Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Intel nuc so confused...so many...???

Excellent setups I see here 😀

So I have order mine , the NUC 8i5BEK which is the slim version , I will pick it up tomorrow and start installing all the necessary software.

I chose that over the others because the price difference was very small and maybe in the future I can do processing directly in the nuc than in my laptop.

I was wondering what would be the best solution for remote connection , wired or over wi-fi ?

If wired ,then do I need a cable to run from my laptop to the NUC outside ?what kind of cable usb or CAT5/6 ?

If you can, then I would recommend wired. You will need a router to plug in the ethernet cable running to your NUC (or just use your existing router). The laptop can then join the same network either by also being connected to the router by a cable or via wifi.

On 20/01/2021 at 12:21, gilesco said:

There are a number of focus options, in addition to the below you can also force a focus on a filter change. I think refocus after meridian flip is either in the pipeline or already there as well.

Screenshot_20210120_121829.png.91ec38521bdc996b860914530d263bfe.png

The problem I have is that the focusing algorithm on Ekos is pretty weak - it works well maybe 50% of the time, but has loads of ways of going wrong - so it's not that the scheduling is an issue, rather I don't trust it to focus well.

Otherwise I'm actually been very pleasantly surprised how well it works - and the focus issue could probably be solved by experimenting more with the settings - I haven't, because it's not like we have an excess of clear nights!

26 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

Otherwise I'm actually been very pleasantly surprised how well it works - and the focus issue could probably be solved by experimenting more with the settings - I haven't, because it's not like we have an excess of clear nights!

You know how you can sometimes connect "dummy" hardware to the system?  What we need is a dummy sky.

James

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 12:38, alacant said:

Hi

Why not simply leave your laptop at the telescope and control it using your 'phone/tablet/desktop using vnc/teamviewer/autodesk? From anywhere.

Cheers

Actually just to follow up , i tested the other day and it works pretty well....only that the tablet monitor is small even though 10''inch , it was a bit difficult to press buttons with my finger , i prefer using a mouse and a bigger monitor....but it worked !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngryDonkey said:

If you can, then I would recommend wired. You will need a router to plug in the ethernet cable running to your NUC (or just use your existing router). The laptop can then join the same network either by also being connected to the router by a cable or via wifi.

I think i will need a long ethernet cable from the router inside my house to the balcony were the NUC will be, or maybe i can try a wifi extender but then again it's actually wifi connection...the thing is if there are any advantages using a wired connection in terms of speed and not to have disconnection issues due to weak signal or lag etc..

1 minute ago, Nikolas74 said:

Wired connections generally speaking yes they are more reliable , in my case is it wired connection from router to NUC or wired connection from laptop directly to NUC ?

Whichever is most convenient, I guess.  Going via the router is probably easier because you'd possibly need a crossover cable to go direct from the laptop to the NUC, which means you'd probably need to make it yourself, and it makes the networking configuration simpler.

James

37 minutes ago, Nikolas74 said:

I tested the other day and it works

The main advantage for us is that you can be in London/the pub/at work and still have control over your session here in Spain. If you don't like fingers on a tablet, you can plug in a mouse. A refurbished laptop is another idea and probably more economical than a nuc and a long cable to trip over!

Cheers

2 hours ago, Nikolas74 said:

I think i will need a long ethernet cable from the router inside my house to the balcony were the NUC will be, or maybe i can try a wifi extender but then again it's actually wifi connection...the thing is if there are any advantages using a wired connection in terms of speed and not to have disconnection issues due to weak signal or lag etc..

If the long ethernet wire is too cumbersome, consider using some ethernet power line adapters.  

What a beautiful little thing 😀 its even smaller than looking at photo, a bit heavier than what expected so it's better to mount it on the pier than on top of the telescope. 

I bought also 16GB of RAM which should be more than enough and an SSD Samsung EvoPlus 250GB.

Now its time to install everything from scratch and make a good solid network with it so I can remote control.... Let's see.... 

I feel like Santa came back for me.... 😁

IMG_20210125_170741.jpg

• Like 1

If it helps, my NUC (same model as yours) is attached vertically to the back of my monitor's arm. I'm using a couple bands of 3M Dual Lock bands, which is truly amazing! It's similar to velcro, but much, much stronger :) So far the adhesive has proven very good too, unlike cheap velcro that tend to peel off after some time. That NUC is really going nowhere!

I use it to attach things to my tripod, like the power supply or the small Raspberry PI computers. But also to stick for example multiple power strips below my furniture, so it stays hidden and not on the ground. I definitely recommend it if you want to attach stuff to your pier and be able to remove them from time to time, over traditional velcro.

There are some of the Dual Lock bands that are specifically designed for outdoor and/or metal supports apparently: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/dual-lock-reclosable-fasteners-us/

And good point mentioned by Nicolàs, you can indeed change the color and intensity of the LED indicators in the BIOS, very handy to hunt down annoying lights :)  Although the 8i5BEK doesn't seem to have this luminous rectangle, only the power button and a couple indicators are lit.

Edited by Space Oddities
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Nikolas74 said:

I didn't know there is a light there....!! I will check it out. 

Hi Nikolas,

Just found out that the Ring LED is only featured on the 6 and 7 models (I have a 7): https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023554/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-mini-pcs.html

But I remember I could also change the colour of the power-button, so it is worth giving it a look in order to get rid of the blue light.

Nicolàs

• Thanks 1

I am so amazed on how easy things can be now....

I don't have an observatory but my rig is setup on a pier with wheels.. Now the only thing I have to do is to bring my rig out in the balcony, place it on my floor marks pointing North, make a polar alignment with Polemaster... and after go back to my living room and control everything with my laptop.. 

Currently I am using Team Viewer... Any other recommendations maybe? 

3 hours ago, Nikolas74 said:

I am so amazed on how easy things can be now....

I don't have an observatory but my rig is setup on a pier with wheels.. Now the only thing I have to do is to bring my rig out in the balcony, place it on my floor marks pointing North, make a polar alignment with Polemaster... and after go back to my living room and control everything with my laptop.. 

Currently I am using Team Viewer... Any other recommendations maybe? 

I find RealVNC better than teamviewer...after having tried both...👍🏼

6 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I find Windows 10 RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) better than anything else.

Yes, it’s good, but I dont like the way that if you have a disconnection, it opens another instance and desktop when you reconnect, rather than re starting the same one, so you have to start everything al over again...

14 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes, it’s good, but I dont like the way that if you have a disconnection, it opens another instance and desktop when you reconnect, rather than re starting the same one, so you have to start everything al over again...

Thats not what happens on mine - the remote machine carries on running and the new connection just reconnects without having to restart anything at all.

I often deliberately disconnect to focus on doing something indoors then reconnect to check that all is well outside - no issues.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Thats not what happens on mine - the remote machine carries on running and the new connection just reconnects without having to restart anything at all.

I often deliberately disconnect to focus on doing something indoors then reconnect to check that all is well outside - no issues.

Ok, it’s been a long time since I have used it as I hate windows, and am strictly Linux now...so obviously much better than it was...👍🏼

I use TeamViewer, which works quite well. The only downside of it is when I want to reboot the NUC, TeamViewer is closed before a log-off script (which waits 30 seconds to shutdown my mount) has been executed. If I want to stop that log-off script (in order to keep the mount up and running), I need to reconnect (yes, that is possible at that stage) and stop that script, after which the reboot commences without problems. A friend uses Remote Desktop, which disconnects after the script is executed (he uses that same script).

I have configured TV to only accept local LAN connections, so that it is not possible to access the NUC from outside our home.

Nicolàs