Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M20 The Triffid Nebula with added H-alpha

peter shah

I just finished grabbing the data for this one on Saturday night remotely from Spain...Its the first data set from the new camera..... M20 The Triffid Nebula, Imaged with the 17in Planewave and FLI Kepler KL4040 ....Its taken a little time to get my head around this camera but I think I'm finally there with it now. Exposure time was only 1hr each in LRGB, luminance were 60s subs, and the RGB were all 120s....

Imaged at 20 degrees so not the best for such a long focal length but I'm still very pleased with the result.

Thanks for looking

Peter Shah

I felt the original needed some H-alpha so I grabbed 30mins worth to lift the background. So this rendition has 10x180s added.

1849602987_M20TheTriffidNebulawithHa.thumb.jpg.dc5a7221d863bf3225d822cf44cef447.jpg

M20 The Triffid Nebula.jpg

Edited by peter shah
new rendition
  • Like 33

12 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

How difficult or easy is it to do this remote imaging?

The imaging is not necessarily that difficult but can be pricey.  (See slooh.com for example.)  The learning curve is more in the data processing.

That is a fantastically well done shot of the Trifid, quite possibly the best I've seen.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

How difficult or easy is it to do this remote imaging? 

I already have experience taking deep sky from home, but neighbours with lights are spoiling it.

Thanks for any insight.

There are just things like weather safeties and internet reliability, power cuts etc all have to be thought about ....but once you have all of the gremlins sorted its a joy!....until something breaks down of course.... lol 

33 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

That is incredible Peter. The colours, composition, processing....

Magic!

Thank you Francis

8 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

That is a fantastically well done shot of the Trifid, quite possibly the best I've seen.

Thank you.....Im not so sure, there are some stunners out there.....but I will take the complement all the same 🙂

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

Wow! that's some image! Fabulous detail in there.

Thank you Dave....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Earl said:

Is it my eyes or is there a lot of dark brown nebulosity going on around the corners on this also?

I think its some faint Hydrogen, but it is in the dusty part of the MW ....I am grabbing some H-alpha frames for it too, to see if I can bring out some of the faint stuff in the background

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peter shah said:

I think its some faint Hydrogen, but it is in the dusty part of the MW ....I am grabbing some H-alpha frames for it too, to see if I can bring out some of the faint stuff in the background

looking for war to seeing the results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miguel1983 said:

Nice image !

Thank you

23 minutes ago, ultranova said:

Amazing colours and detail,

with such short exposure times,

simply stunning Peter.

well done 

Paul

Thanks Paul... here is a single 60s Luminance calibrated frame from this camera...its astonishing!

60s Lum M20.jpg

• Like 1

Superb Triffid, nice to see high end kit being used to the full.👍

That single 60 sec sub is indeed a sight to behold. Leaving aside, if I may, your considerable processing skills, how much further can the sensor technology take AP I wonder?

Steve

• Thanks 1

• peter shah changed the title to M20 The Triffid Nebula with added H-alpha
On 17/05/2021 at 19:49, Sp@ce_d said:

Thats pretty neat.. its almost pushing out of the screen at me.. nice one Peter

Thank you

On 17/05/2021 at 19:51, tomato said:

Superb Triffid, nice to see high end kit being used to the full.👍

That single 60 sec sub is indeed a sight to behold. Leaving aside, if I may, your considerable processing skills, how much further can the sensor technology take AP I wonder?

Steve

Its an amazing camera

I felt the original needed some H-alpha so I grabbed 30mins worth to lift the background. So this rendition has 10x180s added.

688936691_M20TheTriffidNebulawithHa.thumb.jpg.9086a2fc694ab172ea27b9d207a4e390.jpg

Edited by peter shah
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, peter shah said:

Well, I might need some help to pick up my jaw off the floor, that is truly amazing. 😍😍

Emil

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mackiedlm said:

Another stunning image Peter. I'd never really noticed the peaks and columns in the lower part but they jump out in this image. Really super.

Thank you I have done some work to the core detail on this rendition best seen at full res....I felt it was a little plastic in the original when viewed closely.

55 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Oh, now that really is something and, as ever, the processing is totally invisible. A perfect image really leaves nothing more to say!

Olly

Olly, what a complement .... Thank you

20 minutes ago, emyliano2000 said:

Well, I might need some help to pick up my jaw off the floor, that is truly amazing. 😍😍

Emil

Thank you Emil....I cant say I'm not pleased with it ....I have wanted to get a nice one of the Triffid for a few years

Edited by peter shah

14 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

Superb Peter. 👍

It was well worth that extra 30 mins of Ha, it's made the background really pop!

Thank you...I'm glad I did....I actually was doing a couple of hours of Ha ...but just couldn't wait...

• Like 1