Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar filters - double check for safety!

I’ll post elsewhere, but I’ve just had a quick look in white light, and there are three ARs visible currently.

12806 shows as a patch of bright faculae near the limb at around 7 O’clock, refractor view. 12807 shows as three spots in a triangle, with some swirling granulation around it. The new, unclassified (12808???) AR looks good on the opposite limb just coming into view. It has a nicely formed umbral and penumbral region and some associated faculae.

The seeing isn’t great here but granulation could still be seen.

@StuartT I would expect you to be able to see these features, especially the new AR with your setup. Make sure you are precisely focused and have another good look around the limb.

Thanks all.

I guess I thought I might be able to see some surface texture with a 75x mag, but I guess I was being over optimistic. Or maybe, as you say, I'll see more just by dimming the image down a bit. I do have a CPL eyepiece filter, so I'll try that.

4 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Thanks all.

I guess I thought I might be able to see some surface texture with a 75x mag, but I guess I was being over optimistic. Or maybe, as you say, I'll see more just by dimming the image down a bit. I do have a CPL eyepiece filter, so I'll try that.

Can you see the new AR? If the seeing is reasonable you should see some surface texture definitely. Higher power is needed to see the granulation in detail.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Can you see the new AR? If the seeing is reasonable you should see some surface texture definitely. Higher power is needed to see the granulation in detail.

Sorry, what is an AR? Is that a sunspot?

Oh wow! Yes, I see it. Just coming into view on the edge. Using a 9.7mm Plossl (200x) and a circular polariser

👍😃

Edited by StuartT
  • Like 1