Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi Everyone...

Allanto

Hi Everyone,

New to this community and new to astronomy - looking forward to learning lots, and getting all the kit 😁 - have scope (Tecnosky 102/700 f7) and tripod (Berlebach UNI 18), but cannot choose a mount - too many options, but enjoying all the research 🤣

Tim

• Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 11:50, Allanto said:

Hi Everyone,

New to this community and new to astronomy - looking forward to learning lots, and getting all the kit 😁 - have scope (Tecnosky 102/700 f7) and tripod (Berlebach UNI 18), but cannot choose a mount - too many options, but enjoying all the research 🤣

Tim

Rule1 of astro kit : there are always too many options 🙂

Welcome

Heather

On 18/03/2021 at 06:50, Allanto said:

Hi Everyone,

Tim

I must say that you are unusual in that you are going about this the right way. Most of us, myself included, go to a seller's website, either a manufacturer or a retailer, and buy "a telescope" getting - of course, an optical tube, glassware, mount, and tripod.  I mean, what else would one do? Well... When I first started in this hobby about six years ago, being a writer, I sent some articles to the local club magazine and the editor assigned me to interview several of the club stalwarts to capture their words of wisdom. The second or third one was a engineer who spoke of shopping separately for the telescope, the mount, and the tripod. 

Let us know how it all comes together. ... Oh... well... oculars ("eyepieces") a totally different engagement. You will want a range of those and a Barlow. The common ones (Ploessl) are 52  degrees field of view, but others are out there to be had.

On 19/03/2021 at 23:08, mikemarotta said:

I must say that you are unusual in that you are going about this the right way. Most of us, myself included, go to a seller's website, either a manufacturer or a retailer, and buy "a telescope" getting - of course, an optical tube, glassware, mount, and tripod.  I mean, what else would one do? Well... When I first started in this hobby about six years ago, being a writer, I sent some articles to the local club magazine and the editor assigned me to interview several of the club stalwarts to capture their words of wisdom. The second or third one was a engineer who spoke of shopping separately for the telescope, the mount, and the tripod. 

Let us know how it all comes together. ... Oh... well... oculars ("eyepieces") a totally different engagement. You will want a range of those and a Barlow. The common ones (Ploessl) are 52  degrees field of view, but others are out there to be had.

Hi Mike

Thanks for you reply. So - the starter kit is almost complete.... I now have the eyepieces - BST Starguider 60 degree, 25mm, 15mm, and 5mm, and have now just ordered my mount - Rowan AZ100 with Nexus DSC - a bit on the expensive side 🤑, but I see all of the things I have purchased as being lifetime items - that's not to say I won't add a few more items of course 😆, but don't imagine I would ever want to sell any of them.

• Like 2

On 24/03/2021 at 11:38, Allanto said:

Hi Mike

BST Starguider 60 degree, 25mm, 15mm, and 5mm, and have now just ordered my mount - Rowan AZ100 with Nexus DSC - a bit on the expensive side 🤑, but ...  lifetime items ... 

Good choices. Thanks for sharing. We look forward to your reports on viewing and observing.

• 1 month later...