Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cleaning a refractor

I have used the Baader cleaning kit (wonder fluid and microfibre cloth) to clean such marks off my objectives.

Make sure there is nothing on the cloth (I keep mine in a resealable pouch), and spray some fluid on the cloth not the lens , then polish gently until the fluid evaporates away, seems to remove them easily.

• Like 1

I too have used on my TeleVue Ranger, ETX106 meniscus cell and C6/SCT corrector plate. Also my e/p's, filters and other accessories, plus my binoculars, cameras and lenses, magnifying glasses, etc. You name it, I have used it, whether stated or not, including my car! - I have even used on the primary mirror & secondary, (though not recommended apparently), without any issue on the ETX105. 

1 hour ago, Neil H said:

Hi everyone I have the besser 127 refractor and the objective lens is showing signs of dew dry on marks on the lens , can I use the baader wonder fluid on it to remove the marks 

You probably know this already, but just in case ...

Whatever you do, before going anywhere near a lens with a cloth and wiping it, use a blower to be absolutely sure you have any tiny bits of loose dust and grit removed, you don't want to drag them across the lens . Best method is to have the lens pointing down so the debris falls away, and use something decent quality like a 'rocket blower' with a soft tip in case of accidental contact  . Giottos are the classic ones, but Lenspen are a reliable brand and about half the price , beware very cheap ones which might have dust inside from the factory .

Heather

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Looks good Neil, . I'd be confident FLO wouldn't sell a dodgy version of the bulb blower.

Still, as a cautious person ,I'd give the new blower a few squirts away from the lens before using it. I store mine between uses in a zip seal plastic bag so it doesn't accidentally pick up any nasties. A bit neurotic perhaps, but I'd rather be extra careful than wreck a lens.

Coincidentally , I ordered the Baader fluid & cloth off FLO and it arrived this morning, I've never used it before ( my previous experience has always been with camera lenses, and I always screwed a protective filter on the front the day I bought them , so didn't feel the need for expensive cleaning fluids ) The front glass of the little  127 mak is still clean at the moment, but I want to be prepared for when it isn't !

Heather

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Haha @Tiny Clanger I am the same zip lock with all the cleaning kit! I have only played with cleaning filters and some EP (blower and cloth) so far. My objective does show some dew marking but honestly until I see any effect on my view I am inclined not to clean it as I am sure a big cleaning mark across it will be worse!

Edited by wibblefish
  • Like 2

A vote for baader fluid from me. I have been using it for years on all optical glass surfaces without any issues.
That being assorted eyepeices, scope onbjectives, binoculars and specs.

Unlike Philip (earlier post) I find it a bit expensive as a car screenwash🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neil H said:

I have an empty tub with lid just for the cleaning kit to go in 

I am like you Heather a bit OCD lol

2 hours ago, wibblefish said:

Haha @Tiny Clanger I am the same zip lock with all the cleaning kit! I have only played with cleaning filters and some EP (blower and cloth) so far. My objective does show some dew marking but honestly until I see any effect on my view I am inclined not to clean it as I am sure a big cleaning mark across it will be worse!

I have to admit that while I'm a tad OCD about camera lenses , which has carried over to 'scope optics , I have a somewhat ... cavalier approach to cleaning the filters that live on the front of my camera lenses . It comes I think from having seen them as work tools more than prized possessions. I never put a lens cap on a lens while it is on a camera unless it is being stored away , precious seconds lost taking it off when you need the camera in a hurry, and I habitually carry a camera with me wherever I go , so the filter can get pretty filthy.  I've cleaned those sacrificial (relatively cheap)  filters with a huff and a wipe of the t-shirt many times , something I'd never contemplate doing to the actual lens beneath, or any other exposed glass surface .

And I'm firmly of the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' opinion too , unnecessary tinkering too often causes more problems than when you start ...

Heather

On 30/01/2021 at 15:10, Philip R said:

I have even used on the primary mirror & secondary, (though not recommended apparently), without any issue on the ETX105. 

I read that too and it worked fine on the 200p, does anyone know why it is not recommended for mirrors?

• Thanks 1

The Baader Wonder is really good stuff.

I've only ever used it on eyepieces, and on one occasion, on a SCT corrector plate and it worked a treat on that.

However, i've never cleaned a refractor lens or primary / secondary mirror with it, and am not even sure if its suited for mirrors.

A tip from me......use a blower bulb first to remove any fine particles which you've got.

Then spray on to cloth and use cloth carefully on the glass. Check results. Once done move on to another, unused part of the cloth.

Its a pretty big cloth and will do quite a bit of cleaning.

But i wouldn't wash the cloth, once used. I'd bin it, and order a new one. They are only £5 and your optics are many many times more valuable than that.

My bulb blower lost its plastic tip in a drawer closing accident. So I slipped a bit of a silicone tubing over it. Now it's soft in the head. ;)
I bought a rouge mop from the make-up department at the chemist as my lens brush insurance prior to using the microfibre cloth.

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't touch it. If it's just a few dew marks what does it matter? Cleaning optics always comes with a certain risk attached. However if you are going to do it the Baader Wonderfluid is the way to go, afer you have had a bulb blower over it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Question is do you soda blast the Tak or sand blast it clean or acid dip it? 🤔😁

I honestly don’t think I will ever have to worry about cleaning a tak. Too much money for me but I do like their hamerite finishes 😆 (sorry tak owners) 

• Haha 1