Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tecnosky FPL-53 ED Doublet

Have been mulling over the idea of getting one of the Tecnosky 125 f/7.8 ED doublets APOs as it looks like a good compromise in size and weight vs performance for visual lunar / planetary use.

Would have to sell a couple of other scopes to pay for it though.

Surprisingly only 1.5kg heavier than the StellaMira 80 f/10 so it could replace it as it would be light enough to sit on my lightweight alt-az mount and Report tripod and still be grab’n’go although would be more stable on the AZ100. Would also replace the StellaLyra CC6”

So do I or don’t I ?  Perhaps grab one before the inevitable price increases hit? 🤔

86A7E63B-B616-4C7B-B0E5-F2E2FBA36D6B.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

I’ll decide tomorrow. 🤔

Emailed Widescreen about it this morning but no reply but Astrograph stocks it at the same price. Not dealt with them before but they seem well thought of on SGL

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

I’ll decide tomorrow. 🤔

Emailed Widescreen about it this morning but no reply but Astrograph stocks it at the same price. Not dealt with them before but they seem well thought of on SGL

Serious? This is a coincidence. I didnt see this thread. Did we get to the technosky last week by some sort of commercial/or other thread? I somehow ended on their website and was curious too.  Ill follow your post and the reviews you receive from other users.  Although its something different. 

Edited by Robindonne

A positive review.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.mystarrynights.at/tst/TS%20125-975%20APO/&prev=search&pto=aue

All in all, the 125 mm ED refractor was convincing in terms of both visual observation and astrophotography. It is a pure, fine look. The price is reasonable for the service offered. The redesign has done the 2 5 "RPA focuser good. It's better to work with. If I have fun with the test, it's always a good sign. And honestly, if I also really appreciate the 102 mm Tripler APO, detto the one 115 mm triplet APO, also the 130 mm triplet APO, the 125 series asserts itself as a two-lenser in this series. Thermally it has something ahead of the 130, and in terms of light output in visual observation it is almost the same. In addition, the 125 mm ED refractor is Lighter than the 130 triplet, so a handy mount like the EQ5 is sufficient for purely visual purposes, especially if you can give it a better tripod. The 130 triplet has not lost its raison d'etre, but the 125 ED is tough competition , at a significantly lower price.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John before you decide.  I visited last three days orso, you know since that moment😣, some local shops.  One of the items i had in mind was an esprit. It was priced on the edge before all went up.   I ended in Germany but I think uk has its own rebranded similar version.   

so i ended up at Technosky but also here: http://apm-telescopes-englisch.shopgate.com/item/38393132

Im too inexperienced and looking for a first triplet/apo.  
what are your thoughts on that ts photoline?   

From what I have read the doublet has advantages such as quicker cool down than the triplet and visually very close in performance but would expect the triplet to have the edge for AP. The triplet would require a stronger  mount.

Think it comes down to how much AP ypu would use it for.

Edited by johninderby

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

From what I have read the doublet has advantages such as quicker cool down than the triplet and visually very close in performance but would expect the triplet to have the edge for AP. The triplet would require a stronger  mount.

Think it comes down to how much AP ypu would use it for.

Thats probably very true. So no big no’s for this particular 130 triplet.   Then we have to hurry like you mentioned.  Before other brands also do a non-spaceX launch with their prices.  Go up and never return

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, johninderby said:

I’ll decide tomorrow. 🤔

5992AC42-67EF-474C-AE81-9D615D9A25FF.thumb.jpeg.6f51ed86a6e310ee2256ac7d22763983.jpeg

11 hours ago, johninderby said:

Bit more info. Also supposed to be the same optics as in the WO Zenithstar 126

A1FFD897-E8F7-4426-990B-BD6322AEE1D4.jpeg

I'd love to be able to understand these charts !

This is the one for the LZOS 130 F/9 triplet for comparison:

Image result for lzos 130 triplet

The 125 ED doublet scope does look really tempting though :smiley:

I recall when the Altair 125 ED doublet came out it caused quite a stir. The Tecnosky is less expensive though but I wonder if otherwise they are the same scope ?

I've spoken with Rupert as Astrograph on a couple of things (he used to stock the T-Rex mount and still carries the LZOS / APM refractors) and he seems a really helpful and knowledgeable chap.

If you get one, I will really look forward to reading your views on it :smiley:

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

The only difference between the Altair and Technosky version is the focuser. The Tecnosky has a 2.5” R&P and the Altair has a 3.7”. The 2.5” is more than adequate for visual and lighter anyway.

One scope just sold this morning so just awaiting payment so will shortly be putting in the order with Astrograh.😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, johninderby said:

I’ll decide tomorrow. 🤔

I’ve dealt with Astrograph. Marcus Ludes at APM recommend him, and @GavStar as well.  If you ask Rupert he would star test the scope before shipping...

Note: Chinese New Year for another week.

Edited by Deadlake