Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky Watcher Evostar 150ED Pro

Hi Everyone, I would just like to thank Steve and everyone else at FLO for the 5 weeks of the very best personal service.

When my brand new Evostar 150 ED arrived in it's more that adequate packing, (they have certainly beefed that up from those early deliveries) I was one happy bunny unfortunately the supplied Clamp Rings just didn't hold the tube in place, actually they hardly gripped the tube at all.

After what seemed like a marathon we finally got there and now the scope is sat on my Altair Sabre Mount as steady as a rock, we just need the wind to drop and for those rather persistent clouds to move away.

Hopefully for the coming new moon.

Thanks again to all in Team FLO.

Regards Rob.

Edited by Soligor Rob
spelling
  • Like 6

Hello. I’m lucky to have the same scope. The standard tube rings aren’t the best. 
I went with a pair of Primaluce CNC rings. 
Good to hear your scope is ready for a few sessions. 
John 

• Like 1

Certainly Sky Watcher haven't done themselves any favours with the Clamp Rings on the 150ED, whilst the rings on my Explorer 150PDS are a perfect fit and much more sturdy.

Still all sorted now and just waiting to get it set up in the garden and enjoy the view, what are the chances of a clear sky tonight or tomorrow so see the new moon, fingers crossed.

19 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. I’m lucky to have the same scope. The standard tube rings aren’t the best. 
I went with a pair of Primaluce CNC rings. 
Good to hear your scope is ready for a few sessions. 
John 

Hi John, nice looking rings the Primaluce, what size did you buy? 

21 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

My 150ED is mounted on my 16" SCT as a finder/general purpose refractor.  I made my own rear adjustable ring for its alignment so no slippage issue.   🙂

The thought of a 6" refractor as a finder did make me smile, then again I guess it is when you consider the focal length of the 16" SCT!

• Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 18:46, Soligor Rob said:

Hi Everyone, I would just like to thank Steve and everyone else at FLO for the 5 weeks of the very best personal service.

When my brand new Evostar 150 ED arrived in it's more that adequate packing, (they have certainly beefed that up from those early deliveries) I was one happy bunny unfortunately the supplied Clamp Rings just didn't hold the tube in place, actually they hardly gripped the tube at all.

After what seemed like a marathon we finally got there and now the scope is sat on my Altair Sabre Mount as steady as a rock, we just need the wind to drop and for those rather persistent clouds to move away.

Hopefully for the coming new moon.

Thanks again to all in Team FLO.

Regards Rob.

Glad you got sorted, you were in safe hands :) Any chance of a first light report once the clouds clear off? 

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Glad you got sorted, you were in safe hands :) Any chance of a first light report once the clouds clear off? 

Hi Chris, as relative beginner I'm certain a report from me will be nowhere near as precise as (I think it was John's account) but I will make comparisons against my other scopes, and how I get along with it.

It does sit nicely on the Altair Sabre Mount, I have already made some changes at the focus end, fitting the Baader Click Lock adaptor and a William Optic's 2" Dielectric Diagonal.

Just waiting now for the Baader Morpheus eye pieces to become available, phew this is nearly a big as drain on my wallet as my Bikes.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Chris said:

The thought of a 6" refractor as a finder did make me smile, then again I guess it is when you consider the focal length of the 16" SCT!

In actual fact Chris,  Peter doesn't  like to admit it, but its the SC that's the finder for the refractor.  Except for the rare conditions when the SC can be used to its full capacity, the refractor will  show better lunar and planetary views anyway 😄.

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

My 150ED is mounted on my 16" SCT as a finder/general purpose refractor.  I made my own rear adjustable ring for its alignment so no slippage issue.   🙂

Hello Peter. Really think the 150 finder on the SCT is just epic. Really need to look to paying the centre a visit after lockdown is eased yet again. 
john 

49 minutes ago, Soligor Rob said:

Hi John, nice looking rings the Primaluce, what size did you buy? 

Rob. I got a pair of these 2nd hand but in immaculate condition from a fellow SGL member. Bit pricey brand new. The scope deserves them IMHO 

John

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/primaluce-lab/primaluce-lab-155mm-plus-tube-rings-takahashi-fs-152-and-toa-130.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello Peter. Really think the 150 finder on the SCT is just epic. Really need to look to paying the centre a visit after lockdown is eased yet again. 
john 

Rob. I got a pair of these 2nd hand but in immaculate condition from a fellow SGL member. Bit pricey brand new. The scope deserves them IMHO 

John

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/primaluce-lab/primaluce-lab-155mm-plus-tube-rings-takahashi-fs-152-and-toa-130.html

John, they certainly look the part, I've fitted a set of the More-Blue Rings,  I notice you have fitted the Moonlite focuser how does that compare with the standard one, have to say mine has a nice overall positive feel.

2 minutes ago, Soligor Rob said:

John, they certainly look the part, I've fitted a set of the More-Blue Rings,  I notice you have fitted the Moonlite focuser how does that compare with the standard one, have to say mine has a nice overall positive feel.

Rob. Those rings look nice. Not seen that brand at FLO till now. 
The Moonlite was already in my possession from a previous frac. Once I got a flange via Rother Valley optics the fitting was straightforward. Had to be as I’m wary of messing like this with my gear. Anyhow. It’s nice once fitted but to be fair the supplied focuser was not shabby. 
Was a case of - I have the Moonlite so it had to be done. 
Enjoyvthe scope. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Never thort I’d own a quality 6 in frac. Weight and size are not an issue with this scope. 
Couple of pics of yours on the Sabre would be good to see. 
John 

11 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Rob. Those rings look nice. Not seen that brand at FLO till now. 
The Moonlite was already in my possession from a previous frac. Once I got a flange via Rother Valley optics the fitting was straightforward. Had to be as I’m wary of messing like this with my gear. Anyhow. It’s nice once fitted but to be fair the supplied focuser was not shabby. 
Was a case of - I have the Moonlite so it had to be done. 
Enjoyvthe scope. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Never thort I’d own a quality 6 in frac. Weight and size are not an issue with this scope. 
Couple of pics of yours on the Sabre would be good to see. 
John 

Ok John here is the new set-up, have to say it is all very nicely balanced and not too much of a faff to assemble.

scopes1.jpg

scopes2.jpg

scopes3.jpg

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Soligor Rob said:

Ok John here is the new set-up, have to say it is all very nicely balanced and not too much of a faff to assemble.

scopes1.jpg

scopes2.jpg

scopes3.jpg

Very nice indeed Rob. Double set up lookin good. Hopefully some luna and maybe Mercury this coming week if the weather plays ball. I’m hoping the same. 
John 

Nice set up!

My SW 150ED is very good; excellent value for money. I agree the standard tube rings are poor. One of mine definitely doesn't grip tight; I got the upgraded SW ring set to address this, but its a pricey fix and I feel SW let themselves down with the stock irings. Still, its the views that count and visually I think its a very good telescope. Hope you get some clear skies soon and I look forward to reading your first light report :).

The irony is that I have been buying Skywatcher tube rings for years for my DIY refractors. :thumbsup:
It seems odd that they can't match a pair of rings to their own instruments. :blink:

5 hours ago, Soligor Rob said:

scopes1.jpg

scopes2.jpg

scopes3.jpg

Whoa! those two beauties look mighty fine on that mount! the 150ED is a yard canon.

6 hours ago, Chris said:

The "finder" description" was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment although the SCT did previously have a 150mm F5 Skywatcher finder for several years.  In truth, the SCT is mounted on a massive professional standard equatorial that easily handles both.  Many years ago, when my 30" Dobsonian was installed in the main dome it piggy backed a 220mm F12.5 achromat, both now have their own observatories.    🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

One extra layer of felt and the grip issue is solved.    🙂

Indeed. What doesn't work is closed cell, camping mattress foam.
I tried it when I had a big gap in sizes and the OTA constantly slid downwards.
Plywood packing rings, inside Skywatcher rings, have worked for years on my 7".
Skywatcher didn't do a suitable size for 200mm [8"] tubing. They jump in size from 182-235mm. Odd.

16 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

One extra layer of felt and the grip issue is solved.    🙂

I would be more inclined towards Sky Watcher getting the rings the right size to adequately grip the scope at the design stage considering this is an £1800 scope and not some Aldi or Toys are us item.

As I said my explorer tube rings are spot on so there is no reason why they can't get it right on a scope costing 5 times more.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Soligor Rob said:

I would be more inclined towards Sky Watcher getting the rings the right size to adequately grip the scope at the design stage considering this is an £1800 scope and not some Aldi or Toys are us item.

As I said my explorer tube rings are spot on so there is no reason why they can't get it right on a scope costing 5 times more.

Couldn't agree more, you would have thought that someone at the point of manufacture would have tried one out!     🤔