NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tecnosky FPL-53 ED Doublet

There were quite a few threads on CN discussing about this 125ED f/7.8 when it first came out about 2 years ago. You should be able to find some user feedbacks there.

The longitudinal aberration graph of the scope looks quite far behind the TMB 130 f/9.2, but that is to be expected. And in practice (at least for visual), most eyes will not be able to tell the difference of about 200 microns (3/4 from the centre of the lens) and 300 microns (centre of the lens) in focus deviation between the far blue and far red end.

9 minutes ago, John said:

I'd love to be able to understand these charts !

I didn't understand it either, so I've tried to do a quick bit of research.

The lines represent different wavelengths of light, which I'm sure you've already understood.  It looks to me as though the horizontal scale is a measure of the deviation from the "correct" focal length of the actual focal point of that wavelength.  The vertical scale appears to be the percentage of the pupil radius at which the measurement was taken, because the position of focus of any given frequency may vary across the focal plane.

I guess ideally you want the lines to be as close together as possible over as wide a range as possible for the best image.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

Which scopes are you selling John?

Well the StellaMira 80mm f/10 has just been sold... having one myself, I know how much of a wrench that must be deciding to sell it 😢

However, this new one looks like a well specified upgrade 👍 Really interested to hear how it performs and also perhaps what sort of increase in performance you see over the StellaMira 🤞

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

Ordered from Astrograph. 😁👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Rupert says that Tecnosky are increasing their prices on March 1st so looks like that’s another brand that’s about to be hit by price rises. 

Hated selling the StellaMira but needs must as they say and the new scope will make up for it. 😁😁😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Ordered from Astrograph. 😁👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Rupert says that Tecnosky are increasing their prices on March 1st so looks like that’s another brand that’s about to be hit by price rises. 

Hated selling the StellaMira but needs must as they say and the new scope will make up for it. 😁😁😁

If this is down to shipping costs going up by x8 to x10, is Tak and Vixen going to put their prices? 

Re-reading the email from Rupert I see that he didn’t say Tecnosky was increasing prices but that Astrograph is.

“The current price of the scope will increase on March 1st as we are being forced to increase prices generally thanks to Brexit. Most astronomy products are now subject to import tariffs and increased shipping charges.”

19 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Re-reading the email from Rupert I see that he didn’t say Tecnosky was increasing prices but that Astrograph is.

“The current price of the scope will increase on March 1st as we are being forced to increase prices generally thanks to Brexit. Most astronomy products are now subject to import tariffs and increased shipping charges.”

Price increase due to Brexit. I did speak to Rupert about this (concerned prices going up) and he thought at that time B2B would not be impacted. Now this seems to of changed and so not just the pandemic. For instance due to Brexit all goods into the UK can be hit with a VAT deposit needing to be lodged, another cost.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks good John, nice focuser, plenty good enough for visual.

Also looks like a reasonable distance of travel on the focuser, unlike the grossly inadequate 45 mm you get on most Explore Scientific scopes.

John 

It's definitely better built than the SW ED Pro, so even if its of identical optical quality its still an excellent buy.  As for the graphs, they always look worse than the reality at the eyepiece.  You'll often read about doublet ED refractors, that they show colour either side of focus. I never really understood that!  I always tend to observe while the telescope is in focus. It really does look like a terrific refractor John, and im looking forward with great interest to your views on its performance. I know paulastro rates his 102ED version more highly than his 100mm SW ED. May be he'll shed more light on the difference optically!

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

What mods and add ons do you have in mind John (apart from the obvious one, of course 🤣)?

I'm looking forward to being the recipient of one of the famous Inderby handles, mounted on his CC6... these things will become collectors items one day... the handles I mean not necessarily the scope 🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I'm looking forward to being the recipient of one of the famous Inderby handles, mounted on his CC6... these things will become collectors items one day... the handles I mean not necessarily the scope 🤣

I’m still trying to get to grips with this 🤔:

image.thumb.jpg.b562f03ffc615e67c4f85ea92dcaee74.jpg

• Haha 4