Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spring Forward

The clocks go forward tonight.  For the first time ever, i find myself a bit ambivalent about the change.  For many years as an angler, cyclist and all the other outdoor things I do, I've always looked forward to  BST.  Now that I have a telescope, I think I will miss the dark nights!

I see from a book I have, that much of june/july will be a  washout due to twilight, which is a shame because at least then it's warm enough to be out  :)

So, what's the truth?  Do  I  still manage to observe, even if it mean being up waayyy past Mrs Slog's bedtime, how difficult will it get?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Capt Slog said:

I see from a book I have,     a  washout

May I humbly (!) suggest you are reading the wrong book ? :)
Still plenty to observe.

Who remembers when clocks had hands ? I made one with two hour hands - one was white and the other black, sometimes I adjusted them to coincide.

swmbo does not mind what time I observe.

Edited by Corncrake

1 hour ago, Capt Slog said:

The clocks go forward tonight.  For the first time ever, i find myself a bit ambivalent about the change.  For many years as an angler, cyclist and all the other outdoor things I do, I've always looked forward to  BST.  Now that I have a telescope, I think I will miss the dark nights!

Couldn't agree more, but I'll just have to stay up past my bedtime and welcome the season of general tiredness at work 😴 plus I've got the milky way imaging, Jupiter and Saturn planned for this summer early autumn 

Edited by LeeHore7

Depends on your latitude, really. Up here, astronomical darkness end in May and there no actual nautical darkness during June and July.

image.png.b43f7d35b6562f1739d79c2d7f7561d1.png

And that's just southern Scotland. 

What we need is another bright comet to keep us occupied during the summer months.!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Depends on your latitude, really. Up here, astronomical darkness end in May and there no actual nautical darkness during June and July.

image.png.b43f7d35b6562f1739d79c2d7f7561d1.png

And that's just southern Scotland. 

What we need is another bright comet to keep us occupied during the summer months.!

That's the diagram I've seen in my book.  "2021 Guide to the Night's Sky"  (I think)  Published by Collins, 'written' by the Royal Greenwich Observatory.

I observe less in the summer because of the later onset of darkness (partially due to DST) and the onslaught of mosquitos, heat, and humidity.

We switched to DST two weeks ago.  It affected me less this year because I've been sleeping in while working from home because I don't have that hour commute into work every day.

2 minutes ago, Capt Slog said:

That's the diagram I've seen in my book.  "2021 Guide to the Night's Sky"  (I think)  Published by Collins, 'written' by the Royal Greenwich Observatory.

You can get your local one by clicking on 'Annual darkness' on the Clear Outside website.

Summer is a marvellous time for astronomy, even from the UK. Yes, it doesn’t get dark completely, but that applies to most of us all year round due to light pollution. There is nothing like standing under the summer milkyway without freezing temperatures. So many clusters and bright nebulae in Cygnus, Lyra et al. On top of that, the gas giants will be on show, albeit low above the horizon, but hey - seeing Jupiter while in t-shirt is not bad at all, even if it’s a bit washed out (Jupiter - not the t-shirt)...

I am looking forward to those nights already!

Frank

• Like 2

On 28/03/2021 at 02:22, Steve Clay said:

Start solar observing. Can't beat doing astronomy in shorts and t-shirt. 

Steve

Although I can't stand the heat for longer than 20 to 30 minutes during Texas summers.  I start sweating all over my equipment as well.  I don't know how hot it gets in the UK during July, for instance, but we average 98 degrees F (37 C) for highs here.  I sometimes run a box fan across me to draw off some heat.

4 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Although I can't stand the heat for longer than 20 to 30 minutes during Texas summers.  I start sweating all over my equipment as well.  I don't know how hot it gets in the UK during July, for instance, but we average 98 degrees F (37 C) for highs here.  I sometimes run a box fan across me to draw off some heat.

I used to live in Nevada so know exactly what you mean. No such problem here in the UK

• Like 1

It very rarely gets over 35C in the UK and it doesn’t usually stay hot for more than a few days. The hottest ever July day was 38.7C.

Going to be a very pleasant 22C here tomorrow. 🙂

Edited by johninderby

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It very rarely gets over 35C in the UK and it doesn’t usually stay hot for more than a few days. The hottest ever July day was 38.7C.

Going to be a very pleasant 22C here tomorrow. 🙂

Unless you live in the North East of England which is usually 10 deg less than the rest of the UK 🤣

3 minutes ago, callisto said:

Unless you live in the North East of England which is usually 10 deg less than the rest of the UK 🤣

Or in the Outer Hebrides where it can reach 15C in mid summer😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, callisto said:

Yeah, but they only put something on over their t-shirts there when it's so cold that your tongue sticks to a lamppost if you lick it.

James

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Yeah, but they only put something on over their t-shirts there when it's so cold that your tongue sticks to a lamppost if you lick it.

James

Haha, that's called the t-shirt test!