Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

Had a quick look tonight in the ST80. Definitely brighter than last time.  Same as HD220057, I'd say. So mag 6.9

Ooops ! - I forgot to look at the nova this evening :rolleyes2:

Glad someone gave it a visit :thumbright:

• Like 2

Just had a quick look as I was packing up giving my new carbon tube its collimation outing and firstish light. I made it equal to HD 220057 which is mag 6.9, and slightly dimmer than its close companion HD 220819 which is 6.6 . So my verdict tonight 6.9

It only needs to improve a little as Luna recedes, it might even become naked eye for me out here fingers crossed 🤞 

M

• Like 4

My first view of this for a long time, glad its still visible and I can still find it despite a bit of rotation! I have it between 220819 and 220057 but closer to the former so, I’ll say mag 6.7.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pixies said:

Quick check last night. Mag 6.6 for me - equal to HD220819 

Agree, also estimated it at mag 6.6 as at 23 July 21:47 UT.

Edited by davhei
  • Like 2

I've also realized that the parallelogram of stars including 4 Cas, which I use as a star-hop aid, is part of the asterism called "The Airplane". Those four stars, plus 2 or 3 just above it (as seen from 51 degrees N), looks just like an aeroplane turning towards you to land.

• Like 2

Lots of clouds around here, tonight. I just had a quick look in the bins even though the sky isn't particularly dark yet, but the Nova looks discernably brighter than 2 nights ago.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get the scope on it later, but if you have clear skies tonight, definitely give it a shot.

• Like 1

Managed to get a quick look in the ST80.

It's brighter now, than HD220819 (Mag 6.6) but dimmer than HR8894. The latter is a variable star though - AAVSO currently has it at Mag 5.5, but I can't find any recent observations.

There aren't a lot of nearby stars with magnitude around 5.5 -> 6.0. 4-Cas is mag 5.0

I'm going to stick my neck out and say the nova is around mag 6.0. I'd be grateful for any comments from more experienced observers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Managed to get a quick look in the ST80.

It's brighter now, than HD220819 (Mag 6.6) but dimmer than HR8894. The latter is a variable star though - AAVSO currently has it at Mag 5.5, but I can't find any recent observations.

There aren't a lot of nearby stars with magnitude around 5.5 -> 6.0. 4-Cas is mag 5.0

I'm going to stick my neck out and say the nova is around mag 6.0. I'd be grateful for any comments from more experienced observers.

Nice report :thumbright:

I'd love to supply one myself but I'm heavily clouded out tonight :rolleyes2:

Your neck is very safe ! :smiley:

Just in from a brief cloud-terminated viewing, my first for quite a while,  of nova Cas and I think I have missed its latest outburst because I have it similar to HIP 115198 (HD 220057)  mag6.9(-Stellarium)

?  :(

Edited by Malpi12
  • Like 1

Later ! :-
The clouds parted again so I was able to play with my dslr with 50mm lens

nCas1s.jpg.f60bc1df8c73dab6e146868045113a54.jpg

the crop , arrow = n Cas, comparisons are marked with lines, see below

nCas2as.jpg.2cd79b5a6b8c08d111ae273a9c51c10e.jpg
 crop seleted comparison stars and import to ImageJ , do  profile

nCas29JlyB.jpg.a199f951eeaa263e64d630b3a82b6240.jpg

yep, mag 7 or a bit less :( [magnitudes quoted from Stellarium]

Edited by Malpi12
  • Like 1

Yep. Even just with the binos, the difference is marked.

On Monday night, the nova was clearly brighter than nearby HD220819  (HIP 115691), the first time I'd seen it that bright. I missed the previous big outburst.

But on Wednesday night (yesterday) it was back to being obviously dimmer, and looking at the AAVSO graph, it's taken a dive:

image.thumb.png.083c82fa880f2c4a9189a6c8ea62c808.png

It's fascinating stuff. Are novas normally this 'exciting'? I've put the word in single quotes, as my son refuses to accept this is anything but! :( 

Really much dimmer tonight around midnight.  About the same as SAO 20606 in my estimation through my Zeiss 15x56 on a lovely clear 21.6 night. SAO 20606 is the bright star in/on M52, and apparently is a variable 8.3-10.6. Making the nova at brightest 8.3 perhaps dimmer.

Such a lovely clear night though I can almost forgive the Nova!

M

• Like 1