Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark sites - personal protection

I would consider near fighting for a night sky like that. They say we are the most dangerous animal on Earth and pair me up with a scope and a dark sky and nothing but a mosquito is coming near.

Probably die of malaria in a year or two🤣

Marv

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Used in a humorous manner nowadays and not seriously.

“Someone having your guts for garters means you are in big trouble with them. Metaphorically to the extent that they will disembowel you and use your intestines to hold up their stockings.”

So as per scout's rule that still applies to hold up your socks albeit elastic with your your troupe colours. Amazing you learn something every day

On 08/06/2021 at 07:00, Maideneer said:

weird howling, shrieking, buzzing etc.

We get that sort of thing all the time round here. Sometimes there are aggressive shouts, the sound of people running, police sirens and flashing blue lights etc when I am in my yard imaging at night.

Sometimes I think I would feel safer on my own in the middle of nowhere. 😁

• Like 2

On 08/06/2021 at 07:00, Maideneer said:

I’ve sat in my new found favorite field for many hours now, and the things I hear around me can be terrifying lol. Coyotes, weird howling, shrieking, buzzing etc. Hell, even people show up sometimes and have no idea I’m sitting there…that’s worrisome to me in case they see a dark shadow moving and decide to investigate.

I guess it depends where you are but does anyone utilize some level of personal protection when out in the field? I want to make sure I’m not being paranoid and this is like a totally legitimate thing to do.

How about using a couple of red LED lamps to mark a sort of perimeter to your viewing area and maybe a radio or mp3 player. That would alert at least any human that may be wandering close to you so they don't at least get startled when they stumble across you. The sound may even scare of some of the wildlife.  The other possibility to keep wildlife away may be those ultrasonic emitters for deterring domestic pets - although not sure if they really work.  To be honest I think you have raised a serious issue;  while at least in the UK we have no wildlife as such to be concerned with, observing alone at a dark site may still attract interest from other unwelcome types with bothersome intent. Stay safe. :) 

Oh just thought - I'd also treat a remote viewing session like a mountain walk.  Leave details of where you are going and when you expect to be back so that if something does happen there is somebody to raise the alert. 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, saac said:

Maybe  FLO could get the  export rights on that :)

Jim

Maybe that's why they are recruiting production and technical people at the moment

A range of protective clothing for the urban and rural astronomer. Chainmail, plate armour, greaves, gauntlets, vambaces, helms and codpieces. :)

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

Have you all forgotten the midges??? In Ireland (and I believe in Scotland) the saying is "the midges are eating me alive!".

Biting Midge on my leg.jpg

Our comment reflects the sentiment, but, is somewhat more ‘forceful’.

Edited by iapa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Astro Noodles said:

One of these for you.😁

See the source image

I've hired a cottage on the west coast , Argyll,  for our summer holiday in Jul - I could do with one of those suits :) 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

Sometimes I think I would feel safer on my own in the middle of nowhere. 😁

This!!!

The more remote you are, the safer it is....

...and darker  :)

The main risks come from other humans, though I'm sure that I am the most danger to myself...

...cheers, Paul.

On 09/06/2021 at 19:52, johninderby said:

In prehistoric times the UK wasn’t a safe place for human beings. Elephants, rhinos, cave bears, sabre toothed cats and most dangerous of all the Cave Lion, an 800 pound beast you wouldn’t have wanted to bump into. 🙀🙀🙀

.....................   Then, sound by sight,

Will mammoth and sabre-tooth celebrate reunion

While a fist of cold

Squeezes the fire at the core of the world,

Squeezes the fire at the core of the heart,

And now it is about to start.

I'm never going out at night ever again!

:Dlly

• Haha 1

I once had an alarming encounter with a Badger but otherwise can’t report any UK wildlife to cause much trouble. 

For peace of mind I take a big Maglite - the nightwatchman’s truncheon and bright enough to disorientate anyone with ill intent I’d imagine. 

If it really came down to it I wouldn’t want to get hit with a Manfrotto 90 either but my preferred option is to avoid conflict - not that it’s been an issue to date. 

(The whole thing puts me in mind of a Keith Richards story in which he says one of the reasons he prefers Telecasters to Stratocasters is that they’re better in a bar fight, but then I am mixing gear intensive hobbies there…) 

8BD3406C-824A-420D-BC4F-3A3F8DEC798C.jpeg

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

I once had an alarming encounter with a Badger but otherwise can’t report any UK wildlife to cause much trouble. 

For peace of mind I take a big Maglite - the nightwatchman’s truncheon and bright enough to disorientate anyone with ill intent I’d imagine. 

If it really came down to it I wouldn’t want to get hit with a Manfrotto 90 either but my preferred option is to avoid conflict - not that it’s been an issue to date. 

(The whole thing puts me in mind of a Keith Richards story in which he says one of the reasons he prefers Telecasters to Stratocasters is that they’re better in a bar fight, but then I am mixing gear intensive hobbies there…) 

8BD3406C-824A-420D-BC4F-3A3F8DEC798C.jpeg

yours looks brand new mine is around 20 years old and good as day one albeit a few dings works everytime and a rather heavy torch no wonder the Police use them. :) 

• Like 1