Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar filters - double check for safety!

First of all apologies for yet another newbie post asking about solar observing (I am sure all you experts find it a bit tedious). I just want to be 100% sure that I won't fry my eyeballs!

Can I check with you the following;

1. Solar filters should be covering the aperture of the scope, not the eyepiece (in order to protect all the optics)

2. they should be the metallized kind (like Baader planetarium film). For example this

3. once securely in place, you can observe using regular eypieces with no further filters needed at the bottom end

Thanks. I just have anxieties about this!

Edited by StuartT

Yes that’s right. 👍🏻

You can add a solar continuum fiter to the eyepiece for a tiny bit more detail but not a cheap,filter for what is a small improvement.

However for use with a refrsctor only a Hershel wedge is better but more expensive.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget to cover any finder you have on the scope too. I'll leave the other answers to the experts but my understanding is you are correct. You should also check the filter EVERY time before use.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Constantly check the security of your front filter...I'm slightly paranoid about it.

With good reason. A home-assembled filter I thought was good came loose through the piston/air effect of fitting it on the end of the telescope tube, making a small gap at one edge which admitted unfiltered light. Fortunately I spotted something was wrong.

• Thanks 1

I also use a IR/UV filter which I screw into the eyepiece. Not expensive mine is SvBony. Otherwise all the advice above is sound and correct.

I mainly use a 6 inch reflector with a commercial solar filter but I add a neutral density filter to slightly darken the image

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2021 at 11:31, StuartT said:

First of all apologies for yet another newbie post asking about solar observing (I am sure all you experts find it a bit tedious). I just want to be 100% sure that I won't fry my eyeballs!

Can I check with you the following;

1. Solar filters should be covering the aperture of the scope, not the eyepiece (in order to protect all the optics)

2. they should be the metallized kind (like Baader planetarium film). For example this

3. once securely in place, you can observe using regular eypieces with no further filters needed at the bottom end

Thanks. I just have anxieties about this!

I’m another solar newbie. We had Lynn Smith from the BAA solar section do a great talk via Zoom at the local Astro society meeting recently. It’s well worth looking this up on YouTube so you can put what you see into context.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, powerlord said:

total newbie, but also made a filter.

my tip would be attach your mobile and only view with that. you can always get a new phone. eyes are a one two time deal

Solar observing is perfectly safe, provided you carefully follow the guidance provided with the kit, pretty much as outlined above. Viewing only with your phone will never show you the detail which can be seen visually, so I would always encourage people to learn how to observe safely and give it a go.

I use a refractor with Herschel wedge and binoviewers. The views under good and excellent conditions can be quite breathtaking at times, and it’s an area of astronomy I’m so pleased I got into.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I use a refractor with Herschel wedge and binoviewers. The views under good and excellent conditions can be quite breathtaking at times, and it’s an area of astronomy I’m so pleased I got into.

Me too. I don't do a lot of solar observing but I do like using the Herschel Wedge with my refractor, especially as the Sun is gradually getting more active now :smiley:

Nice to do some warm astronomy as well !

taksolar01.JPG.9225ec7b72287f7caf830d1b321b0417.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GSmith said:

I’m another solar newbie. We had Lynn Smith from the BAA solar section do a great talk via Zoom at the local Astro society meeting recently. It’s well worth looking this up on YouTube so you can put what you see into context.

thanks! I am thinking you may mean this one 

• Like 1

So my Baader filter arrived and I tried it out just now. Problem is, I can only see a completely featurless disk with a 26mm Plossl (the sun almost filled the field of view).

Am I supposed to be able to see anything more interesting than that? Do I need any filters at the eyepiece, maybe? To improve contrast or something?

1 minute ago, StuartT said:

So my Baader filter arrived and I tried it out just now. Problem is, I can only see a completely featurless disk with a 26mm Plossl (the sun almost filled the field of view).

Am I supposed to be able to see anything more interesting than that? Do I need any filters at the eyepiece, maybe? To improve contrast or something?

Right now the siun is pretty much as you described. A baader solar continuum filter might help to bring out some granularity.

Solar and Heliospheric Observatory Homepage (nasa.gov)

Baader Solar Continuum Filter | First Light Optics

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StuartT said:

Sometimes that's all you'll see. But the sun is dynamic, so features come and go all the time. Check again tomorrow and chances are the sun will look different from yesterday. Some filters help eg, Baader continuum filter, but IMO they only make a small difference.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StuartT said:

Stuart there is a new sunspot just coming onto the north eastern limb. Its forecast to be a relatively large one. I should start checking the sun over the next few days - if the weather allows.

• Thanks 1