NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

toilet tents

powerlord

So.. as we have a dry week forecast, with maybe 2 or 3 seeable nights, it'd be nice to leave my kit out. I've done that a few times with just the mount, covered in a mylar (body warm) sheet, but I was thinking one of these would be sort of ideal.. might need to remove the base so I can pop it on:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384104097603?hash=item596e636743:g:mB4AAOSwlIZgfVnc

What do folk think ? Anyone got another cheap and simple solution for leaving kit out, hidden during day,  out of sunlight and safe from  the odd shower ?

stu

• Like 1

I did see those, but they are not 15 quid. plus, seems with something like the tent, you've got a bit more latitude for things like leaving my battery pack, etc outside too was my thinking - i.e. stuff that I usually have on the ground under the tripod. I mean bottom line is they're 15 squid, so I'll get one and post some pics of the results.

stu

55 minutes ago, powerlord said:

So.. as we have a dry week forecast, with maybe 2 or 3 seeable nights, it'd be nice to leave my kit out. I've done that a few times with just the mount, covered in a mylar (body warm) sheet, but I was thinking one of these would be sort of ideal.. might need to remove the base so I can pop it on:

What do folk think ? Anyone got another cheap and simple solution for leaving kit out, hidden during day,  out of sunlight and safe from  the odd shower ?

stu

I don't think I've ever seen one of these things on a campsite with a sewn in base, so you probably wouldn't need to cut anything off !

However,  they do wobble mightily if not securely guyed out (as well as pegged down in the corners) , which might mean some chance of tripping over the guys/pegs. Beware of standing it over damp grass on a day that gets hot too, the inside will get warm and very humid, which I'd imagine is not ideal. Insects just love the insides of tents too, especially yellow or orange coloured ones ...

Heather

I have used various BBQ and similar covers from garden centres. Quite tough and you can put a bungee round. Your onesy looks good, can you peg it down against wind? 

I have a mount and pier that stays out virtually all year under a 365 cover. Expensive but needs to be good for the risk. 10+ yrs so far so good. Agree with Clanger about rising damp and heat, needs to vent somewhere?

yeh it's got pegs, and it will be sitting on concrete base circle anyway (I'll peg it out with bungies to the grass. I ordered a green one, so could blend in reasonably.

Of course like all these pop-ups, there's the 'blackbelt kata' you need to learn to 'pop' it back down. 🤪

And if it's not that shower proof, a spray coat of waterproofing should do it. Obviously I'd being the scope, cameras  in, - but a bit of humidity isn't going to do a mount or asiair, etc any harm once in a while. I'm beginning to get a nervous twitch when I hear 'polar alignment'.. so anything that can make that need doing less (or adjusting less at least) has got to be a good thing.

The other thing I plan to do is carefully drill little indents into my circular patio where the tripod legs go (2" stainless steel EQ6 tripod). that will make it easier to position it exaclty the same place each time. just need to get em in the right place!

stu

Thanks for the reminder - I bought one of that exact item in June last year.

Just went and found it in the garage, opened it up and yep it has a base and won't cover the width of the mount legs.  Now I see two solutions 1)I won't use it or 2)I'll use it but now have justification to put a pier in the garden.

Option2 it is then - and easier to "do and ask forgiveness" than get planning permission from the other half :)

haha, fair enough. I've been using my tripod unextended, and I reckon that should fit just about. But yeh, extended - not way.

"what pier ? you mean the high tech designer bird perch I've put in the garden ?"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

At starparties, toilet tents are the most common form of scope covering/protection used. It is also a good idea to put a plastic sheet over the whole  scope and mount set up  as well as the tent just incase there are any leaks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I can think of many reasons for not making toilet tents with sewn-in groundsheets, none of them likely to go down well with the moderators! 🤣

Olly

Now you’re just taking the #@£% Olly.

🤣

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 2

On 26/04/2021 at 19:16, powerlord said:

stu

I used these fairly successfully for several years when you know that the weather’s not going to be too bad i.e. they are OK for showers or light rains - with a towel over the OTA and light breezes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iapa said:

Do not secure the shower tent to the tripod legs.

Don’t ask, just don’t do it.

Having made the first ever solo flight by Marquee across Kinder Scout I can easily follow your line of thought...

Olly

• Haha 1

I have a similar one and it is a waste of space. Not waterproof, had to sever the strap holding the door section together at the bottom so it could be slid over the scope without lifting it into the air, the poles are an art form to put together oh and it is liable to blow away in the slightest of breezes despite been guyed down. So I sacked it.

I now use a Telegizmo telescope cover directly on the scope mount with an outdoor waterproof cover intended for covering stacks of chairs on top. Then the poop tent, just as another cover without its frame, is put on top of the whole lot simply to capture bird droppings. A bungy cord around the middle holds it in place.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 2

I have one of those absolutely murder to get back into the round shape then try and get it in the bag. Mines is in the shed now folded flat down the side of my stacking shelf I get it out every now and again cover my kit if there is a chance of a shower when I am set up. There is no groundsheet fitted so damp air can still rise inside.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been considering one of these for quite awhile, but haven't bought one.  Many people complain that the pop-ups are difficult to collapse, contrary to the manufacturers' claims, so I'd probably get one with poles that sets up like a regular tent.

My other concern is the amount of floor space inside since I'd also want to use it for blocking stray light.  Not sure how well it would work if I had to sit inside with the end of my OTA sticking out of it.  But if one goes on sale locally, I might buy one just to try one out.

Edited by jjohnson3803

6 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Not sure how well it would work if I had to sit inside with the end of my OTA sticking out of it.  But if one goes on sale locally, I might buy one just to try one out.

I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing .... must have watched too many carry on films in childhood ... not sure if this line would work best for Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey or Sid James (with a yuk yuk yuk laugh added )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2