Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

Darker @Stu, you must have got quite a long way south to escape the ever present twilight?!

Peter

I was actually ‘ooop Norf’, well, Bakewell in Derbyshire to be precise. Skies much better than home, it’s so nice to actually be able to see objects like M13 and M27 in the finderscope! Unheard of back home. Even managed M51 in the 4”, twin cores and visible haloes surrounding them, nice.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Tonight, for me, with my usual 15x56 Zeiss, impossible to separate in brightness from HD220167, so 7.1-7.2 by my estimation.

M

Had a quick look with my 12 inch dob earlier. Same for estimate for me.

It's still very much "with us" isn't it ?

Edited by John
  • Like 3

SGL version here. My trend line is looking fairly useless, so I will likely abandon it in favour of just the scatter graph. I don’t think the ‘join the dots’ line helps much?

62A0EA56-A3B9-4BA6-913E-0EE184C31625.png

7125EE34-AC88-449E-8902-7583DE4F5F93.png

9FEF1124-3F60-4E37-AB24-FE25C8EE5263.png

• Like 6

No fair… maybe need some nurbs or Mr Chebyshev….

Plotting the whole light curve, looks like some subtle little lumps may have occurred, regular measurements are definitely important.

Peter

24 minutes ago, PeterW said:

No fair… maybe need some nurbs or Mr Chebyshev….

Plotting the whole light curve, looks like some subtle little lumps may have occurred, regular measurements are definitely important.

Peter

Yes, we are definitely ‘gappier’ than Jeremy’s data. Fewer people and poor weather I guess.

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, we are definitely ‘gappier’ than Jeremy’s data. Fewer people and poor weather I guess.

Also the very bright summer sky is making it more difficult to estimate magnitude, although I did get a reasonable value of 7.1 last night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

SGL version here. My trend line is looking fairly useless, so I will likely abandon it in favour of just the scatter graph. I don’t think the ‘join the dots’ line helps much?

62A0EA56-A3B9-4BA6-913E-0EE184C31625.png

7125EE34-AC88-449E-8902-7583DE4F5F93.png

9FEF1124-3F60-4E37-AB24-FE25C8EE5263.png

Plot looks good @Stu👍🏻
Shows Rhea recent brightening trend.

I prefer your third plot without lines.

• Thanks 1

Clear night and another brightness estimate data point from me, this time using a 102mm refractor at 28x magnification. I feel that the nova is really quite close to the brightness of the star HD 220057 which is magnitude 6.9. So I'd say mag 7.0 for the nova ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same brightness to me tonight as HD 220057, making it 6.94-7 I reckon. Zeiss 15x56 bins.

Also discovered a top tip. With these fancy eyepieces which have both 2” and 1.25” nose pieces, it really helps to remove the 1.25” end-cap to be able to see things. Cost me about 10 mins tonight 🙄 trying to work out why I couldn’t see anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Also discovered a top tip. With these fancy eyepieces which have both 2” and 1.25” nose pieces, it really helps to remove the 1.25” end-cap to be able to see things. Cost me about 10 mins tonight 🙄 trying to work out why I couldn’t see anything....

I've done that more than once with an Ethos eyepiece......... :rolleyes2:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

Same brightness to me tonight as HD 220057, making it 6.94-7 I reckon. Zeiss 15x56 bins.

Also discovered a top tip. With these fancy eyepieces which have both 2” and 1.25” nose pieces, it really helps to remove the 1.25” end-cap to be able to see things. Cost me about 10 mins tonight 🙄 trying to work out why I couldn’t see anything.

🤣🤣 been there, done that, felt silly 😜 😜

• Haha 3

Clearly the white dwarf is still busy accreting material from it's larger companion.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/Making_a_Nova.jpg

Hopefully I'll get another look this evening.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

100mm refractor at 37.5x. The Nova seems to lie somewhere between the stars HD 220057 and HD 220819 in brightness tonight. Those are listed as magnitude 6.9 and 6.6 respectively so I'll go for magnitude 6.75 for the nova :smiley:

• Like 5