Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Triple mounted solar scopes

Nigella Bryant

54 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Hi all, just triple mounted my Calcium II K, white light and hydrogen alpha scopes. Thankfully all camera's fall in the field of view on the monitor so only a little adjustment needed to frame whichever wavelength I'm imagining. 

cool I bet that you can see so many  way cool objects with that big boy🤖

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

.... shame I cannot say the same about the music 🤣

Not House ......  Not Garage ......   not even Rock'n'Roll-on-Roll-off    ......maybe a new niche .....   Observatoire Musique  ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Thanks peps, it's all working a treat. All I need now is clear skies, lol. I thought the music was nice, lol. It's what I listen to while I'm imaging. I think it's called "Astromix." It's spaced out, lol.

Crikey, I had to lie down in a darkened room after listening to that 🤣🤣🤣. Fabulous looking setup though Nigella, really amazing. Is your dome automated as well or do you have to move it manually? Looks very cosy in there :)

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Crikey, I had to lie down in a darkened room after listening to that 🤣🤣🤣. Fabulous looking setup though Nigella, really amazing. Is your dome automated as well or do you have to move it manually? Looks very cosy in there :)

Unfortunately I have to move the dome myself. I've a pulley system on the shutter so that's easy. It is a bit of a pain moving the dome every half hour, lol. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Unfortunately I have to move the dome myself. I've a pulley system on the shutter so that's easy. It is a bit of a pain moving the dome every half hour, lol. 

Would a handle [or two] pointing downwards help you turn the dome? Something like a bit of broom handle in a clamp?
I'm not familiar with the Pulsar but it may not have anything "handy" to push or pull against.
You certainly don't want anything which protrudes into the working space.
I like my drive crank and friction wheel but you probably don't have a base ring to make that work.
A toothed belt and windscreen wiper motor? There must be lots of Pulsars with a simple DIY dome drive by now.
Synchronisation between the telescope and dome may be magical in use but it's horribly expensive or hideously complicated.
In my cheapskate opinion, of course. I missed the Thursday afternoon class on 1950s Electronics.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Would a handle [or two] pointing downwards help you turn the dome? Something like a bit of broom handle in a clamp?
I'm not familiar with the Pulsar but it may not have anything "handy" to push or pull against.
I like my drive crank and friction wheel but you probably don't have a base ring to make that work.
A toothed belt and windscreen wiper motor? There must be lots of Pulsars with a simple DIY dome drive by now.
Synchronisation between the telescope and dome may be magical in use but it's horribly expensive or hideously complicated.
In my cheapskate opinion, of course. I missed the Thursday afternoon class on 1950s Electronics.  :rolleyes:

We like handles on SGL 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rusted said:

Thanks Rusted, I certainly could do with at least a two handle's of some kind each quarter of the dome to pull it around. I got my fingers trapped against a wheel inside the ring a few months back. It hurt and was bruised for a week. I was wondering about someone of cupboard handle. I do have a motor off an old disability scooter and a variable speed controller that works with it and can reverse the motor as well. I'm not sure how to fit it, probably need to make an inner ring and have some kind of tooth ring. I would then just be able to move it as needed electronically.

20 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Have you put handle's on your dome or is it automated Jeremy?

No I’ve not added a handle Nigella. It’s manual, but there are some moulded handles on the inside of the dome. Note mine is a mark 1 Pulsar

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

No I’ve not added a handle Nigella. It’s manual, but there are some moulded handles on the inside of the dome. Note mine is a mark 1 Pulsar

Okey dokey Jeremy. Think it'll be easy to fit eight handles, two on each quarter. I really can't be bothered to automate it, lol. 

• Like 1

I considered a Pulsar dome when  I was planning my obsy, even drew up some plans but the cost of automating it to work with ASA Sequence was off-putting.

• Like 1

Funky bit of video Nigella.

I now challenge you to programme your set up to do a dance to a piece of music of your choice, a'la car building robot videos.......

Or not.