NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New APM "super zoom"

John

• 4 weeks later...

Finally an email from UPS to tell me my long awaited zoom is on its way, to be delivered by Friday.

I'm used to long waits for scopes and mounts, but not eyepieces till now. Lets hope its worth the wait.

@johninderby you've contributed to this thread quite a bit, and shown some interest. As you are local, if you'd like 

to borrow it and try it out, and put it through it paces, you'd be welcome. Drop me a PM sometime 🙂

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2022 at 10:38, Space Hopper said:

Finally an email from UPS to tell me my long awaited zoom is on its way, to be delivered by Friday.

I'm used to long waits for scopes and mounts, but not eyepieces till now. Lets hope its worth the wait.

@johninderby you've contributed to this thread quite a bit, and shown some interest. As you are local, if you'd like 

to borrow it and try it out, and put it through it paces, you'd be welcome. Drop me a PM sometime 🙂

Have you gotten it yet?

I just realized from reading the various CN reports on it that the presence of AMD or barrel distortion may be squeezing extra TFOV into the AFOV, enough that maybe it shows roughly the same TFOV at a given focal length as an eyepiece with a 75 degree AFOV that has strong pincushion distortion.  If it's eAFOV is greater than the 67 degree AFOV everyone seems to be seeing, this might explain the original 75 degree claim from the designers.

The 26mm Meade MWA (really a 25mm eyepiece) has an 83 to 84 degree AFOV and a 90 degree eAFOV, which is the same as the 25mm ES-100 which has a 100 degree AFOV.  Thus, the designers claim a 100 degree field of view since it sees the same TFOV as a competitor's 25mm 100 degree AFOV eyepiece.  Convoluted yes, but I can see their reasoning.  The Meade just gets there with barrel distortion instead of the ES's pincushion distortion.

I guess we need someone to measure the APM SZ's TFOV at a few focal lengths to back into the field stop diameter after taking the scope's focal length into account.

• Like 3

First look with the new Superzoom.

I'm impressed with it for sure.

It feels nice in the hand ; a good solid build with quality materials. APM stuff is nice.

The eyecup is nice and soft and its comfortable to use, not unlike my Docter 12.5mm in that regard.

I really like the clickstops ; they feel positive, and there are 9 positions -    7.7,  8,  9, 10,  11, 12, 13, 14, & 15.4mm

Its perhaps not as 'slick' as i would like between clickstops  but its not bad. Hopefully it will 'break in' a bit.

No problems focusing with it in my 140mm refractor through the zoom range, and thats with and without a 2x Powermate.

Daylight tests on a distant tree branch show it is to me, pretty much parfocal, with maybe only a tiny bit of fine refocusing needed at opposite ends of the zoom range. I do have 55 yr old eyes however.....

Following Dons advice above, i was careful inserting it into my 2" diagonal, (in 2" position) but theres about 10mm of clearance above the mirror on it, with the Powermate being about the same, so no issues there.

Shift work and a lack of clear skys this last week have stopped me getting out with it under the stars, but hopefully by the weekend, which i have free, I can try it out on Lunar and a few planets and doubles.

A few piccies.

It arrived well packaged in a nice box, like any premium eyepiece.

IMG_4164

Eyecup & lens

IMG_4167

Size comparison with an APM ultra flat 15mm, Docter 12.5mm, APM Superzoom in the middle, Tv 2" Powermate 2x, Panoptic 35mm.

IMG_4166

Daylight testing on some distant trees and cars

IMG_4168

The clickstops are nicely separated and the rubberised section that you twist has a good ergonomic feel to it.

IMG_4169

With the 2" Powermate in situ.

I had to drag the rig inside at this point as it decided to rain on me ! (Normal UK conditions !!)

IMG_4170

I'll report back once i've had it out properly.

I'm hoping to split some nice doubles with it in real time !

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

I had to drag the rig inside at this point as it decided to rain on me ! (Normal UK conditions !!)

Better than more 100+ F days.  We're still waiting for our first July rainstorm.  We also haven't been below 98 F all month.

4 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Size comparison with an APM ultra flat 15mm, Docter 12.5mm, APM Superzoom in the middle, Tv 2" Powermate 2x, Panoptic 35mm.

IMG_4166

Pretty substantially sized, isn't it?

Thanks for the early report.

• Like 3

We had 'our summer heatwave' last week Louis. All 3 days of it. We hit 40ºC !! (i believe thats 104ºF in old money)

Its currently cloudy, windy and warm with the odd shower, quite muggy and threatening to be a bit stormy (not like Texas of course thankfully !)

40 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

By the way, at 438g (15.45 oz) its quite a bit lighter than i was expecting.

Oh no, now I find it fits in with my upper and lower bounds of ideal EP weight! This could be expensive! 

Great report so far, thanks. Really interested to hear how it performs under the stars! 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Daylight testing on some distant trees and cars

IMG_4168

Just re-reading your initial thoughts @Space Hopper and this photo containing the APM zoom I decided a while ago I definitely do not need and the Baader clicklock diagonal I recently talked myself out of is acting in a very threatening manner towards my bank balance! 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looking at the price of this zoom, and thinking how it's either not wide enough or not close enough, I wonder if my money might better go on this:

image.png.26baeb01529cba08fba25331c781d6da.png

With an SLV 25, 15, 9 and 6/4/2.5 in it, who wouldn't like it? Or a set of lightish 1.25 widefields? I tried this with a Baader turret but it was a bit rubbish.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zermelo said:

I love it.
But I have to ask - looking at that 31mm, does the turret need its own counterweight?

I think I would always be nervous observing when the 31mm is pointing straight down!! 😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Nice detailed review on the technical side of things.  Based on all the feedback so far, it seems like a 7.7mm-14mm design stretched to 15.4mm to make it a 2x range.

That reminds me of comments on the BHZ not showing any more true field beyond 20mm.  From there to 24mm, it just shrinks the AFOV and magnification proportionally to keep TFOV constant, so not a particularly useful range.  Again, the design was stretched to make it a 3x range.

It definitely sounds like a good Christmas present to me from the wife.  It's not something I desperately need, but it would be a nice item to have at my disposal.  I could see it being useful for travel.  Right now, I use a Celestron Regal 8-24mm zoom for travel.

• Like 1