Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why do I need a telescope anyway?

Ok. I have been lurking here a long time now although my time has not been misspent and I have researched widely.   I am 61 with a long standing interest in ‘all things astral’ but have never owned a telescope.  Money is not an issue. IF I go down the telescopical rabbit hole then it is my choice and my wife will have no issue even if she does not share the potential passion.  The spanner she has put in MY works is that having just declared a desire to purchase VERY soon, she has responded with the usual “ do what you like dear” but then also added, “ what do you want to look at?”.  Having given her a brief resume of my intentions and what I would like to see for starters at least, she responds with, “ well that is very nice but surely you can see ALL these things in much better clarity etc etc if you go online on our 27” mac and look there. . ?  Is all this not online these days? “.       Well,  that certainly took the wind out of my sails.   Can she be that right?  Help required please.  😉😂😇. Sitting out in the cold and dark with a few beers may not cut the mustard here guys.!  Does she have a point? 

Edited by Starslayer
Typos
  • Like 1

• Starslayer changed the title to Why do I need a telescope anyway?

It is a point that you can just look online at any number of pictures, but for me most of the fun is seeing it with your own eyes, or for astrophotography, taking a picture in your garden with your own equipment and hard work.

I personally get more excited with seeing the GRS on Jupiter, Saturn's rings or craters on the moon in my own garden than looking at anything done with a multi billion pound space telescope run by hundreds of people. I suppose I think of it as "good honest work" by learning how telescopes work, setting everything up correctly and the endless pit of complexity that is astrophotography to produce something over time myself than an quick evening on google images.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

Is all this not online these days? “.

A very astute observation and one worth consideration!

I don't think I can present a convincing answer. Indeed, I have an interest in meteorology and weather satellite imagery. 25/30 years ago I had my own satellite receiving equipment to access the NOAA polar orbiting weather sats. Then along came the internet and I found a whole world of imagery becoming available. Better quality and much less fuss. I stopped receiving imagery directly.

Much of what you'll see with your own eye through any telescope will be inferior in appearance to images from either your own camera or the internet. 

All I would say is that observing is a skill, much like birding. You hone that skill and see more, you appreciate more and its live!

Looking at a Globular star cluster in decent telescope will show you a sparkling and shimmering ball of light. No still image can replicate that. No still image will invoke the sense of achievement in that view. Observing with your own eyes builds memories, fond memories and tangible experiences that viewing images doesn't build.

Then you get into imaging and your life spirals out of control.... :)

• Haha 2

The fact you can see it with your own eyes is an amazing feeling. I am new in the hobby and I am loving every moment of it. I love searching the targets in the sky and observing them. I love the little fuzzy lights that i know have travelled thousands or millions of years for me to see, you see things in the past. BUT be aware, if you are after coloured nebulas as you see in astro photos then you will be disappointed. This link here is pretty spot on on how things will look. If you think that' not what you want then astrophotography might be an alternative option. I love the grey fuzzy targets. Have a look at the observing reports in this forum and you will see how we all get excited with our observations. Before you buy a telescope, it is worth looking to see if there is an astronomy club where you are and take a look on how things appear. Others in this forum would suggest binoculars (I have never tried them).

I have found this link quite useful when I plan things and what I may expect to see; these are sketches which gives you a true feeling on things during visual observation. They are pretty spot on.

http://www.deepskywatch.com/messier-dso-sketches.html

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CloudMagnet said:

It is a point that you can just look online at any number of pictures, but for me most of the fun is seeing it with your own eyes, or for astrophotography, taking a picture in your garden with your own equipment and hard work.

I personally get more excited with seeing the GRS on Jupiter, Saturn's rings or craters on the moon in my own garden than looking at anything done with a multi billion pound space telescope run by hundreds of people. I suppose I think of it as "good honest work" by learning how telescopes work, setting everything up correctly and the endless pit of complexity that is astrophotography to produce something over time myself than an quick evening on google images.

Appreciated.  I am far away from an astrophotography desire although a quick iPhone fix may tempt me for more non deep things.  I can however see the point in what I see at ThAT point in time is what I see THEN and nobody can take that away.   Also appreciate the technical set up side issue but again, I would opt for a ‘goto’ option and easy align set up as well.  The main point would be to understand what the auto options have done for me and how.  Then enjoy the results. 

• Like 1

Like yourself, I've always had an interest in everything to do with space. I'm 43 now and since I can remember I've always wanted a telescope. I finally got one last year after a few months of looking around and deciding what I wanted to actually do with the 'telescope'.

Having seen lots of great images people take, I decided I wanted to have a go at Astrophotography and have since got myself a great little set up that gives me some fantastic images. Plenty of kit for me to learn with before I eventually upgrade or add more to my arsenal.

Strangely though, to this day, I still have never looked through a telescope at the stars. I don't know why but I've not felt the need to. I'm quite happy collecting data and creating images that continue to amaze me every time.

This is my current image I'm working on. It's a great hobby. 👍

919722113_EVN19th.thumb.jpg.65a95c3a8783fd2c662cee3e1698bb61.jpg

• Like 3

An Analogy (with tongue firmly in cheek)....

Visual Astronomy:

image.png.2680a51e4315582719f7882405ad0f23.png

Electronically enhanced visual astronomy:

image.png.8e513ef2b0c9e18cd6b507a83ff1f059.png

Astrophotography:

image.png.c34bfb763ab440606cfeb6f87b04d476.png

(puts on hard-hat and retires under rock.......)

Edited by Pixies
  • Like 6
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, Starslayer said:

Appreciated.  I am far away from an astrophotography desire although a quick iPhone fix may tempt me for more non deep things.  I can however see the point in what I see at ThAT point in time is what I see THEN and nobody can take that away.   Also appreciate the technical set up side issue but again, I would opt for a ‘goto’ option and easy align set up as well.  The main point would be to understand what the auto options have done for me and how.  Then enjoy the results. 

Yep, astrophotography started for me by holding a phone camera up to my scope lens. Never really looked back since. :D

But I recently spent a night just looking at the moon, no stressing over a fancy camera, panicing about alignments, software or triping over wires and just enjoyed the night sky. You are right by saying that no one can take that away and for once it was a case of just relaxing and taking in every little detail. The good thing about this hobby is you can make it as easy or as complex as you want, your choice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

The fact you can see it with your own eyes is an amazing feeling. I am new in the hobby and I am loving every moment of it. I love searching the targets in the sky and observing them. I love the little fuzzy lights that i know have travelled thousands or millions of years for me to see, you see things in the past. BUT be aware, if you are after coloured nebulas as you see in astro photos then you will be disappointed. This link here is pretty spot on on how things will look. If you think that' not what you want then astrophotography might be an alternative option. I love the grey fuzzy targets. Have a look at the observing reports in this forum and you will see how we all get excited with our observations. Before you buy a telescope, it is worth looking to see if there is an astronomy club where you are and take a look on how things appear. Others in this forum would suggest binoculars (I have never tried them).

I have found this link quite useful when I plan things and what I may expect to see; these are sketches which gives you a true feeling on things during visual observation. They are pretty spot on.

http://www.deepskywatch.com/messier-dso-sketches.html

Thank you. Some reading there. 

31 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

Ok. I have been lurking here a long time now although my time has not been misspent and I have researched widely.   I am 61 with a long standing interest in ‘all things astral’ but have never owned a telescope.  Money is not an issue. IF I go down the telescopical rabbit hole then it is my choice and my wife will have no issue even if she does not share the potential passion.  The spanner she has put in MY works is that having just declared a desire to purchase VERY soon, she has responded with the usual “ do what you like dear” but then also added, “ what do you want to look at?”.  Having given her a brief resume of my intentions and what I would like to see for starters at least, she responds with, “ well that is very nice but surely you can see ALL these things in much better clarity etc etc if you go online on our 27” mac and look there. . ?  Is all this not online these days? “.       Well,  that certainly took the wind out of my sails.   Can she be that right?  Help required please.  😉😂😇. Sitting out in the cold and dark with a few beers may not cut the mustard here guys.!  Does she have a point? 

Simply put, there is reality, and virtual reality; take your choice.

Guys / gurls

I am overwhelmed by the immediate replies at this time.  Wife is not well so cannot dwell now but I thank you for your replies and will go from here.  I am thinking of going down a well tested route of Celestron SE for flexibility and convenience (weight /

portability)  sake.  Probably a 6 as I am concerned that the 8 is too big for standard mount and not too much more  efficient for what I want to look at.  Accessories needed to - powerbanks etc.   

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jamgood said:

Like yourself, I've always had an interest in everything to do with space. I'm 43 now and since I can remember I've always wanted a telescope. I finally got one last year after a few months of looking around and deciding what I wanted to actually do with the 'telescope'.

Having seen lots of great images people take, I decided I wanted to have a go at Astrophotography and have since got myself a great little set up that gives me some fantastic images. Plenty of kit for me to learn with before I eventually upgrade or add more to my arsenal.

Strangely though, to this day, I still have never looked through a telescope at the stars. I don't know why but I've not felt the need to. I'm quite happy collecting data and creating images that continue to amaze me every time.

This is my current image I'm working on. It's a great hobby. 👍

919722113_EVN19th.thumb.jpg.65a95c3a8783fd2c662cee3e1698bb61.jpg

Wow.  NEVER looked through a scope?   

• Haha 1

Just now, Starslayer said:

Wow.  NEVER looked through a scope?   

Nope. I should really. I got the generic eyepiece thing with my scope but that's never been out of the box. I bought the Sky Watcher 130PDS with the intention of learning Astrophotography and I've just gone from DSLR to dedicated camera an that's it. 

The big thing that puts me off visual is my backgarden is lit up with a ridiculous amount of lights all around me and I'm in a Bortle 8 zone as well. I don't need a torch when I go out there it is that light. It really blows my mind that my little scope catch see and catch the photons that it does. I think visual out there would be a major let down.

I got my first telescope in 2017 with my only goal being to see the rings of Saturn. I now have 3 telescopes! My sister has my original telescope. For me, I find seeing these things gives me a more personal connection to them. I’ve seen countless images of the whirlpool galaxy but what I remember are the nights of dark, clear, transparent skies where I could see the spiral arms of the galaxy myself. Sure, the images show a lot more detail but what I saw with the telescope was earned. I had to find a good dark site location, I learnt how to navigate the constellations and practised my observing skills so my eye could pick up all the detail available. Astronomy is a challenging hobby. I’ve often come home elated at seeing the faintest of grey smudges in the eyepiece. Whilst visually not as impressive as what you see on the internet, I had the satisfaction that photons from galaxies hundred of millions of light years away ended their journey at my eye. Better than that, they travelled all that way and when they arrived, I knew where they’d come from. It’s not for everyone but I really do love astronomy. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:Whilst visually not as impressive as what you see on the internet, I had the satisfaction that photons from galaxies hundred of millions of light years away ended their journey at my eye. Better than that, they travelled all that way and when they arrived, I knew where they’d come from. It’s not for everyone but I really do love astronomy. 

Now THAT I find compelling and spot on.  Going back to the original

Point  of the thread, I will report back on ‘her’ observations! Thank you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Starslayer said:

Now THAT I find compelling and spot on.  Going back to the original

Point  of the thread, I will report back on ‘her’ observations! Thank you. 

You’re welcome. I look forward to the response :) 

1 hour ago, Starslayer said:

“ do what you like dear”

Every time my wife says that I can feel the cold sweat on my spine. 
Having said that, BUY YOURSELF A TELESCOPE A.S.A.P.! You’ll never regret if you start with a decent set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starslayer said:

she responds with, “ well that is very nice but surely you can see ALL these things in much better clarity etc etc if you go online

But that's not 'seeing'. When I tell someone (endlessly) that I saw M51 last night, it's because I..SAW..M51..LAST..NIGHT. Me - with my eyes!

When Darth Vader was laying on the floor of the Death Star, did he say to Luke Skywalker: "Let's have a Zoom chat". No, he said something like "let me see you with my own eyes". See - visual observing = the light side.

Edited by Pixies
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

All the above, and - the feeling that you're re-treading the steps of predecessors.
Seeing that faint smudge for the first time, yourself, in an actual telescope - is that how it felt to the eighteenth century natural philosopher who first found it?

• Like 1

What a great topic ,to see M57 with the eye for the fist time is unbelievable The rings of Saturn the same also M13 the list goes on.

I have spent hours just looking at the moon and trying to identify the many features mind blowing.

I have recently attempted astrophotography without much success.I have also been fortunate to live for some time in the Southern Hemisphere  the star fields are unbelievable the southern cross with the coal sack and the jewel box all viewed by eye along with the Magenellic clouds no photos but all still in my minds eye super hobby

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starslayer said:

surely you can see ALL these things in much better clarity etc etc if you go online

Could say that about anything really.

Want to see the Andromeda galaxy? Nah, just Google it.

How about looking for birds of paradise deep in the rainforest? Why bother, Attenborough's shown them to me already.

Sistine chapel? No point mate, got a picture right here.

There is an experience associated with viewing or imaging something for yourself, which makes the whole thing much more fun/rewarding/enjoyable/whatever than just looking it up online.

• Like 8

If online was the solution then you don't really have to go to a football game, an art gallery, a cinema,  a concert, no need to see the Roman Coliseum, Eiffel tower, or Big Ben in person. It will be far less expensive to just stay home as the world is at our fingertips.

• Like 3

If money is not an issue purchase a manor in the darkest possible sky bortle 4 maximum, hire someone to build an observatory, buy the most expensive telescope and camera equipment possible in your country and make money by allowing people to come and view the objects through your scope at a fee. seeing things yourself and being able to chose which object you want to see is great!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Starslayer said:

Can she be that right?  Help required please.  😉😂😇. Sitting out in the cold  Does she have a point?

What things might you go looking at on your 27"mac, that you may want to see in a 'scope ?

Edited by Corncrake

I just find it relaxing to get outdoors, under the stars once in a while, and just wander around the sky with a scope (or two).  I know roughly where the "good stuff" is and take another look at them once in a while; but really, I just need to unwind and get away without ever having to go more than a few feet from my back door.  I also enjoy comparing equipment being an engineer by education and practice.  It can be a fairly technical hobby and dovetails nicely.

My wife also likes her "me time" while I'm outside not bugging her.  If I'm having a poor observing night due to weather or bugs and come in early, she acts rather disappointed that I'm done so soon.

Some people get away by camping, hiking, horse back riding, riding bikes (motorized or not), 4-wheeling, boating, etc.  I do it without much advance planning or travel.  Sure, there are those who pack up everything and travel to dark site or star parties on a regular basis, but that's not why I got into astronomy.  I can travel thousands to millions of light years without ever setting foot outside my backyard.  Merely looking at internet images isn't remotely the same.  I read APOD daily, but that hardly diminishes my desire to look directly at the heavens above us.

• Like 6