NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Complete beginner!

Marc

Hi there, my names Marc, i'm 19 and i live in Suffolk, England, and i really want to get into astronomy. I've always been fascinated by space and have spent countless nights staring into the skies but i've never had much of a clue where to start when it comes to buying telescopes and the like.

If anyone can refer me to books or other materials that'll get me on the right track i'd be very appreciative as when i browse this forum i don't understand half of the things i'm reading!

Really glad to find a community of people online that can help me along on my path through the stars!

Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marc!

You might want to post your questions about equipment in the 'Beginners help & advice' forum. The rule, generally is to get the most aperture you can afford, and a couple of decent eyepieces and a stable mount. A reflector (Newtonian or Dobsonian) is a good all-round scope, and gives you the most aperture for your £. I do not suggest anything less than 5" (127mm) as a starter reflector scope.

Before you buy, come here and check with the wiser heads.

Best wishes, you've chosen a wonderful hobby. :(

Before you buy any hardware I would buy Skywatch: Apractical guide to viewing the universe - can buy at amazon where 14 out of 14 people give it 5 stars - Its £ 20 - I paid £ 10 for mine from my local bookshop and they're now selling for £ 5 - even at £ 20 it will be the best £ 20 you ever spent

Teaches you

1) the major constellations

2) How to navigate your way around

3) What the different types of telescopes are

4) Why and when to use binoculars

5) Star maps for the northern and southern hemispheres

6) All about the planets and moon

7) Intro to astrophotography

And lots of other stuff

Execllent first reading and, depending on how fast you read, will get you up and running with v v v v basic astronomy in a week - at least so that you're not thrown by what you're looking at and the basic terms people use.

HTH and welcome to the group

Phil

Astronomy - a week to learn the basics, a lifetime to master

Hi Marc, and welcome to SGL.

I'm in South Suffolk, and we have several members in Suffolk, as well as some close by in North Essex.

As Steve (parallax) said, you are very welome to come along to our SGL East Anglian meet, this coming Sunday.

If you are interested, just send Private Message (PM) to Bill£, and he will let you have the details.

As has already been said, the book 'Turn Left at Orion' is an excellent starting point.

Dave

Hello Marc.

Like you, about a year ago I knew next to nothing about telescopes or space. But since then with plenty of help from this forum, I have learnt quite a bit, and also am learning to take pictures of the great stuff that is up there.

My advice would be, to decide as soon as you can, what aspect of astronomy you are interested in. For instance, do you just want to look at the objects with your own eyes, or are you keen to take photos of them? This way, you can best start your collection of astronomy tools etc with items that will be a real help to you.

I also recommend that book btw!

For starters, a reasonable pair of binoculars will go a long way to revealing alot of the secrets of the sky.

Cheers

TJ

Archived