NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Embarrassed to post, but……

Peco4321

I fully appreciate I am amongst some amazing solar imagers here, but here goes. Whilst clearing out the shed Saturday 13th March I set up my old 3” frac and did some solar projection and managed to see a sun spot, ignore all the marks on the old plate, it was definitely there. Can anyone confirm. 

A8DE4AFC-CBF1-44C7-AC86-F85CA70BED02.jpeg

54146DE4-352F-4BE9-B915-20279664454E.jpeg

• Like 18

I remember being blown away the first time did the same with my old Meade 60mm refractor, nothing embarrassing about sharing. Thanks for posting, this brought back fond memories of my late father and I setting up the projection plate, my heart raced at the site of a few black dots on a bright disc.

• Like 1

Solar projection is rather amazing,  when i was 13 years old ; i randomly stumbled upon this with my very first telescope;  a meade 4500 reflector scope.      It actually completely changed my life, as this was the first time i had ever used a telescope;   i literally saw a burning asteroid , comet, or other space debris with fumes and ejecta coming off while it transited the sun on the paper.

I remember it like it was yesterday.    Literally had vapor trails ejecting out of it like an aircraft engine would, except it was not an airplane.  Never saw anything like it ever again since. (but wish i would!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with solar projection.

I used that method with my old 60mm refractor to show the transit of Venus to my childrens friends back in 2004. I even snapped a photo of the event I think.

The simple huygens eyepieces that came with those scopes were ideal for solar projection. Todays more complex designs would not fare too well I think :icon_scratch: