Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help me spend my money!

Hi all,

So, I'm in the market for a refracter for astrophotography (might look through it a handful of times, but l would say >95% photography use). Main use would be medium to large sized DSOs.

I'm currently torn between spending more on a higher spec model, specifically the Esprit 100, or keeping costs much more reasonable and going for the Evostar 80. Both have similar fields of view and similar focal lengths, but if I were to go for the Evostar, I could probably also convince myself l could afford a 6" RC for small objects and galaxies as well... 😁

Would be interested to hear opinions of owners, and if there are any owners of both, how do they compare to each other in your experiences? 

Also open to any other suggestions anyone may have. 

Thanks. 

I have both. I acquired the Esprit not long ago.

ED80 - much lighter, you'll need to improve the camera fixing (I use a clicklock), you may need to adjust the focuser

Esprit 100 - fantastic glass, quicker capture, great focuser and camera mount

5 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

I have both. I acquired the Esprit not long ago.

ED80 - much lighter, you'll need to improve the camera fixing (I use a clicklock), you may need to adjust the focuser

Esprit 100 - fantastic glass, quicker capture, great focuser and camera mount

Sounds to me like you'd put the Esprit head and shoulders above the ed80 then? 

5 hours ago, Neil27 said:

Have you considered one of these - 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sharpstar-telescopes/sharpstar-94edph-f5-5-triplet-ed-apo-telescope.html

Similar to the Esprit, around £450 cheaper, may leave some pennies over for a nice secondhand C8?

Good luck hunting, always love spending someone else’s money 😉

I thought about that, but was a little apprehensive as it's more of an unknown quantity, so to speak, compared to the Esprit and ed80 which are well established.

Any Sharpstar owners around who can comment?

Esprit, no question... don't get me wrong the 80ed punches above it's price tag but I was really shocked when I got mine.. superb scope.. would I buy another? Yes I undoubtedly would..

With regards to the RC,yes they're £400 brand new but have you put aside enough for all the collimation tools,  probably another focuser.... ?

I have some astro catalogues that date back to the late 1980's and it is interesting to look at what was available then and the prices. Astro equipment is generally a lot less expensive than it used to be and the choice far, far wider :smiley:

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

With regards to the RC,yes they're £400 brand new but have you put aside enough for all the collimation tools,  probably another focuser.... ?

Collimation tools, probably another focuser and a hair transplant for when you have ripped your own out and a private prescription for maximum dose of Valium 😉 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Neil27 said:

Have you considered one of these - 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sharpstar-telescopes/sharpstar-94edph-f5-5-triplet-ed-apo-telescope.html

Similar to the Esprit, around £450 cheaper, may leave some pennies over for a nice secondhand C8?

I'd say the jury is out on this one at the minute.  

12 hours ago, John said:

I have some astro catalogues that date back to the late 1980's and it is interesting to look at what was available then and the prices. Astro equipment is generally a lot less expensive than it used to be and the choice far, far wider :smiley:

Very true. No doubt about the Chinese have (ironically) democratized astronomy.

• Like 1