago, Pixies said:

None of the Aussies have contributed yet! Seeing as my Mum is one, I feel qualified to speak.

Even the plants there can kill you.

and the birds, and the fish!

Mostly though it's the drop bears. They are lethal!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

This is a very silly thread. Does SGL always get this silly in the summer months?

Yup.

Just like the silly season in the “news”papers with crop circles off planet life forms.

We all get boarded and brainstorm now and again. But we are all mad too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iapa said:

OK, lets summarise; if it has a biological structure it will kill you. image.png.d1ecb3b0125980cfd3eb8badd6bcd4fd.png

Tsk, don't forget the dangers of gravity + geology ... falling rocks can kill, falling space rocks can kill,  falling off rocks can kill , then there's lightning and drowning due to freak rainstorms,  , being struck by runaway driverless vehicles where the driver forgot to set the handbrake, exposure, heatstroke , it's a wonder anyone dares to venture outdoors at all .

Well, except for most accidents and serious physical attacks being recorded as occurring in and around in the home .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, iapa said:

But we are all mad too. 

I am beginning to realise that. 😁

should I be worried? When I go to my dark sky site and there is a guy already there. Will he be carrying a hunting knife or pepper spray? I know he looks like he is there to do astronomy, but is he secretly thinking of whether to hit me with a torch or a counterweight bar? Maybe I should take a flick-knife next time I go just to be on the safe side.😂

Edited by Astro Noodles
  • Haha 1

In prehistoric times the UK wasn’t a safe place for human beings. Elephants, rhinos, cave bears, sabre toothed cats and most dangerous of all the Cave Lion, an 800 pound beast you wouldn’t have wanted to bump into. 🙀🙀🙀

36 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

I am beginning to realise that. 😁

should I be worried? When I go to my dark sky site and there is a guy already there. Will he be carrying a hunting knife or pepper spray? I know he looks like he is there to do astronomy, but is he secretly thinking of whether to hit me with a torch or a counterweight bar? Maybe I should take a flick-knife next time I go just to be on the safe side.😂

Take a bottle of whisky and offer a dram.

37 minutes ago, johninderby said:

In prehistoric times the UK wasn’t a safe place for human beings. Elephants, rhinos, cave bears, sabre toothed cats and most dangerous of all the Cave Lion, an 800 pound beast you wouldn’t have wanted to bump into. 🙀🙀🙀

<shrug> compared to a weej on a Saturday night after their team got beat.

21 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

What's a weej ?

A “weej” is Glaswegian. Many are avid supporters of different football teams. A minority have a predeliction for kicking 7 shades out of the opposing teams supporters. Not unlike many other city’s football supporters where there are a “city” or “united” or equivalent pairs of city located teams.

Apologies to civilised ‘weegies’.

PS raised around Glasgow.

3 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

just keep a Rhodesian Ridgeback in the boot of the car sorted.

They look fierce. Wouldn't it be cruel to lock it in the boot of your car? Would it even fit? What if it decided it wanted to get out - it would wreck the car .😄

• Like 1

Just now, iapa said:

A “weej” is Glaswegian. Many are avid supporters of different football teams. A minority have a predeliction for kicking 7 shades out of the opposing teams supporters. Not unlike many other city’s football supporters where there are a “city” or “united” or equivalent pairs of city located teams.

Apologies to civilised ‘weegies’.

PS raised around Glasgow.

Ah, I get it now. 😄

Well you should be safe enough from football hooligans. Unless that is your preferred dark sky site is outside Celtic Park. 😄

My suggestion would be if you live somewhere you have to spread peanut butter on bread with your finger while on an outing to stay legally weapons free, get you a Darth Vader outfit to view in, then when confronted turn, lift one hand slightly and simply say "never underestimate the power of the force!"

If that fails, run.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

they are soft as soft can be but let them out they will protect you and your family.... He/She will happily lie next to you and await what you descide

Still on the subject of Glaswegians I assume? 😉

• Haha 3

Used in a humorous manner nowadays and not seriously.

“Someone having your guts for garters means you are in big trouble with them. Metaphorically to the extent that they will disembowel you and use your intestines to hold up their stockings.”

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Used in a humorous manner nowadays and not seriously.

“Someone having your guts for garters means you are in big trouble with them. Metaphorically to the extent that they will disembowel you and use your intestines to hold up their stockings.”

nice