Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frank’s Book of the Telescope

Moonshed

18 hours ago, Moonshed said:

Hi Dave, You are the only other person I know that bought that reflector from Charles Frank and got the free book. Can you remember the year? I think it was 1962. I can’t remember what I paid for it but £16 popped into my head. I kept that scope for about 15 years and then gave it to a budding astronomer. It was cheap, the main mirror was held in place by basically a bicycle clip that held it against a couple of stops. It had a rubber bung glued to the centre so you could hold it while removing the bicycle clip and removing the mirror for cleaning. It was as basic as they come but it worked just fine and got me started in astronomy all those years ago.

OoopS! my mistake the Small EQ with the plastic setting circles came from Fullerscopes the following year....Dave

Just now, DAVE AMENDALL said:

OoopS! my mistake the Small EQ with the plastic setting circles came from Fullerscopes the following year....Dave

It was June 1963 when I ordered mine and was delivered end of August with apologies for the delay. I also ordered a small EQ with plastic setting circles

17 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

It was June 1963 when I ordered mine and was delivered end of August with apologies for the delay. I also ordered a small EQ with plastic setting circles

Hi Dave, thanks for the info, I’m pretty sure that’s the same year I bought my 4” Newtonian. I seem to remember that the delays in meeting the orders was due to the huge demand created by Sky at Night promoting that special offer. It was a great little scope, cheap and cheerful.

Great thread!

Although I was not around when Frank's were still operating, the first scope I ever looked through as a young lad - and which years later became my first scope - is a 6“ F8 Charles Frank newt which belonged to my Grandfather. 

It was given to him by the Chesterfield  Observatory (Derbyshire) / astro society where is he was a member and looks to be one of the deluxe versions, mostly original with a few modifications, such as an added Cruezet Valence AC motor. 

The finder is an Aldis WW2 illuminated gunsight and the tripod is British military / govt from a Ross of London binocular gunsight, and the focuser is a helical 0.965 push-fit or you can unscrew the push fit to reveal a RAS thread. 

It came with three EPs - two swift circle-t Kellners, 20mm and 12mm, and a RAS threaded, unknown focal length and rather loftily named "Charles Frank Ultra Wide". 

I eventually picked up a copy of Frank's Book of the Telescope and I'm always on the lookout for more of those volcano top Kellners in the other focal lengths and more info to add to the history of the scope! 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, badhex said:

The finder is an Aldis WW2 illuminated gunsight and the tripod is British military / govt from a Ross of London binocular gunsight, and the focuser is a helical 0.965 push-fit or you can unscrew the push fit to reveal a RAS thread. 

@Nigella Bryant looking at your photo again, I think, apart from the pier instead of the tripod, the above is true of yours too?! 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1

Hi I have pair of Charles Franks 10x50  Nipole  binoculars and they are really good made in Japan .

Charles also produced a book 1958 called Franks book of the telescope, which makes excellent reading.

When we first got interested in astronomy in the 1950,60s we made up eye pieces and finders from army surplus lenses and I and my old friend still use these eyepieces today.

My first real telescope was a Fullerscope 6 inch reflector which I still have Happy days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kimboman said:

Hi I have pair of Charles Franks 10x50  Nipole  binoculars and they are really good made in Japan .

Charles also produced a book 1958 called Franks book of the telescope, which makes excellent reading.

Erm..... ahhhh...well now....how to put this.... if you take a look at the title to this thread you will note that it says: “Frank’s Book of the Telescope”. What can I say? 🤔 The first page here makes interesting reading regarding the book with comments from a number of members.

Thanks for you for comments, it’s been such a surprise to me that so many people have had, and still have, a copy of that great  little book.

Keith

Edited by Moonshed

The thought just occurred, that around the time I found a hardcopy, I also managed to to track down a PDF version - I've attached here for your delight!

Of note is that the same illustrations posted by @Moonshed occur on different pages in this scanned PDF version - pages 118 and 122  in the pdf rather than 112 and 115. Presumably, then, there must be a couple of editions released.

CharlesFrank-FranksBookOfTheTelescope.pdf

Screenshot 2020-12-09 at 14.58.43.png

Screenshot 2020-12-09 at 14.58.52.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I've really enjoyed this thread so much I've managed to get a copy of the book. Just thought it was nice to have seeing I'd had a Charles Frank telescope but no longer have the scope.

I’m glad you managed to find a copy, I’m genuinely amazed that so many are still around, we should form a club “Frank’s book of the Telescope” as it’s officially vintage.

• Haha 1

Hi  everyone, great thread. I purchased (or rather my father) a Charles Frank  Junior Astronomical Telescope in the early 1960's. It was basically, if I remember correctly, a long focal length 40mm refractor, with a simple objective glued into the end of a cardboard tube ! It had a fixed magnification of around 30x and provided good views of the moon but little else.  This was all for the extortionate price of  £4.19s.6d  in old money.  However, I too received a complimentary copy of the holy bible, ie, Charles Franks Book of the Telescope. I concur with others that this was a great little, almost iconic, publication.  Unfortunately, only a few years later, I lent my copy to a school friend, another budding astronomer, and sadly that was the last I saw of it.  However, about 10 years ago I managed to secure a replacement in good condition.  Thus no real harm done, just be careful who you lend your copy to, "beware astronomers bearing gifts" !    Clear Skies,    Chris.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BRADLEY 1953 said:

However, I too received a complimentary copy of the holy bible, ie, Charles Franks Book of the Telescope. 

You’ve given me a thought, perhaps we should float the idea that all astronomical club meetings should begin with a short reading from it and then pass the collection plate round.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Moonshed said:

You’ve given me a thought, perhaps we should float the idea that all astronomical club meetings should begin with a short reading from it and then pass the collection plate round.

Maybe with a quick peek through some binos to represent the Eyes of Our Lord Charles Frank 😊

• Haha 2

The Charles Frank Book of the Telescope has been accepted as the Bible on this thread. But one must not forget the supporting Hymn books such as:    The Observer's Book of Astronomy by Patrick Moore published by  Fredrick Warne & Co 1962.  pocket edition hardback.  ....Dave 

Edited by DAVE AMENDALL
typo
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

.... But one must not forget the supporting Hymn books such as:    The Observer's Book of Astronomy by Patrick Moore published by  Fredrick Warne & Co 1962.  pocket edition hardback.  ....Dave 

That's the one that got me started :grin:

It was actually given to my brother but I nicked it ! :icon_evil:

I've still got it somewhere, must dig it out.

I slightly more controversial one that I personally enjoyed was "The Light Hearted Astronomer" by Ken Fulton. I appreciate that it is not everyone's cup of tea though.

Ken Fulton the Light Hearted Astronomer has passed away. - Classic  Telescopes - Cloudy Nights

• Like 1

Reading this thread brought back so many memories. I original bought the Charles Frank Junior Telescope and then looked at the 3 Newts on offer. I think the 4" was advertised in mail order catalogues and I remember that a local youth club bought one paying so much per week. If I remember the 8+ inch newt was a truss design?? - I so wanted one.

In the end I obtained a 6" Newt made with a wooden tube and this was place on a Charles Frank EQ mount. The attached poor photo from 1972 shows the scope with the Charles Frank Junior Astro Scope on the top.

secondtelescope.aug72.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Reading this thread brought back so many memories. I original bought the Charles Frank Junior Telescope and then looked at the 3 Newts on offer. I think the 4" was advertised in mail order catalogues and I remember that a local youth club bought one paying so much per week. If I remember the 8+ inch newt was a truss design?? - I so wanted one.

In the end I obtained a 6" Newt made with a wooden tube and this was place on a Charles Frank EQ mount. The attached poor photo from 1972 shows the scope with the Charles Frank Junior Astro Scope on the top.

secondtelescope.aug72.jpg

Hi Mark,

Just looking at that 1972 photo makes you appreciate how much scopes have changed over the years, to think they were  making 6” Newts with square wooden tubes, the end result was the same though! I wonder how many of those are still around, I can’t imagine a wooden box frame would hold its shape well over the years, or do they?

Perhaps if any members are the proud owners of a wooden tube scope they could stick their hand up.

Keith

Edited by Moonshed

3 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Perhaps if any members are the proud owners of a wooden tube scope they could stick their hand up.

Here's one for you.  Not mine, but Patrick Moore's, with Damian Peach in attendance.

spacer.png

James

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Yikes, wooden scopes are so wrong

You do need to do an awful lot of polishing to make a good mirror, it's true.  It's still a lot easier than making a wooden refractor though.

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 2