NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tecnosky FPL-53 ED Doublet

John.  As Mike said, I bought the 102 f7 version, also from Rupert, just before Christmas.  Very few observing opportunities since, hence I havent posted a review yet.

However, in the few, and brief, opportunities I've had, I am already delighted with it.

Build quality really good and the focuser, the same as on your 125 version, is excellent.  

Optically it does seem excellent, and it seems a tad better than the many ED Pro SWs I've used and owned .  I dont have a 120 or a 100 for a direct comparison, but either way if the 125 performs as well pro rata as my 102, I'm sure you will be delighted with it.

I'll look forward to hearing how you get along with it.

• Like 1

I love my 102 ED-R, I am sure you would love it's big sister. I know we all have a tendancy to get behind I scope we have just bought, but they do seems to be very good value for money.

Perhaps the lack of a big brand name keeps the cost down a little?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes 🙂🙂🙂🥳🥳🥳

The scope is being shipped from Astrograph today so not much longer to wait. Ordered on Sat 13th so not bad considering it had to be shipped from Italy to Astrograph.. 👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I currently have a SW 120ED, and I was also thinking about this refractor at the time. Same optics as TS Photoline, StellarVue, Altair, etc. On the Cloudy Nights forums there was discussion regarding the quality of the optics of these tubes. The interferometric reports that StellarVue offered upon request, as Altair does in all those it sells, were made on 95% of the lens (from Altair I don't know), not on 100%, apparently in order to mask something the real quality of the optics. Finally StellarVue stopped selling them, I don't really know why. Certainly the mechanical quality is superior to that of the SW, although I doubt that it is optically. I also consulted with Jon Teus, a Spanish salesperson who reviews for Tribuna de Astronomía magazine and whom I totally trust. He told me that the SW had better quality control in terms of optics.
Some reviews:
Interferometric tests from https://teleskop-austria.at/ and http://r2.astro-foren.com/index.php/de/
http://interferometrie.blogspot.com/2015/04/120900-equinox-and-ed-apo.html
http://r2.astro-foren.com/index.php/de/berichte/02-ed-optiken-halb-apos-und-frauenhofer-systeme

Reviews I’ve read praise the consistency of the optics so sorry if I dissagree with you. I had an Equinox 120 and the optics were disappointing. and so I sold it. Apparently I had a poor example. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't let Acrab67s comments spoil your enjoyment of purchasing your new scope John - it would be a shame.  

I predict that either on Thursday or Friday (depending on when you have first light), you will be one happy owner.

My 102ED version is a fine scope, and I'm sure yours will be the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I wouldn't let Acrab67s comments spoil your enjoyment of purchasing your new scope John - it would be a shame.  

I predict that either on Thursday or Friday (depending on when you have first light), you will be one happy owner.

My 102ED version is a fine scope, and I'm sure yours will be the same.

Yes I am indeed looking forward to trying the new scope out.

Gave razor sharp views of lamposts this afternoon while aligning the finder. 😁

Not too heavy either. Easy to fit to the AZ100 and after playing about with positioning now balances perfectly at any angle. 👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Reviews I’ve read praise the consistency of the optics so sorry if I dissagree with you. I had an Equinox 120 and the optics were disappointing. and so I sold it. Apparently I had a poor example. 

And thank you very much for trying to ruin my enjoyment of  the purchase of a new scope. 🤬🤬🤬

Glad I didn’t buy that one John... 😉

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Glad I didn’t buy that one John... 😉

Should have sent it to ES Reid for a checkover. 

It just didn’t impress me and the person that bought it thought it was OK. Maybe I was being over critical. 🤔

Edited by johninderby

On 13/02/2021 at 11:29, John said:

I'd love to be able to understand these charts !

This is the one for the LZOS 130 F/9 triplet for comparison:

Image result for lzos 130 triplet

Its not really though is it as that diagram has no 435nm line on it for some reason it only gos as low as 480nm and has a 486nm line too...very odd.

Adam

My comment is not intended to ruin anything for anyone, moreover, I hope your telescope has exceptional optics. I only expose some aspects in relation to these tubes compared to the SW 120ED, in case someone else was in the same position when choosing between these two tubes. If you have been offended, I'm sorry, it was not my intention, All the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Acrab67 said:

I currently have a SW 120ED, and I was also thinking about this refractor at the time. Same optics as TS Photoline, StellarVue, Altair, etc. On the Cloudy Nights forums there was discussion regarding the quality of the optics of these tubes. The interferometric reports that StellarVue offered upon request, as Altair does in all those it sells, were made on 95% of the lens (from Altair I don't know), not on 100%, apparently in order to mask something the real quality of the optics. Finally StellarVue stopped selling them, I don't really know why. Certainly the mechanical quality is superior to that of the SW, although I doubt that it is optically. I also consulted with Jon Teus, a Spanish salesperson who reviews for Tribuna de Astronomía magazine and whom I totally trust. He told me that the SW had better quality control in terms of optics.
Some reviews:
Interferometric tests from https://teleskop-austria.at/ and http://r2.astro-foren.com/index.php/de/
http://interferometrie.blogspot.com/2015/04/120900-equinox-and-ed-apo.html
http://r2.astro-foren.com/index.php/de/berichte/02-ed-optiken-halb-apos-und-frauenhofer-systeme

I used to own one of those two, a SW ED 120, not as good optically as the ED100 I also owned, but not a bad scope at all. I bought a Starwave from Altair about a month, optically the best scope I ever owned, including a couple of OO dobs, but I guess that is like compaing apples and oranges so not really a fair comparrison. CA much better controlled in the Starwave scopes compared to even the ED100, which was a pretty good scope, obviously the build quality is a bit on the basic side like a lot SW refractors dodgy focusers and all that. I have yet to hear a bad word said about any of these scopes, but hey ho, there is always one isn't there!

Edited by Carl Au

2 hours ago, Carl Au said:

I bought a Starwave from Altair about a month, optically the best scope I ever owned

They look to be Sharpstar Optics made scopes based on the mechanicals.  I have one of theirs as a TS-Optics 90mm FPL-53 triplet.  I love the mechanicals as much as the optics.  For instance, I've come to the conclusion from using it that every frac should have a camera rotator at the end of the focuser to safely and smoothly rotate a heavily loaded diagonal to the side.  I prefer it to rotating the whole tube in the rings, rotating the focuser only, or simply loosening the diagonal and rotating it.  The focuser is buttery smooth.  The optics are impeccable as well.  SO seems to be positioning itself as a premium telescope maker.

It's a great looking scope John :thumbright:

I'm looking forward to hearing how it performs. There has been much posted on these scopes under different brandings over the past few years but little in the way of a balanced and comprehensive assessment.

If the performance matches it's looks then the current purchase price looks a bargain :smiley:

I’ve started a new thread for the scope now and changed the name of this thread to cater to a more general discussion of these FPL53 doublets of various apertures.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/372610-tecnosky-125975-f78-fpl-53-doublet-apo-first-look/

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

• johninderby changed the title to Tecnosky FPL-53 ED Doublet
  • 1 month later...

Recently acquired Tecnosky 102/700 F7 FPL-53 Doublet APO 

Unfortunately I have not been able to test it as I am still waiting for my mount which will hopefully be here next week, but build quality and feel are fantastic.

102_APO.jpg

• Like 3

I'd be  very surprised if you're not really delighted with it.  I took delivery of mine it mid December and it's a stunning performer - and I've owned and used more scopes than I can remember in the last fifty years! 🙂

• Like 2