Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M45 - Pleaides Cluster LRGB with new QHY268M

SyedT

A significant number of subs were gathered during either a waxing/near full moon so I almost didn't process this image, but I really wanted to have at least one complete image of M45 before it disappears for the summer. It was very difficult to bring out the faint background dust in view of the gradients (which is what I really wanted to achieve), but I've given it a go. It's not as clean as I would like for it to be, I think I need more subs (but isn't that always the case?!). I have to say that the colours appear different depending on whether I look at them on my IPS monitor or laptop screen. Would appreciate any feedback with colour adjustment as I usually struggle with this.

Equipment:

Takahashi FSQ85-EDX
Takahashi EDP Flattener 1.01X for FSQ-85EDX
QHY268M
QHYCFW3-M-US
Chroma LRGB filters
Esatto 3” Robotic Microfocuser
Tecnosky 70 mm Guidescope & Lodestar X2
Avalon M-Uno
Pegasus Ultimate Powerbox
Intel NUC Mini PC

Acquisition (all @ Gain 0 & Offset 30 in High Gain Mode):

L: 125 x 180s = 375 min = 6h15min
R: 42 x 180s = 126 min = 2h3min
G: 29 x 180s = 87 min = 1h27min
B: 39 x 180s = 117 min = 1h57min

Bortle 5, SQM 19.75

2021-04-24_11-22-52.thumb.jpg.9ec1bb5b039137c8e414cebdaad19ddb.jpg

Edited by SyedT
  • Like 28

8 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Wow - one of the best renditions of M47 I have ever seen.  So much dark detail in the nebulosity - that is just lovely!  Beautifully controlled stars as well.  They have punch without overblowing the scene.

Thank you Danny, I really appreciate that. Certainly wasn't expecting anyone to say it's the best they've seen! The stars I have to credit to the Chroma filters. Even for LRGB only they are well worth investing in, as I find that they keep stars fairly tight.

3 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Beautiful!

Cheers!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Wow - one of the best renditions of M47 I have ever seen.  So much dark detail in the nebulosity - that is just lovely!  Beautifully controlled stars as well.  They have punch without overblowing the scene.

M45.... 😉

• Like 3

On 08/03/2021 at 17:54, scotty38 said:

That's a fantastic image. I must admit I've only tried once and all I seem to be able to get out of my data is stars 🙂

Thank you Scott. I admit it can be very difficult to extract the nebulosity. The 268M is a wonderful camera and its sensitivity has helped me a lot, and the FSQ85 speaks for itself in terms of star tightness and sharpness. It's well worth having another go; how much integration time were you able to get?

• Like 1

On 08/03/2021 at 17:58, Laurieast said:

Wowzers!

On 08/03/2021 at 18:32, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Cracking image!

On 08/03/2021 at 18:39, Mr Spock said:

Lovely image 👍

On 08/03/2021 at 22:00, simmo39 said:

Stunning!

Cheers all, really appreciate it! :) 

1 hour ago, SyedT said:

Thank you Scott. I admit it can be very difficult to extract the nebulosity. The 268M is a wonderful camera and its sensitivity has helped me a lot, and the FSQ85 speaks for itself in terms of star tightness and sharpness. It's well worth having another go; how much integration time were you able to get?

Hi and yep fully intend having another go, so many targets, so many clouds 🙂 All the info is on my other laptop but I probably took 30 x 180 so 90 minutes on a 294MC Pro OSC. Way less than you have, I'm in a reasonable Bortle 4 but even so way, way less data than yours so will try a lot longer given the chance......

3 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Hi and yep fully intend having another go, so many targets, so many clouds 🙂 All the info is on my other laptop but I probably took 30 x 180 so 90 minutes on a 294MC Pro OSC. Way less than you have, I'm in a reasonable Bortle 4 but even so way, way less data than yours so will try a lot longer given the chance......

Absolutely. Bortle 4 helps, but just like there's no substitute for dark skies, the same applies for integration time. I reckon once you start hitting 3 hours or so, the nebulosity will start showing up a lot more easily!

• Like 1

I had a go at this same target with my Meade series 5000 80mm triplet scope just before Xmas last year...

3 hours of lights with an SXM25c camera, EQ8 and 3 minute unguided subs..and processed in APP also cropped...

B02F1B56-F2A6-48D7-A62B-5DEB4F544591.jpeg

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...